Renault withdraws from F1?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Chewie

Renault withdraws from F1?

Post by Chewie »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 343221.stm

I just really hope they still supply engines, just to give some variety!

What must Kubica be thinkng?
How ironic; Alonso loses because the Renault in front of him doesn't crash, or indeed feel inclined to pull over and let him pass!!!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Renault withdraws from F1?

Post by shinji »

What a day! The sport is practically falling down around us!

Everybody run to the hills and never come back!
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Enrique Bernoldi

Post by Enrique Bernoldi »

I feel so gutted for Robert right now. :( He's a quality driver and if indeed Renault do decide to pull out, I really hope he manages to find a seat somewhere else (Possibly McLaren? Even though they're pretty keen on Raikonnen).

But here's to hoping that Renault manage to stay for 2010.
Supporting the guys at the back since 1999. :)
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

shinji wrote:What a day! The sport is practically falling down around us!

I'm already living on a kind of a hill, so I can't run to one!

Back to topic, it seems that the manufacturers have finally noticed that results don't come from money alone. Also, I'm a bit delighted if I am to see more privateer teams in the sport, like it was back in '98 when I started to follow this sport (Tyrrell, Arrows, Minardi, Stewart, Sauber, Jordan, Prost, even Williams and Benetton to some extent... practically almost the whole field were privateer teams apart from Ferrari and McLaren!). The sport just feels... different with teams whose names aren't familiar from the next parking lot! Although the sad thing is that nowadays F1 teams are, more often than not, controlled by suitmen who care more for the money than the sport itself.

But who would replace Renault? Qadbak has probably confirmed its seat with Toyota's departure already. Prodrive, Epsilon Euskadi?
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Nuppiz wrote:
shinji wrote:What a day! The sport is practically falling down around us!

I'm already living on a kind of a hill, so I can't run to one!

Back to topic, it seems that the manufacturers have finally noticed that results don't come from money alone. Also, I'm a bit delighted if I am to see more privateer teams in the sport, like it was back in '98 when I started to follow this sport (Tyrrell, Arrows, Minardi, Stewart, Sauber, Jordan, Prost, even Williams and Benetton to some extent... practically almost the whole field were privateer teams apart from Ferrari and McLaren!). The sport just feels... different with teams whose names aren't familiar from the next parking lot! Although the sad thing is that nowadays F1 teams are, more often than not, controlled by suitmen who care more for the money than the sport itself.

But who would replace Renault? Qadbak has probably confirmed its seat with Toyota's departure already. Prodrive, Epsilon Euskadi?

Zoran Stefanovich, your time has come.

I really need to stop referencing him. I just love him, I'm sorry.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Chewie

Post by Chewie »

Nuppiz wrote:
shinji wrote:

Is it 13 or 14 teams?

I make it

1. Brawn
2. Red Bull
3. McLaren
4. Ferrari
5. Williams
6. Torro Rosso
7. Force India
8. Manor Virgin
9. Lotus
10. Qadbak Sauber
11. USF1
12. Campos
13. ?

14. ??

We might just have the same number of cars as this year!

My preference would obviously be ProDrive Aston Martin for the final spot.
How ironic; Alonso loses because the Renault in front of him doesn't crash, or indeed feel inclined to pull over and let him pass!!!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Chewie wrote:We might just have the same number of cars as this year!

The way things are going, that may be optimistic. Sorry, it's all falling apart, as shinji says. It looks like Max was right, but nobody was listening. :cry:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

F1 is slowly collapsing within itself. No tyres, 3 manufacturers (possibly) gone, whats going next? At this rate all the Formula Rejects teams are going to have to come along and replace all of the 14 teams that eventually pulled out by December...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Chewie

Post by Chewie »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Chewie wrote:We might just have the same number of cars as this year!

The way things are going, that may be optimistic. Sorry, it's all falling apart, as shinji says. It looks like Max was right, but nobody was listening. :cry:

that's the problem when you have zero credibility; your one great idea falls on deaf ears! Your sig is so prophetic!
rffp

Post by rffp »

I have just read in a Brazilian newspaper quoting L'Équipe that Renault is staying in F-1.
But then Toyota denied about 5 times in 2009 that they were withdrawing...
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Yeah, but notice how Toyota withdrew the day after an 'emergency board meeting' too, even though Carlos Ghosn (?) said after Singapore 2009 that Renault would stay. Its out of Renault F1's hands, just like the decision to disband Toyota Motorsport GmbH was made by the president of the entire company, not just the motorsport division...

Image Image
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

kostas22 wrote:Yeah, but notice how Toyota withdrew the day after an 'emergency board meeting' too, even though Carlos Ghosn (?) said after Singapore 2009 that Renault would stay. Its out of Renault F1's hands, just like the decision to disband Toyota Motorsport GmbH was made by the president of the entire company, not just the motorsport division...

