What If?

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
AdrianSutil

Re: What If?

Post by AdrianSutil »

WaffleCat wrote:Must be crazy....but what if circuits were held on a reverse layout?Dunno what I'm on about?Take Suzuka,for instance.Instead of the original right hander as the first turn,the Casio Triangle will become the first turn(that's gonna be a disaster)

It might also take away a few challenges,such as Degner Curve,maybe,but can create new ones.Like screaming downhill at Beau Rivage desperately trying to find the brake heading into Sainte Devote.Or cars approaching Estoril at full chat at Magny-Cours.

Mad first two corners at new Silverstone would be interesting. Also Melbourne. Backwards Interlagos would be quite exciting to watch as they made their way off the grid.

Eau Rouge backwards?! Epic.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Donington backwards would be pretty cool...
Trump 2016
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

What if Firestone Firehawk 600 did happen? (CART, you know ;))
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
eichy

Post by eichy »

FMecha wrote:What if Firestone Firehawk 600 did happen? (CART, you know ;))

Death.
American
JORDAN GRAND PRIX FOREVER
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

eichy wrote:

Death.

Explain please? :?
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

FMecha wrote:
eichy wrote:

Death.

The Firestone Firehawk 600 was cancelled because of safety concerns, mostly about the high g-forces. The drivers were getting tunnel vision and stuff.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

What if Philippe Alliot had been given the McLaren drive full time in 1994 ahead of Martin Brundle like Peugeot wanted?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
FMecha wrote:
eichy wrote:Death.

The Firestone Firehawk 600 was cancelled because of safety concerns, mostly about the high g-forces. The drivers were getting tunnel vision and stuff.

Big Mo had an enormous practiceshunt because of it didn't he?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Wizzie wrote:Big Mo had an enormous practiceshunt because of it didn't he?

Yeah. He crashed at something like turn 3 (of 4) and the wreckage finally stopped on the front straight.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

AdrianSutil wrote:
Wizzie wrote:Big Mo had an enormous practiceshunt because of it didn't he?

Yeah. He crashed at something like turn 3 (of 4) and the wreckage finally stopped on the front straight.

edit: He lost it in turn 1, slid along the wall, hit the outside of turn 2 and ended up in turn 3 :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx1pWU1M ... ata_player
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Bleu

Post by Bleu »

redbulljack14 wrote:What if Philippe Alliot had been given the McLaren drive full time in 1994 ahead of Martin Brundle like Peugeot wanted?

Few points, mainly in Monaco, Hungary and Australia. No podiums and he quits F1 at the end of the season for good.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

What If Jean Alesi competed in the Indy 500 using either a Honda or Chevy engined car?
Trump 2016
UncreativeUsername37

What if Romain Grosjean declined to drive for Renault in 2009?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:What if Romain Grosjean declined to drive for Renault in 2009?

eurobrun probably wouldn't hate him. Also, Renault would literally run one car, which they might as well have done the entire season anyway.
mario

Post by mario »

redbulljack14 wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:What if Romain Grosjean declined to drive for Renault in 2009?

eurobrun probably wouldn't hate him. Also, Renault would literally run one car, which they might as well have done the entire season anyway.

In those circumstances, I would assume that the next driver to be offered a seat would be di Grassi, given that he was the designated test driver for Renault in 2009. Mind you, turning down such a move might have risked damaging his relationship with Boullier - don't forget that Boullier was managing Grosjean at the time through Gravity Sport Management (and still does), and at the same time managing Renault Sport's young driver program, so he would have been under pressure from the team and his manager to continue his expected line of development towards an F1 seat.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

EDIT
Last edited by RonDenisDeletraz on 25 Jun 2012, 23:45, edited 2 times in total.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I would dislike him less, but his crappy F1 attempt in 2009 is not the main reason why I will never like him. You can think Kostas22 for that. :lol:
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

What if Michael Schumacher, in 1997, refused to do road safety talks, as demanded by FIA? Would his 1994-1995 titles be given away to Damon Hill? Would his super-licence be revoked? (See this) :twisted:

What if Arrows, in 2002, instead of telling to their drivers to deliberately DNQ, managed to fake food poisonings to their drivers? (See this) :geek: :idea:
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I never really understood the logic of Schumi doing road safety talks. That's a bit like asking Elton John to give talks about frugality.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

LellaLombardi wrote:I never really understood the logic of Schumi doing road safety talks. That's a bit like asking Elton John to give talks about frugality.

