RIP Manor Racing (2010-2017)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Pointrox

Re: The Marussia Thread

Post by Pointrox »

I tried to hold myself back from posting in this thread until Marussia release a statement about Maria's health.
It's so sad to see that her active career in motorsport is virtually over :(
Still, could be worse. Much worse.
Let's hope she will get well soon.
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

Bloody hell! :o It would appear the visor must have taken the brunt of the impact then! This is terrible news :(

Whilst no one knows the exact details of what has happened yet, I will agree to a point with some of the other comments regarding the truck - I don't think there was a problem with it being there, but with the unloading tray down and at the perfect height to go into someone's helmet, you have to wonder why that was allowed to happen.

However, until a full report is given out - I'm keeping my mouth shut.

All I can say is I hope this accident was a technical glitch and not pure driver error i.e. hitting throttle instead of brake otherwise this will just fuel the sexist troll's (Bernie Ecclestone included) reasons as to why Women shouldn't be in F1.

This is going to put a huge dampner on the mood for the British Gp and especially for Marussia - but all we can do is hope and pray that Maria makes a full recovery from her other injuries now :(

*** I wouldn't go slating the team as an amertarish bunch who should be banned, the simple fact that they are in F1 is because they proved to the FIA that they have the facilities, resources and professionalism to be in... Could the accident have been avoided? Probably, but as I said - thats what the full report will state and so I won't go off on one until we see what they have to say.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

JJMonty wrote:Whilst no one knows the exact details of what has happened yet, I will agree to a point with some of the other comments regarding the truck - I don't think there was a problem with it being there, but with the unloading tray down and at the perfect height to go into someone's helmet, you have to wonder why that was allowed to happen.

And the truck wasn't even Marussia's responsibility to boot :|
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Wizzie wrote:
JJMonty wrote:Whilst no one knows the exact details of what has happened yet, I will agree to a point with some of the other comments regarding the truck - I don't think there was a problem with it being there, but with the unloading tray down and at the perfect height to go into someone's helmet, you have to wonder why that was allowed to happen.

Yeah it is. It was Marussia's private test session, so it's up them to ensure everything is safe, regardless of whether the object in question is theirs or not.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

kostas22 wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

Yeah it is. It was Marussia's private test session, so it's up them to ensure everything is safe, regardless of whether the object in question is theirs or not.

Agreed, the truck might not have been theirs but the team have to take responsibility of that truck - after all, they were the ones who held the event, it's the hosts responsibility to make sure everything is safe.
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

A terrible accident, I wish her a successful recovery. The question that's boggling my mind is why is Marussia testing while there's a mid-season test ban?
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

lostpin wrote:A terrible accident, I wish her a successful recovery. The question that's boggling my mind is why is Marussia testing while there's a mid-season test ban?

Straight-line testing is allowed.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
IceG

Post by IceG »

What brakes are fitted for straight-line tests? It would be hard to get the carbon discs up to temperature so do they use cast iron discs for these exercises? I am just wondering if this was brake failure caused by them not being at the necessary operating temperature, something a novice driver might not expect.......
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

I wouldn't be so harsh on Marussia about the truck placement, from the footage I have seen the truck was very much out the way, if an F1 driver crashes in the pitlane do you guys blame the pitlane for being in the way? Crew were walking towards the car to look at it then it suddenly speared off at low speed. Freak accident.
Message me on Discord.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Maria was terribly unlucky. I wish her the best of recoveries. :(
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Shadaza wrote:I wouldn't be so harsh on Marussia about the truck placement, from the footage I have seen the truck was very much out the way, if an F1 driver crashes in the pitlane do you guys blame the pitlane for being in the way? Crew were walking towards the car to look at it then it suddenly speared off at low speed. Freak accident.

As some of you young whipper snappers sometimes say "This".

Im down with it.
Just For One Day...
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Another statement from Marussia: http://www.marussiaf1team.com/news/624/. As good news as can be expected really.

I loved all the drivers wearing the "mariastars" on their helmets today. I am off to try and find one to use as my avatar.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

LellaLombardi wrote:Another statement from Marussia: http://www.marussiaf1team.com/news/624/. As good news as can be expected really.

