Your Reject of the Race - Korea

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
noiceinmydrink

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Korea

Post by noiceinmydrink »

3rd: Andrew Benson - His tweets angered me enough that I unfollowed the jackass. Get him off the BBC. I want him gone as soon as.

2nd: Kamui Kobayashi - Today's first lap nutcase award goes to this fella. Talk about two birds with one stone, eh?

ROTR: The Marshalls - Well done, It only took you guys 8 laps to move a car parked in an area designed to let you move it. :roll:
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

Mexicola wrote:3rd: Andrew Benson - His tweets angered me enough that I unfollowed the jackass. Get him off the BBC. I want him gone as soon as.

Uh, what? All of his race tweets are true. Even the ridiculous one about Kobayashi. He lacks the pace and the sponsorship required to stay with the team. If it's not a 100% thing as AB says then it's a 99% thing.
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Pamphlet wrote:
Mexicola wrote:3rd: Andrew Benson - His tweets angered me enough that I unfollowed the jackass. Get him off the BBC. I want him gone as soon as.

Uh, what? All of his race tweets are true. Even the ridiculous one about Kobayashi. He lacks the pace and the sponsorship required to stay with the team. If it's not a 100% thing as AB says then it's a 99% thing.

Kobayashi has the pace, he's just pushing himself too hard to try and retain the drive. Hence what happened today. But yeah, I see nothing really that wrong with Benson's tweets.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Runner up: McLaren - what the bathplug was that? Hardly any pace, Jenson was unlucky to be banzai'd by Kamui-san, but Hamilton was struggling for grip all day long.

WINNER: The Marshals - again, what the bathplug was that mess? Someone could have PUSHED that car backwards! Also, why did no one run out and get that debris of the track?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Korea International Circuit-WHY IN BATHPLUGGING HWNSNSBM'S BATHPLUGGING NAME ARE WE RACING HERE?
McMerc-Button out after lap 1,Hammy plays in astroturf,not their day.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

WaffleCat wrote:Korea International Circuit-WHY IN BATHPLUGGING HWNSNSBM'S BATHPLUGGING NAME ARE WE RACING HERE?

Actually, the track's quite good in my opinion. It has a long straight, a fast section, and then a tight section, and only a few corners have run offs.It's much better than Bahrain, Abby dabby, or any other run-off drome.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
WaffleCat wrote:Korea International Circuit-WHY IN BATHPLUGGING HWNSNSBM'S BATHPLUGGING NAME ARE WE RACING HERE?

Actually, the track's quite good in my opinion. It has a long straight, a fast section, and then a tight section, and only a few corners have run offs.It's much better than Bahrain, Abby dabby, or any other run-off drome.

I agree. It's a bit like Istanbul - anywhere other than where it is and it'd be a brilliant track.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

1. Kobayashi
2. McLaren

Honorable mention to the artificial grass (I don't know if it's the right English word to say it), it's the first time I remember to have seen it tear away and cling on cars.
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:Honorable mention to the artificial grass (I don't know if it's the right English word to say it).

No that's OK. Your English seems to have improved since you registered here
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

eurobrun wrote:
Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:Honorable mention to the artificial grass (I don't know if it's the right English word to say it).

That's correct. Another english term we have for it is "astroturf" but artificial grass is good too :) I agree with eurobrun here that your English has improved, which is great because I always hear English is one of the hardest languages to learn :)
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
eurobrun wrote:

That's correct. Another english term we have for it is "astroturf" but artificial grass is good too :) I agree with eurobrun here that your English has improved, which is great because I always hear English is one of the hardest languages to learn :)

I know, her English is better than at least half of my Facebook friends
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

ROTR: Unwelcome guests

The Korean girl interrupting Vettel's interview and asking him for his hat.

Astroturf on Hamilton's car.

Gangnam-steria running rampant.

More avoidable first lap crashes.

Another lifeless Tilke-drome.

Bad marshals.

Ferrari's late season development slump.

Brackley's continued incompetence.

Bruno Senna's continued lack of speed.

Caterham's lack of improvement.

A boring race and predictable Redbull cakewalk after turn 1.
The USA is three meals away from chaos.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

My nominations:

1.- The Yeongam Circuit - Boring track, unfinished works, incompetent marshalls, and, to top it all, the astroturf at one of the corners gets shredded and one of the shreds gets hanged into Hamilton's car. Also, what the heck was Psy's guy waving the checkered flag? It looked as if it was a robot doing that, waving it slowly with a stupid smug on his face.
2.- McLaren - I can't possibly understand what happened with them at this race. Button was knocked out in Q2 and retired after being hit by Kobayashi on the first lap, and Hamilton suffers with tyre and handling troubles all race long, resulting in him being humiliated by both STRs.
3.- Kamui Kobayashi - What the hell Kamui? That podium in Japan was one of the most beautiful things we've seen this year, but taking out both Button and Rosberg on the first lap was not how you should have backed it up. Not that Sauber was any competitive today, but that was adding injury to insult.
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

Kamui Kobayashi - "What an idiot" / Hero to Zero / "Yes, McLaren did choose the right Sauber driver" etc.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Pamphlet wrote:

Kobayashi has the pace, he's just pushing himself too hard to try and retain the drive. Hence what happened today. But yeah, I see nothing really that wrong with Benson's tweets.

