The 2012 Korean GP Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ubik

Re: The 2012 Korean GP Discussion Thread

Post by Ubik »

Pamphlet wrote:What on earth are you on about?

The hideous culture of hugging. It's fake, it's affected and it's a product of the cameras being there - if the cameras weren't there grown men wouldn't be hugging everyone in sight.

Are you telling me that it's now wrong for a team to be happy that their man is at the front?

Err....no, that's not what I'm saying.

How do people do this? You say one thing and they walk off with the weirdest interpretation imaginable.

Dave) "I like trees."

Bob) "Oh really, so you're saying we should put people in jail for owning coffee tables, eh??!!"

Dave) "......?"
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Ubik wrote:

The hideous culture of hugging. It's fake, it's affected and it's a product of the cameras being there - if the cameras weren't there grown men wouldn't be hugging everyone in sight.

James Hunt wrote:And all I can say to that is bullshite
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

Ubik wrote:The hideous culture of hugging. It's fake, it's affected and it's a product of the cameras being there - if the cameras weren't there grown men wouldn't be hugging everyone in sight.

You seem like a horrible person to be around.
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Ubik wrote:

I actually agree to be honest, I just didn't care enough to say anything

Pamphlet wrote:
Ubik wrote:The hideous culture of hugging. It's fake, it's affected and it's a product of the cameras being there - if the cameras weren't there grown men wouldn't be hugging everyone in sight.

Seems a bit hypocritical coming from you considering some of the things you have said
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eurobrun wrote:
Pamphlet wrote:

Seems a bit hypocritical coming from you considering some of the things you have said

Sheesh, that seems a bit on the harsh side in both cases, doesn't it?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Wizzie wrote:
eurobrun wrote:
Pamphlet wrote:

Sheesh, that seems a bit on the harsh side in both cases, doesn't it?

I lost all respect for him when he made that comment about James Hunt. Regardless of what you think about a person that crap is uncalled for.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Ubik

Post by Ubik »

Pamphlet wrote:

You need a hug!
Ubik

Post by Ubik »

pasta_maldonado wrote:

So, do you believe that if the cameras were not there the F1 teams would continue hugging everyone in sight, slapping each other on the back, giving each other 'bro' handshakes?

If you do I have a bridge to sell you.

I've been watching F1 for nearly 22 years and I can safely say the huggies are a relatively new, and unwelcome, phenomenon.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Ubik wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:

So, do you believe that if the cameras were not there the F1 teams would continue hugging everyone in sight, slapping each other on the back, giving each other 'bro' handshakes?

If you do I have a bridge to sell you.

I've been watching F1 for nearly 22 years and I can safely say the huggies are a relatively new, and unwelcome, phenomenon.

I don't think it's the prescence of the cameras, it's the change in social attitudes in the last 10 years.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Guys, guys, guys. Stop your blabbering immediately before it gets out of hand, no pun intended. This is the 2012 Korean GP Discussion/Lambasting Thread (again, no pun intended), not the 2012 F1 Rejects Users' Social Habits Discussion Thread.
IceG

Post by IceG »

In post-race scrutineering, does Hamilton's car get weighed with or without the astroturf?
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Image then!

I think this race was a little too processional this year... but at least it had some decent moments like Hülkenberg's double pass on Hamilton and Grosjean.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

After reading all the reject nominations with "Korea" in general as the ROTR... don't get me wrong, but that's plain stupid. I mean, the track layout is fine. The main problem in Korea just lies with the place the circuit has been built. I mean, it's exactly in the middle of nowhere. Now, if you check all other F1 venues:

Albert Park -- In the middle of a great city hosting major international events as Melbourne is
Sepang -- Close to the growing metropolis Kuala Lumpur is
China -- Near Shanghai, enough said
Bahrain -- Ok, it's in the bathplug middle of a desert, but is close enough to Qatar, Riyadh and Kuwait.
Montmeló -- Near Barcelona
Monaco -- No need to say anything here
Montreal -- Great city
Valencia -- 1 million pop., cheap flights to Europe, close enough to drive from most of the Spanish Mediterranean coast where many people spend their holidays, Madrid or Barcelona.
Silverstone -- Close enough to big cities like Birmingham and London, plus British Motorsport hooligans will travel anywhere in the Uk.
Hockenheim -- Close enough to a bunch of important cities
Hungaroring -- Near Budapest
Spa -- Ok, a bit far in the middle of a forest but not a long drive from some important cities.
Monza -- Close enough to Milano
Singapore -- Vibrant city.
Suzuka -- If Japanese people could make it to TI Circuit or Fuji, this is no problem at all.
Jaypee -- In the outskirts of New Delhi
Abu Dhabi -- Money, money, money, and Dubai is close as well.
Austin -- Big city and airport hub.
Interlagos -- In the overpopulated metropolis that is Sao Paulo.

So I guess it's a problem of where the track is located rather than anything else. Now, I think if the track had been placed close to Seoul or Busan-Daegu, we would be living a completely different Korean GP. So we got promised we would be watching the landscape change year by year at Yeongam as they developed that area and it's clear the picture has changed because the place is bare and empty, and it's so far from any decently sized Korean city and in a country with no motorsport culture that this GP is destined to failure sooner or later. Just my 2 cents on the issue.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

My problem with the circuit is that apart from the long straight, you can never tell one part of the circuit from another, it just all looks the same. Even the secondary pits between turns 3 and 4 I mistook for the main pits a few times!

Not helped by the poor organisation of having yellows for 8 laps on the main straight and the astroturf coming apart of course!

Other factors which made it the worst race of the year for me were the teams seem to now be finding a natural order, Webber and Massa being too handicapped by having to play the team game, McLaren and Kimi seemingly falling out of title contention, and Grosjean who usually makes this interesting having to be really cautious on this occasion.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

In terms of location, Yeognam is the equivalent of Magny-Cours in Korea.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there