I loved all the drivers wearing the "mariastars" on their helmets today. I am off to try and find one to use as my avatar.

I am happy that she didn't end up suffering the same fate as Helmut Konigg.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
S951

Post by S951 »

John Booth today told during the race to spanish media that Maria is conscious and talking to her family :D this is great news
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

S951 wrote:John Booth today told during the race to spanish media that Maria is conscious and talking to her family :D this is great news

Really good news. I'm happy to read it.
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RealRacingRoots wrote:With the state of her injuries, Maria should really have quite the few chats with Lord Paul Drayson, who was born without vision in one of his eyes and yet still did ALMS and Le Mans Racing. She could learn how to cope and changes to her lifestyle with the issues, but it will be different she now has lost vision in one of her eyes.

I hope for the best for her, we all do.

This crosed my mind, and I hope hat something may come of it, but it clearl will not be for some time yet But at least there is a precedent that not everything is totally over for her just yet. People like Lord Paul Drayson and Alex Zanardi are the truly inspirational people of the world (plus the doctors and the other healthcare professionals that help to look after them).

AndreaModa wrote:In reaction to it all Marussia have cancelled their factory tour tomorrow. I have to say I'm obviously disappointed, but there's nothing anyone can do really.

But hey, let's not get all worked up over this, the fact is she has survived, and whilst she's suffered horrific injuries, she can live to tell the tale. I think she's been very lucky indeed considering the circumstances.

I'm sorry that your visit was cancelled. As you said, it's disappointing, but understandable under the circumstances. Just a shame it was cancelled rather than postponed... And, after all that has happened, I agree that she has been as fortunate as Robert Kubica and Felipe Massa to survive horrendous incidents.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:In reaction to it all Marussia have cancelled their factory tour tomorrow. I have to say I'm obviously disappointed, but there's nothing anyone can do really.

But hey, let's not get all worked up over this, the fact is she has survived, and whilst she's suffered horrific injuries, she can live to tell the tale. I think she's been very lucky indeed considering the circumstances.

I'm sorry that your visit was cancelled. As you said, it's disappointing, but understandable under the circumstances. Just a shame it was cancelled rather than postponed... And, after all that has happened, I agree that she has been as fortunate as Robert Kubica and Felipe Massa to survive horrendous incidents.

Yeah I have to say I was absolutely gutted when I got the email telling me - it was after all the first real competition I'd ever won and because of them being the local team, I was really stoked to be getting the chance to get a look round, and also meet Glock, Pic and de Villota. I'm hopeful that Marussia will in some way re-organise the event at a later date - I do after all still have the tickets they sent out in the post!

But yeah, back to more important things, and it's good to see Maria improving with each day. It clearly shook the team up big time, and it was great to see them get both cars to the finish at Silverstone and have a fairly strong race too. It's probably too early to tell but it seems the upgrade they brought has had a positive impact on the car performance, but with Maria's accident, and the wet free practice and qualifying meant very little calibration work and confirmation of its potential was carried out prior to the race. Hopefully they can reach a bit more of a conclusion at the next race.

Also, with Maria most likely side-lined at the very least for the rest of the season, I wonder if Marussia will sign someone to replace her?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

AndreaModa wrote:
Also, with Maria most likely side-lined at the very least for the rest of the season, I wonder if Marussia will sign someone to replace her?

Robert Wickens? Sakon Yamamoto? Rio Haryanto? Max Chilton?
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RealRacingRoots wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:

Pippa Mann has experience of powerful single-seaters and is currently unemployed...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

dr-baker wrote:
RealRacingRoots wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:

Pippa Mann has experience of powerful single-seaters and is currently unemployed...

Vicky Piria is a young up and coming driver with some financial backing...

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

kostas22 wrote:Vicky Piria is a young up and coming driver with some financial backing...

Vicky Piria and I were born on the same day. Not sure if I've ever mentioned this... :lol:

I'd imagine it would probably be someone like Yamamoto...though they might just start bringing D'Ambrosio's seat to races and beg Eric Boullier should the need arise.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Vicky Piria and I were born on the same day. Not sure if I've ever mentioned this... :lol:

Domenico Schiattarella and I were born on the same day. Not sure if I've ever mentioned this either...
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Phoenix wrote:
BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Vicky Piria and I were born on the same day. Not sure if I've ever mentioned this... :lol:

Domenico Schiattarella and I were born on the same day. Not sure if I've ever mentioned this either...