It's not just the one guy wanting to pull out... if there's, as the news says, a meeting but the F1 team won't be able to defend itself, that means someone else will be doing the talking. Who that may be is anyone's guess - but I'm willing to bet 90% of shareholders prefer bigger dividends at the end of the year than another crashgate.

Renault F1 is Briatore land, there's no Renault man inside. That is not attractive for shareholders.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Read as: "Ghosn tells Bell 'You're bathplugged!' "
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Well, perhaps the situation won't be as serious...These are just cycles...just like the competitiveness of big teams..3 or 4 years and there will be a healthy proportion of manufacturers again.
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

Privateers!! This is the dawn of your new era, hihi.. :lol:
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
Thunderer

Post by Thunderer »

Here's a thought, if Renault were to also withdraw as an engine supplier, could we see the return of Mechachrome? :lol:

Although the same engine, no chance of seeing Supertecs back as that company is owned by Briatore.
I don't know what Deletraz is doing either...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Robert Kubica's manager is in talks with McLaren. An ominous sign perhaps?

Image Image
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

kostas22 wrote:Robert Kubica's manager is in talks with McLaren. An ominous sign perhaps?

Yesterday evening I'd have laughed at you saying that. Now, I get this chill...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

I would've thought that a Brawn style buy out would be possible for Renault. Step forward Mr Briatore...
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

How about another comeback by Alain Prost. He did it as a driver, so why not as a team owner? :P

Image Image
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

IF Renault Leave...The FIA will be seeing a Windfall of Cash..as Yota AND Renault have both signed the Concorde Agreement.......and Based on the Press Release they Issued concerning Bridgestone and Toyota in which the part concerning Toyota basically said, "SEE, We told you we needed to Cut Costs but you all said NO, now look, we've lost 2 teams this year, because of Money Issues!!"

So, I forsee Toyota getting the shite Sued out of them for breach of Contract......and if Renault follow suit, they will as well......
Rentragmuab Tlosz!!!!!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

kostas22 wrote:He did it as a driver, so why not as a team owner? :P

Great idea!

Why didn't he think of that before?
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
cjrodwell

Post by cjrodwell »

At least Renault have had some success this year as a engine supplier unlike Toyota, from their corporate point of view why spend millions on a team that let’s face it just isn't going to win when you can still take the glory and kudos of wins as a successful engine supplier for a fraction of the cost. Although Red Bull did bitch about them rather frequently but they still did the business for them.

It also must have been rather embarrassing for their own team to be whooped so convincingly by Red Bull this year despite them having one of the best drivers on the grid in Alonso, besides who on earth is going to think "ooooh Renault F1 came 8th in the 2009 season that makes me want to buy Clio so I can bask in the glory of that stunning 8th place(out of 10) by association" which is surely what the head honchos of Renault are after.
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

rffp wrote:But then Toyota denied about 5 times in 2009 that they were withdrawing...

John Howett repeatedly denied toyota were withdrawing, unfortunately overlooking the fact that he had zero influnece over whether they would or not.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Thunderer wrote:Here's a thought, if Renault were to also withdraw as an engine supplier, could we see the return of Mechachrome? :lol:

Or Playlife! :lol: with its half-flipped logo :lol:
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80031

They've delayed the decision, which leaves the whole team in the lurch if they pull out. Not sure what to make of this, but this isn't positive news for sure.
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Debaser wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80031

They've delayed the decision, which leaves the whole team in the lurch if they pull out. Not sure what to make of this, but this isn't positive news for sure.

I think they are probably trying to sell the team in the background and continue as an engine supplier.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Debaser wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80031

Two ideas:

a) they're definitely pulling out as a manufacturer. If they were to say, they'd have said so. The issue here might be timing - the Leaf is presented today or tomorrow, Renault is putting a lot of weight into it, and doesn't want unsavoury questions in the presentation.

b) they're not pulling out, but have decided to hold everyone hostage. Renault, a partly state-owned French company, wants to see how pliable the new, French-led FIA is. They'll try to push technical rules that could make them more competitive and in-line with the electric car policy they are pursuing for road cars (such as more KERS power and abolishing of double-D diffusers), or muddle about the money distributions from TV rights and so on. This is pretty much an invitation for all readers to stand up.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Will they be working on a chassis for next year until the decision is made?
Thunderer

Post by Thunderer »

Phoenix wrote:
Thunderer wrote:Here's a thought, if Renault were to also withdraw as an engine supplier, could we see the return of Mechachrome? :lol:

Now that would be amusing, however the only way you'll see Playlife return is if Benetton buy their team back. ;)
I don't know what Deletraz is doing either...
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Thunderer wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

Now that would be amusing, however the only way you'll see Playlife return is if Benetton buy their team back. ;)

I tihink it'd be better to rely in someone buying the team and calling it Toleman than in seeing Benetton buying the team back :(