The thing that annoys me is how Benson writes in a matter of fact manner without a sure source to prove his statements. Take this article for example. Until Sauber have said "Kobayashi's gone" or "Hulkenburg's part of our line-up for next year", he's talking crap.

Pamphlet wrote:He lacks the pace and the sponsorship required to stay with the team.

Where did you get this from? I don't recall Sauber saying such a thing.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Mexicola wrote:
Pamphlet wrote:He lacks the pace and the sponsorship required to stay with the team.

Where did you get this from? I don't recall Sauber saying such a thing.

It's been mentioned before that Kobayashi needs to find sponsorship. He currently doesn't bring any.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Eddie Jordan for thinking that Charles Pic will go to Caterham next year.
Trump 2016
Minardi Man

Post by Minardi Man »

Korea
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Definitely has to go to the AstroTurf for what has to be the strangest event I've seen.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

Well, a good plethora of rejects here, but the main ones can only be...

1.- Mercedes-powered teams: Granted, Nico-Nico and JB were clobbered by Kamikaze Cowboy, but Schumi was just dundling around the track, Hamilton had a McLaren that was falling into pieces (and gaining astro-turf, mind you) and Di Resta was annonymous. The Hulk was the only Mercedes-powered man today.
2.- Astro-turf: How difficult is to install artificial grass? In Korea, too much.

The damn team orders award goes to Ferrari for the "Felipe, you're too close to Fernando. Back off". Al least we can say that Fernando, Felipe is faster than you till the end of the season.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Kobayashi, from hero in Japan to zero in Korea
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Bronze: McLaren, frankly if Hamilton had missed Q2 yesterday I doubt it would have made much difference!

Silver: The circuit - what about 10 laps yellows in the DRS zone becuase a car off the side of the track? That stupid astroturf was almost as bad as the drain covers in China 2005.

Gold: Kamui Kobayashi - way NOT to stay in F1 next year. :(
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Two choices from me:

Gangnam Style - For ensuring that Sky did something SO cringeworthy it almost rivals ITV's last race. Rather overplayed as well.
The Circuit - For having the greyest, bleakest atmosphere possible, crap marshalling and also for sub-par astroturf. Oh, and for having less scenery than the inside of a cardboard box.

I almost regret taking the time to watch the race, it was so dull and insipid.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Two stick out in my mind:

The first would be Kobayashi. That is the first time in a long while (if at all) that I saw that kind of incident. It looked so amateurish; I don't know how to put it. This hurts even more because this was on the back of his podium finish at Japan. Podium aside, I think he needs to stop driving hard and drive smart; that is if he wants to keep his ride.

The second would be the Korean Grand Prix in general. The track itself is good, but there are so many things wrong with it. Why is there astro turf coming up from the ground? Why did they let PSY come in and perform Gagnam Style? Why are the marshalls so damn incompetent; seriously, EIGHT LAPS to remove a car that was mostly off the circuit to begin with? And this is a GP that I WANT to like, but it just seems so bad. At least with Abu Dhabi and Bahrain the tracks are actually built well (though we can't forget about that drain cover coming up in China a few years ago) despite their blandness. And as far as PSY goes, that's like having LMFAO come in at the US Grand Prix performing Party Rock Anthem. I'd say this is the third worst circuit ever to grace a F1 calender, the other two being Caesar's Palace and Dallas in 1984.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Newey's goggles. :geek:
Last edited by Jocke1 on 27 Nov 2012, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
-*:-
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

This is probably the most hotly-contested ROTR since...Valencia I think. :P

Korean Grand Prix - Dafuq was that? Marshalls so incompetent that they don't move Rosberg's stricken Merc for almost 10 laps, which ruined the race as by the time it was eventually moved, the field was strung out. Then the astroturf farce (I was half laughing, half facepalming at the end), computer-generated advertising and using this PSY guy. Just how did this circuit make it into F1? Image

McLaren - What could go wrong, did go wrong. :lol:

Mercedes - Say goodbye to your F1 career Lewis, you're heading into this hellhole next year...

Kamui Kobayashi - Dear HWNSNBM, what the hell was that? Wipes out Button and Rosberg at the start, and trundles around for a while. I think he's just cost himself his Sauber seat with this performance. :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

In a race where nobody stood up and said "I am the Reject of the Race" other than Kamui, he is probably going to win the award. However, I have to agree that the Korean GP is a farce; as Wil Buxton wrote on Reddit the other day, the place has absolutely no atmospehere. Where were the crowds? What were the marshals doing? Quite frankly, the only question is: Why are we here? In an age where we are losing circuits at an alarming rate, why is Yeognam here? Apparently, Bernie doesn't even want this race anymore so why are we here?
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

East Londoner wrote:Korean Grand Prix - [...] computer-generated advertising

As I said on the last page, they were there in Suzuka too, and aren't really related to the Korean GP anyway, more to FOM.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
coloni_subaru

Post by coloni_subaru »

Lots of options today, but here goes:

3rd Mercedes for being about as slow as they possibly can be
2nd Williams for being even slower than Mercedes
1st Kamui for probably cementing his departure from Sauber (and where is left for him to go?)
"Better to have raced and lost than never to have raced at all"
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Obviously the Marshals and the Astroturf, and also Sky for allowing Mark "My English is actually worse than Kobayashi's" Blundell back on the television.

But in terms of the actual race, obviously 1) Kobayashi and I would say, after a toss-up between the 2 very slow teams, 2) Mercedes (just beating Williams)
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Pamphlet wrote:Korea - Appalling. Why are we racing here again? Even the drivers hate it. Horrible track, horrible astroturf, horrible marshals, horrible everything. Oh, and PSY is terrible.

This.

I agree.

pasta_maldonado wrote:I agree with eurobrun here that your English has improved, which is great because I always hear English is one of the hardest languages to learn :)

I hear the same about Finnish. Which is quite accurate, considering that about 50% of our populace cannot write it properly...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I give my ROTR to Korea Grand Prix itself. Eight laps to marshalls to remove rosberg's car is pretty ridiculous. Also, the carpet incident with Hamilton was laughable.

Special mention to Kobayashi, Williams, Mercedes and Mclaren.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

For the reasons everyone's already said:
3. Korean GP astroturf
2. Korean GP marshalling
1. Kobayashi
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Ferrarist wrote:
pi314159 wrote:I forgot that computer generated LG advertising on the start-finish line. I really don't want to see something like this again.

For real? Like an artificially added ad banner? Wow, they did the same trick already at the very first WTCC race in 2005. :lol:

They were doing it during the 2001 Indianapolis 500 on the racing surface, but that was only to display who the leader of the race was. It was the epitome of pointless.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:I almost regret taking the time to watch the race, it was so dull and insipid.

Do a paper round like me then and miss half the race
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Enoch loves the opportunity to give an inanimate object ROTR, so I'm pretty sure it'll be astroturf. Although, maybe inanimate isn't an entirely accurate description - it did appear to have a mind of its own...
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Warren Hughes wrote:Enoch loves the opportunity to give an inanimate object ROTR, so I'm pretty sure it'll be astroturf. Although, maybe inanimate isn't an entirely accurate description - it did appear to have a mind of its own...

I guess it just wanted to break free from the bounds of the Yeongam circuit.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaebol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Motor_Company
The USA is three meals away from chaos.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

It's the Korean GP for me. Kobayashi came home in second.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Hi everyone,

Official decision time!

I just didn't have the heart to give it to Kamui. Besides, now that the season has regularised and normalised and seems so far removed from the randomness of the first part of the year (I mean, after 7 different winners in 7 races you'd have sworn that the 2003 tally of 8 winners over the season would be beaten - now that looks most unlikely), what really caught my eye from the Korean GP was the series of downright bizarre things which was so far removed from the slick professional show which F1 is meant to be these days.

I mean, the marshals being unable to move Rosberg's car for 8 laps despite it being in a siding designed for easy removal - and yellow flags being out all that time, in the main DRS zone, depriving the race of key overtaking opportunities before the field spread out? Then there was the astroturf - far less serious than the drain cover problem at Shanghai in 2005, but more hilarious than Pedro Diniz dragging around some real grass with him in Canada in 1998, because at least the astroturf is man-made and man-laid and you'd think they'd bed it down properly. Then there was Psy's hopeless chequered flag waving ... putting him up there with Pele in the "one must never ask a celebrity to do this important job" stakes. And if that was not enough, there was Adrian Newey's ridiculous goggles on the podium. And just to top it off, the badgering podium girl who kept asking for Vettel's hat and only left reluctantly when Seb had said "no" for about the fourth time!

It was as if the silliness and randomness of Gangnam Style had invaded the entire event. So ROTR for the Korean GP goes to "F1 Gangnam Style" ... and before anyone complains, yes I know Yeongam is nowhere near Gangnam in Seoul, but hey I'm allowed a little poetic licence, aren't I?

And for the record-keepers, this should be a 0.2 awarded to each of:

* Korean GP marshals
* astroturf
* Psy
* Adrian Newey's goggles, and
* the badgering Korean podium girl

Cheers,
Enoch