Same year as well?

If not, then I should say I was born one day after Michael Schumacher's birthday and three days after HWNSNBM's...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

Same year as well?

If not, then I should say I was born one day after Michael Schumacher's birthday and three days after HWNSNBM's...

No. He was born in 1967 and I was born in 1992.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Phoenix wrote:

10/7/2012; the day we learned that Phoenix is actually 44.

Edit: Aw, shucks.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

shinji wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

You and I are friends on Facebook, so you should know that's not the case :lol:
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

shinji wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

7/10/2012: The day that was mistaken for October 7, 2012 and caused lots of confusion in the Western Hemisphere :?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Phoenix wrote:
shinji wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

You and I are friends on Facebook, so you should know that's not the case :lol:

You could have aged inhumanly well.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

kostas22 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
RealRacingRoots wrote:

Vicky Piria is a young up and coming driver with some financial backing...

There's also one Gary Paffert who may turn out to be a shite racer but (presumably) knows the McLaren car inside out, which could prove valuable for Marussia.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Wizzie wrote:There's also one Gary Paffert who may turn out to be a shite racer but (presumably) knows the McLaren car inside out, which could prove valuable for Marussia.

From years of testing for McLaren and winning in DTM to being a reserve with Marussia, maybe having one race if he turns out very lucky. And we thought Allan McNish got a bad deal out of his career. :lol:
RonDenisDeletraz

kostas22 wrote:Robert Wickens? Sakon Yamamoto? Rio Haryanto? Max Chilton?

Adrian Quaife-Hobbs, that is all.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

eurobrun wrote:

I only recognise 2 other drivers in Auto GP, Pål Varhaug and Chris van der Drift. I don't think that's a good sign to show the strength in terms of drivers in AutoGP. Otherwise, yes, he would be another good option beside the four I said.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

kostas22 wrote:Vicky Piria is a young up and coming driver with some financial backing...

Sergey Sirotkin and Robert Visiou are young and promising Eastern European drivers.

That said, joining Marussia might be a bad move - Robert Wickens was supported by them last year, but he only got minimal backing. His contract with Marussia was one of the major reasons why he couldn't get a seat elsewhere this year.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Marussia have announced their drivers for the Young Drivers Test: Max Chilton and Rio Haryanto.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

RealRacingRoots wrote:
eurobrun wrote:

I only recognise 2 other drivers in Auto GP, Pål Varhaug and Chris van der Drift. I don't think that's a good sign to show the strength in terms of drivers in AutoGP. Otherwise, yes, he would be another good option beside the four I said.

I would love to see what Adrian could do in an F1 car - he's dicked all over the AutoGP field this season, just walked in at the last minute and took a dump on the opposition! Against a stronger field perhaps he wouldn't be so great but I'd still like to see what he could do. I think he deserves a chance.

I suspect we may see one of Chilton or Haryanto in the reserve seat, maybe the one who does better in the young driver test.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AndreaModa wrote:I suspect we may see one of Chilton or Haryanto in the reserve seat, maybe the one who does better in the young driver test.

I would have to say Chilton to get the reserve seat, he's got a wad of cash thanks to his daddy's Aon money.

Image Image
RonDenisDeletraz

dr-baker wrote:Marussia have announced their drivers for the Young Drivers Test: Max Chilton and Rio Haryanto.

Wasn't Haryanto a former A1GP driver. Or am I thinking of someone else.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eurobrun wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Marussia have announced their drivers for the Young Drivers Test: Max Chilton and Rio Haryanto.

Wasn't Haryanto a former A1GP driver. Or am I thinking of someone else.

No, he hasn't. That might be Satrio Hermanto you're thinking about
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Another update on Maria: http://www.marussiaf1team.com/news/633/ ... e-on-maria

Mark my words, we haven't seen the last of her in motorsport just yet.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
RonDenisDeletraz

LellaLombardi wrote:Mark my words, we haven't seen the last of her in motorsport just yet.

I hope so, I can imagine her competing in touring cars some time in the future.