Actually, it makes sense, having a F1 driver talk road safety. If they can drive an F1 car at 300km/h, then surely they can also drive a sedan at 40km/h safely...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

FMecha wrote:What if Michael Schumacher, in 1997, refused to do road safety talks, as demanded by FIA? Would his 1994-1995 titles be given away to Damon Hill? Would his super-licence be revoked? (See this) :twisted:

What if Arrows, in 2002, instead of telling to their drivers to deliberately DNQ, managed to fake food poisonings to their drivers? (See this) :geek: :idea:

On the Arrows, Im not sure. I guess it is possible, perhaps the whole team could have been ill as well. I dont know what will happen. But in hindsight, they go to Germany, and are bust by Hungary.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

Just taking the line made by the main site, what if Fernando Alonso raced for Jaguar in 2002?
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

FantometteBR wrote:Just taking the line made by the main site, what if Fernando Alonso raced for Jaguar in 2002?

He may have been able to do slightly better than Irvine and DLR but considering how shite the R3 was, it'd take a miracle o score too many points
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Wizzie wrote:
FantometteBR wrote:Just taking the line made by the main site, what if Fernando Alonso raced for Jaguar in 2002?

He may have been able to do slightly better than Irvine and DLR but considering how shite the R3 was, it'd take a miracle o score too many points

We probably wouldn't see Alonso at Ferrari right now...
Trulli bad puns...
eichy

Post by eichy »

Very slight possibility Alonso would be at Red Bull. Doubtful, but possible. 8-)
American
JORDAN GRAND PRIX FOREVER
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

What if Nicola Larini didn't leave Sauber mid-1997?
Trump 2016
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

darkapprentice77 wrote:What if Nicola Larini didn't leave Sauber mid-1997?

He leaves Sauber after 1997 and nothing else happens.
Trulli bad puns...
UncreativeUsername37

What if tobacco advertising was never banned?
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:What if tobacco advertising was never banned?
The cars would look better.
Trump 2016
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

darkapprentice77 wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:What if tobacco advertising was never banned?
The cars would look better.

But then there would be no 'Buzzin Hornets' or whatever. :?

Also, does anyone want to answer this properly?

FMecha wrote:What if Michael Schumacher, in 1997, refused to do road safety talks, as demanded by FIA? Would his 1994-1995 titles be given away to Damon Hill? Would his super-licence be revoked? (See this) :twisted:
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

What if Williams made jet fighters in the 90s?

http://ws-clave.deviantart.com/art/Fant ... -298693136
Just For One Day...
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

There would be a lot of controversy, because Williams sells its jet fighters to several Arabian nations in the middle east. But nobody in F1 cares.
MIA SAN MIA!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

What if the 1998 Belgian Grand Prix was never red-flagged and the mess was instead cleaned up under a (very long) safety car?
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

Wizzie wrote:What if the 1998 Belgian Grand Prix was never red-flagged and the mess was instead cleaned up under a (very long) safety car?

It would be Imola 1994 all over again, as some debris happen to come to Eau Rouge, and someone hits them after the restart.

What if Ellen Lohr got a chance in Formula One?
MIA SAN MIA!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Wizzie wrote:What if the 1998 Belgian Grand Prix was never red-flagged and the mess was instead cleaned up under a (very long) safety car?

A race remembered as one of the most boring and processional of all time, I imagine. Tuero might have been unrejectified however.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
mario

Post by mario »

shinji wrote:

A race remembered as one of the most boring and processional of all time, I imagine. Tuero might have been unrejectified however.

I'm not sure that it would be feasible to clear the track under a safety car because there was so much debris spread across the track - even the safety car could have been badly damaged if it had to drive through the wreckage. Added to that, with the very poor visibility and waterlogged conditions that day, it would have been too much of a risk to send marshals out there to clear the track with the cars running - if somebody started aquaplaning in those conditions, it would be all too easy for a marshal to be seriously injured in those conditions.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Virtual Question now:

What if the 2012 F1RWRS season was made into a film?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Virtual Question now:

We'd never hear the end of Lon's complaints, and I might die of despair seeing both my team and Dagnall throw away both championships having been leading them into the final round!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

AndreaModa wrote:

We'd never hear the end of Lon's complaints, and I might die of despair seeing both my team and Dagnall throw away both championships having been leading them into the final round!

Most of Lon's complaints were about JC too. Didn't too his reputation a world of good. :lol:
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

AndreaModa wrote:

Kay Lon wrote:It would be the greatest conspiracy tale this side of Frost/Nixon. Maybe I should invest some money into revealing the story about how I was cheated out of my world title.

Most of Lon's complaints were about JC too.

Kay Lon wrote:Rightfully so, your old pathetic self hogs media time which should belong to people the fans actually care about - and "caring" is NOT a mixture of nostalgia and pity.

:lol: :lol: :lol: