2013 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ed24

Re: 2013 Silly Season Thread

Post by Ed24 »

James1978 wrote:With Sauber looking as if they could beat Merc in the constructors championship (they could have been even closer if not for Perez stuffing it in the wall), Hamilton could end up with car 12 next year which Ayrton Senna had for 4 seasons.....(I reckon Rosberg will have the lower number being the incumbent)!

A pity that he didn't stay at McLaren as should they have come 3rd in the WCC - with Lewis ahead of Button - Hamilton would've had numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 in succession!
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Ed24 wrote:
James1978 wrote:With Sauber looking as if they could beat Merc in the constructors championship (they could have been even closer if not for Perez stuffing it in the wall), Hamilton could end up with car 12 next year which Ayrton Senna had for 4 seasons.....(I reckon Rosberg will have the lower number being the incumbent)!

A pity that he didn't stay at McLaren as should they have come 3rd in the WCC - with Lewis ahead of Button - Hamilton would've had numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 in succession!

Yep that was a thought too - I'd say looking less likely now though as if Alonso doesn't win the drivers championship, McLaren will have 3 and 4 again next year.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

James1978 wrote:Yep that was a thought too - I'd say looking less likely now though as if Alonso doesn't win the drivers championship, McLaren will have 3 and 4 again next year.

Well with Massa on form at the moment, I'd say the battle for 2nd (and potentially even 1st if Webber doesn't score heavily soon) isn't over yet in the WCC.
-Abraham Lincoln
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Some speculations around silly season:

-Gutierrez and Hulkenberg are the favourites for Sauber seats. Kobayashi's seat is in danger because lack of sponsors. :(
-Pic or Buemi will replace Petrov at Caterham in next season.
-Massa already signed your contract renewal.
Last edited by Dj_bereta on 12 Oct 2012, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

So...

Red Bull
Sebastian Vettel
Mark Webber

McLaren
Jenson Button
Sergio Peréz

Ferrari
Fernando Alonso
Felipe Massa

Lotus
Kimi Raikkonen
Romain Grosjean

Mercedes
Lewis Hamilton
Nico Rosberg

Sauber
Kamui Kobayashi [I fancy him to pick up some sponsorship - he's been schmoozing Japanese companies recently)
Esteban Gutierrez [for the Telmex monies]

Force India
Paul di Resta
Nico Hulkenberg

Williams
Pastor Maldonado
Valtteri Bottas

Toro Rosso
Daniel Ricciardo
Jean-Eric Vergne

Marussia
Timo Glock
Max Chilton

Caterham
Heikki Kovalainen
Charles Pic

HRT
Pedro de la Rosa
Dani Clos
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Remember when james allen posted that thing being worried about the future of F1 with the sponsorship embargo? Well with Kamui-sama in trouble on this he could be closer to the truth than we gave him credit for.
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Dj_bereta wrote:-Gutierrez and Hulkenberg are the favourites for Sauber seats. Kobayashi's seat is in danger because lack of sponsors. :(

How does that make sense? Kobayashi has sponsorship issues and Mr. "Look at me I am such a special snowflake, I don't need no personal sponsors for a F1 seat" Nico Hülkenberg is supposed to replace him? If we were talking about an experienced driver here, then that would perhaps make sense, but Kobayashi and Hülkenberg are both on three seasons now (if we count Hülkenberg's first FI season).
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Dj_bereta wrote:-Gutierrez and Hulkenberg are the favourites for Sauber seats. Kobayashi's seat is in danger because lack of sponsors. :(

According to Martin Brundle in Suzuka, Massa was one of the people to predict that line-up at Sauber. :lol:

Who knew that drivers were involved in spreading rumours in the silly season!
-Abraham Lincoln
cbbcisace

Post by cbbcisace »

This is what EJ thinks for the rest of the seats..

andrewbensonf1: EJ's 2013 predictions: Hulkenberg to Sauber with Kobayashi; Sutil or Alguersuari join Di Resta at Force India; Bottas in Williams with Mal, Chilton joins Glock at Marussia; Pic likely to join Kovalainen at Caterham; De la Rosa and maybe Senna at HRT
HRT - who else would you support :P
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

cbbcisace wrote:This is what EJ thinks for the rest of the seats..

andrewbensonf1: EJ's 2013 predictions: Hulkenberg to Sauber with Kobayashi; Sutil or Alguersuari join Di Resta at Force India; Bottas in Williams with Mal, Chilton joins Glock at Marussia; Pic likely to join Kovalainen at Caterham; De la Rosa and maybe Senna at HRT

Sutil back to Force India, that is unlikely to say the least :lol:
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eurobrun wrote:

And why on earth would Senna want to go back to HRT? :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
cbbcisace

Post by cbbcisace »

Wizzie wrote:
eurobrun wrote:

And why on earth would Senna want to go back to HRT? :lol:

Lets say Senna is in with a shout ;)
HRT - who else would you support :P
TheBigJ

Post by TheBigJ »

Andrew Benson hinting on twitter that Kobayashi has lost his Sauber seat.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Rumour from Eddie Jordan that next year it'll be Hulkenberg and Gutirrez next season for Sauber
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
S951

Post by S951 »

what seats are unconfirmed that kamui may have chance
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

S951 wrote:what seats are unconfirmed that kamui may have chance

Williams most likely

Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Kobayashi seems to be more or less fine, as he can probably come back to Toyota, doing WEC and Le Mans for them. Toyota wants to use two cars for next year's WEC season, as well as doing a three-car assault at Le Mans.
MIA SAN MIA!
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Ferrarist wrote:Kobayashi seems to be more or less fine, as he can probably come back to Toyota, doing WEC and Le Mans for them. Toyota wants to use two cars for next year's WEC season, as well as doing a three-car assault at Le Mans.

