Karun Chandhok @ Coventry University

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
AndreaModa

Karun Chandhok @ Coventry University

Post by AndreaModa »

Coventry University has a little thing going on called 'Coventry Conversations' where prominent, well known people are periodically booked for talks which anyone can attend. Previous well known people who've done this include John Snow, and of interest here, Murray Walker.

I missed the Murray Walker one, but I went to the talk today with Karun Chandhok. He's a lovely bloke, really down to earth, and very knowledgeable in many aspects, not just F1. He had some interesting things to say, particularly on the use of KERS and DRS in F1, and he closed by saying he's confident that he'll have a role in F1 for the 2012 season which will be announced in the next couple of weeks. He had quite a few good words for Bernie too.

Normally the University posts them as podcasts on this page but it'll probably be a few days before it's uploaded to listen to.

He also hung around for a good while afterwards to have photos taken and sign autographs, me and my mate Tom helped ourselves in both respects, so we now have a signed photo each of Karun in the HRT at Melbourne, 2010, and cheesy photos with him too! (even though I was wearing my MVR shirt!) :lol:

Don't know who the guy ruining my photo in the back is! :?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Londoner

Re: Karun Chandhok @ Coventry University

Post by Londoner »

Looks a bit like Sebastian Buemi, wanting a bit of attention :?

Anyway, congratulations on meeting a Reject!
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Valrys

Post by Valrys »

Darn! I attend Coventry Uni and had no idea this was on. That'll teach me to not pay attention to things.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Don't know who the guy ruining my photo in the back is

But his eyes do say "Soon!"
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

He has a bit of the Mark Chapman about him.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I though he looked a little like Pastor Maldonado.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

I see actor Jake Gyllenhall :shock:

Glad you saw Chandhok though. Always comes across as a polite and funny bloke when talking to the BBC
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

East Londoner wrote:Anyway, congratulations on meeting a Reject!

Also, congratulations on being taller than the Reject! :lol:
Just For One Day...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

CoopsII wrote:

With all due respect, being taller than a racing driver is really not an art. :mrgreen:
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Klon wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

With all due respect, being taller than a racing driver is really not an art. :mrgreen:

No he's not the tallest of blokes, but then I'm pretty tall anyway, I must be pushing around 6'-2" I think. :P

But yeah, chances are that'll be the first and last F1 driver I meet!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Klon wrote:With all due respect, being taller than a racing driver is really not an art. :mrgreen:

Yeah, but if you met one and you were then when you walked away you'd feel a little bit smug about that if nothing else ;)
Just For One Day...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

CoopsII wrote:
Klon wrote:With all due respect, being taller than a racing driver is really not an art. :mrgreen:

Yeah, but if you met one and you were then when you walked away you'd feel a little bit smug about that if nothing else ;)

Unless said racing driver is Alexander Wurz or Justin Wilson :lol:

EDIT: Interesting fact - I'm exactly 1cm taller than one M. Schumacher :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wizzie wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

You will just have to avoid them.

Unfortunately the scorching heat of the Mediterranean plains made Portuguese rather small (at least for the European average) and that would not work for me. It could be said that for me to leave such encounter feeling a little bit smug would be a tall order... :lol:
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Wizzie wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Yeah, but if you met one and you were then when you walked away you'd feel a little bit smug about that if nothing else ;)

At least for me that wouldn't be a problem either since I am around 15 cm taller than Alexander Wurz. Well, that sure sucks - not even the remote chance of a racing career for me. :?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:It could be said that for me to leave such encounter feeling a little bit smug would be a tall order... :lol:

:lol:
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Klon wrote:At least for me that wouldn't be a problem either since I am around 15 cm taller than Alexander Wurz. Well, that sure sucks - not even the remote chance of a single seater racing career for me. :?

Fixed; Matt Neal is 6'7" and though that completely ruled him out of single seaters, he's been there or there abouts in the British Touring Car Championship since 1993, with a few titles on the way.

There'll still be plenty of racing seats available if you fancy coming this side of the North Sea for a crack at racing with proper bashing and barging all the time...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"