That is very true, in fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Schumacher had a crack at le mans next season

Minardi Man

Post by Minardi Man »

If this is true, I've lost a good deal of the respect I had for Sauber.
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

Minardi Man wrote:If this is true, I've lost a good deal of the respect I had for Sauber.

Can't say I agree. I started liking Kobayashi a bit recently but he's too slow. Perez, on the other hand...good riddance. I really like Hulk, and I don't know much about Guti, so it's all good for me.

McLaren, on the other hand, are going even deeper into the F1 dumpster.
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

BBC have 'confirmed' Hulkenberg at Sauber.

Gutierrez "tipped" for the other Sauber, Findia keen to retake Sutil [although I still question whether his assault conviction could keep him out of some places - Ma Qing Hua allegedly couldn't get a visa for Japan], Buemi, Alguersuari & Pic in running for Caterham's seats, where Petrov is on his way out and Kovalainen is wanted by the team but hasn't decided whether or not to stay.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

GwilymJJames wrote:...and Kovalainen is wanted by the team but hasn't decided whether or not to stay.

I for one don't blame him for being so hesitant as it's clear that the team needs him far more than he needs them. If I were him, I'd take my chances with trying to secure a seat as somewhere like, say, Williams.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Minardi Man wrote:If this is true, I've lost a good deal of the respect I had for Sauber.

The thing about Kobayashi is he hasn't shown any improvement. This will be his 3rd full season in F1, and he's failed to impress as much as he did in 2010. His career reminds me of Takuma Sato. So much promise, but it was allowed to fizzle out into anonymity
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

pasta_maldonado wrote:

The thing about Kobayashi is he hasn't shown any improvement. This will be his 3rd full season in F1, and he's failed to impress as much as he did in 2010. His career reminds me of Takuma Sato. So much promise, but it was allowed to fizzle out into anonymity

Me too I think his career is similar to Sato's. I hope that Kamui will stay in F1 next year.
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
Minardi Man

Post by Minardi Man »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:

Me too I think his career is similar to Sato's. I hope that Kamui will stay in F1 next year.

I'm thinking more in relation to his potential replacements, Gutierez has been extremely underwhelming in GP2 IMO, and Hulkenberg, while looking like the stronger of the two FI drivers this year, has still done nothing but move sideways so far in F1, I see him being another journeyman.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I hope we haven't seen the last of Kamui as I'm a big fan and I'd love to see him at Williams, but I agree he has not done enough and hasn't shown enough improvement in his career. He's a good driver but not a great one and I can't see him breaking away from the midfield teams. I'm very pleased Sauber have got Hulkenberg and it's a good move for him given that Force India seem to be a sinking ship.

I guess they need Guiterrez for the Telmex money but I really hope Alguersuari gets the second seat.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

The Alguersaurus has been offered a drive at Caterham but is holding out for a better drive somewhere else, probably at Force India, maybe Sauber.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

I really don't see Kobayashi going to Williams. They've been wanting to get Bottas in the 2nd seat for a while, and Maldonado isn't going anywhere with the money he has. Unfortunately, I don't think he will stay at Sauber either. The incident in Korea was downright stupid and Perez has shown him up at most races. Plus, there's the fact that he does not bring sponsors. Yes, the podium in Japan will help but he needs to get them quickly. Really the only possibility for him going to any other team would be one of the bottom three teams, and we know how that played out with both Kovalainen and Petrov. Don't get me wrong; Kobayashi going to Williams would be great as it means he can stay with a midfield team, but I don't just see it happening.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

LellaLombardi wrote: Force India seem to be a sinking ship.

funny how no one has mentioned this to my knowlage yet :lol:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... llya.html#
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Out of curiosity, but does anyone know exactly how much sponsorship Maldonado and Senna bring into the team?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
S951

Post by S951 »

Jezza I think the reverend brings in around $/£30/35million can't remember pounds or dollars and I think with Senna it was again around 13/15million again can't remember if it was done in pounds or dollars.

With Kamui the only places I can think of with seats free are Williams / FI & the 3 newer teams can't really see him at williams or fi neither can I at the 3 at the bottom, can discount str as they are only in house only. Yes he hasn't been consistent this season, mistakes have happened but I rate him higher than some in the lower half the grid plus some of those bandied to be coming back
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

S951 wrote:... neither can I at the three at the bottom, can discount STR as they are only in house only.

Well, I wouldn't. After all they hired Sebastien Bourdais who wasn't really part of the Red Bull program and came close to replacing him in 2009 with Takuma Sato.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

roblomas52 wrote:

There have been two threads on it...

GwilymJJames wrote:BBC have 'confirmed' Hulkenberg at Sauber.

Gutierrez "tipped" for the other Sauber, Findia keen to retake Sutil [although I still question whether his assault conviction could keep him out of some places - Ma Qing Hua allegedly couldn't get a visa for Japan], Buemi, Alguersuari & Pic in running for Caterham's seats, where Petrov is on his way out and Kovalainen is wanted by the team but hasn't decided whether or not to stay.

If anyone hires Buemi over Alguersuari, they've got the wrong guy.

Many drivers are going to be rather disappointed...oh, if only there were more teams.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

There have been two threads on it...
my bad did not really see the threads but i don't think he'll be in india so he can stay away from the authorities for a bit longer ;)
GwilymJJames wrote:BBC have 'confirmed' Hulkenberg at Sauber.

If anyone hires Buemi over Alguersuari, they've got the wrong guy.

Many drivers are going to be rather disappointed...oh, if only there were more teams.

bring back andrea moda :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Grosjean has apparently been confirmed at Lotus for 2013. Make of it what you will.

Also Massa will sign for Ferrari, according to Autosport. Unsurprising really, though in the later races Massa has shown his talent, and his podium at Japan has probably kept his seat. Not sure he's part of Ferrari's long term plan, though.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

I would like to see Massa at Force India or Sauber next year, instead of Ferrari. I really can understand the team order today, as Alonso is fighting for the championship, but for next year I would like Massa to have a team where he isn't the number two from begin on.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I think pic deserves the second seat at sauber because he has shown real potential this season for instence at Monaco he was lapping 0.5 seconds slower than the leaders in the marussia of all cars :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

pi314159 wrote:I would like to see Massa at Force India or Sauber next year, instead of Ferrari. I really can understand the team order today, as Alonso is fighting for the championship, but for next year I would like Massa to have a team where he isn't the number two from begin on.

Massa hasn't been the number two from the beginning of seasons, look at Melbourne 2010 or China 2011 for examples.
-Abraham Lincoln
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I don't give a bathplug who drives the other sauber next year so long as they do a good job so my 2nd cousin gets some half decent bonuses ( designs something possibly tub but I'm not sure )
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Well, this is what I ultimately see happening:
Red Bull:
- Sebastian Vettel
- Mark Webber

McLaren:
- Jenson Button
- Sergio Perez

Ferrari:
- Fernando Alonso
- Felipe Massa

Lotus-Renault:
- Kimi Raikkonen (there's no indication of him leaving F1 again)
- Romain Grosjean (inevitable really)

Mercedes:
- Lewis Hamilton
- Nico Rosberg

Force India:
- Jules Bianchi
- Paul di Resta
Possibilities: Alguersuari, Buemi, Sutil, Kobayashi, Pic
There are several choices for Hulkenberg's seat. There's Sutil, Alguersuari, Buemi, and Kobayashi, as well as Bianchi. Sutil, Alguersuari, and Buemi have not been in F1 for a year, and Kobayashi does not have sponsors. Bianchi has been with the team as the test driver, and has done occasional Friday drives, plus is part of Ferrari's young driver program. That said I don't know what sponsors he does bring. Charles Pic is also a faint possibility, but that'd be surprising to say the least if he were signed.

Sauber:
- Esteban Gutierrez
- Nico Hulkenberg
Possibilities: Kobayashi, Pic
It's almost a given that Gutierrez will fulfill the 2nd seat, and with Hulkenberg coming in, this should not be any big surprise. I'd be surprised if it's anyone else but Gutierrez but there's always a possibility.

Williams:
- Pastor Maldonado
- Valtteri Bottas
Possibilities: Kobayshi, Senna
Williams have been prepping Bottas for a while now, so it should be no surprise that he gets the 2nd seat. I don't see Senna coming back. Kobayashi is a possibility but I don't see it happening.

Scuderia Toro Rosso:
- Jean-Eric Vergne
- Daniel Ricciardo
Yeah, they're boring to watch but STR's management is happy with them. I guess this means that they will not be able to challenge Vettel in the long run (which Buemi and Alguersuari had their shots).

Caterham:
- Charles Pic
- Vitaly Petrov
Possibilities: Kobayashi, Kovalainen, Senna
I don't see Kovalainen staying; he's been too anonymous this year though the car is a crapbox, no question. That said I don't see Pic going any higher though he might go higher with his sponsors. Bruno Senna's another possibility.

Marussia:
- Timo Glock
- Max Chilton
Possibilities: Pic, Kobayashi
Probably the most possible lineup if Pic does not stay. Kobayashi would also make sense, and while the team is improving, going to Marussia (or any of the three teams) spells the death of an F1 career.

HRT:
- Pedro De La Rosa
- Dani Clos
Possibilities: Karthikeyan, Kobayashi
It's obvious HRT wants to have a Spanish lineup. However, Karthikeyan brings plenty, which the team desperately needs. As for Kobayashi, yeah, going here will kill his career, but it's an open seat and someone with good experience is what the team needs.