Race reviews announcement

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Race reviews announcement

Post by eytl »

Dear race review readers,

After almost 12 seasons and 201 written race reviews, I have decided that the 2011 Japanese GP race review will be the last race review that I will write for the time being.

Doubtless some of you will be disappointed by that. I have greatly appreciated the compliments I have received for the race reviews over the years, and I have been regularly astounded (and encouraged) that many of you are keen to hear my thoughts on each race despite the fact that I'm only seeing what all of you are seeing (i.e. a television coverage), and I have no "inside knowledge" that gives me any groundbreaking insight.

Unfortunately, being on the wrong side of 30 and juggling a demanding legal career as well as numerous interests outside of work has meant that it has become increasingly difficult to find the 4+ hours after each race to write and upload a race review. Not to mention my ever-increasing family commitments - my wife is currently expecting twins and, all going well, as of January I will have four children under the age of four. Try to get your head around that - I still can't!

I find that I simply can't match the efficiency and productivity of the many bloggers - including several prominent journalists - who write insightful pieces on F1 almost instantaneously after each race. Whilst obviously mainstream writers don't give the same equal treatment to what is happening in midfield and the back of the grid as we try to do, since we started the F1 Rejects forum it seems as though I can provide my comments there without having to duplicate in a subsequent article.

Also, I hate to admit it, but as this season has gone on it has become increasingly difficult to find meaningful things to write about. The professionalism of the sport has meant that even the teams at the back are a far cry from the true amateur heroes of yesteryear. The tribulations HRT faced in getting to the first race in 2010 and 2011 don't even hold a candle to Andrea Moda or even the interest generated by 2006-spec Super Aguri using a four-year-old chassis! There has been so little intrigue on or off the track, 2011 is sadly turning out to be the most drawn-out season in a long time.

As a result, I intend to save up my comments for an end-of-season review (which I will still write), and in the future, in terms of current race coverage, apart from the forum there may be the occasional topical article, and we will still try to produce the occasional podcast as time allows - and maybe do another live call at some stage.

But for the time being, I think I would also prefer to spend what research/writing time I can give to the site returning to doing driver and team profiles and other Centrale articles - all of which have become neglected in the last few years - and celebrating the reject spirit which is what made us start the site in the first place. It's time to get back to those Maki and Danny Ongais profiles stuck in the pipeline!

Finally, given that Jean Alesi is one of my favourite F1 drivers of all time, and he made 201 Grand Prix starts, the fact that I stop on 201 race reviews seems somehow appropriate!

All that remains is for me to say thank you very, very much to all who have read and enjoyed the race reviews over the years.

Cheers,
Enoch
AndreaModa

Re: Race reviews announcement

Post by AndreaModa »

That's a very sad piece of news Enoch, but I completely understand. In fact, I'm amazed you've been able to keep it all up until now!

I'll certainly miss your take on the races, your analysis is far superior to anything I could hope to muster, but nonetheless we must all prioritise things in life. I too agree this season has become very drawn out, and even now with points down to 10th place, there is still a uselessly diluted points fight between any of the drivers, and not enough of the smaller teams are getting a slice of the pie. I don't wish for more teams, new drivers, or hilarious reject exploits any more, I'm simply wishing for a bit of unreliability these days, and I guess that says a lot about modern F1.

I think that making the decision to switch from the race reviews to returning to articles and profiles for the site is a very good one. It's those that brought me to F1Rejects in the first place, hell I was checking back every other week to see of anything new had been posted! With the addition of the forum, I'm now on here almost every day without fail. What you and Jamie have created is simply amazing, I and I'm sure everyone else on here, can't thank you enough for the effort you've put in to the website over the years.

I look forward to reading some new driver and team profiles in the future! :)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Take a bow Eytl, you've done a fantastic job. I would literally spend hours Reading the various profiles on the main page, and like AndreaModa, I'm on here every day without fail.

And good luck with the twins!!
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Very saddening. :cry: Anyone want to step in and help Enoch with the reviews? (ie resuming it)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Thanks for all the reviews for the last 11 years - I am disappointed but completely respectful of your decision, I know it's something I could never have done! (And I agree that the Indian race was more or less a microcosm of the whole season - Vettel in charge, Button and Alonso valiantly giving chase, Webber going backwards, Hamilton and Massa colliding AGAIN, Mercedes feeding off the top 3 teams' scraps, etc)

What I'm hoping is that somehow the forum can keep the "Reject of the Race" feature going though and keep the leaderboard going - that was the main reason I always looked forward to these reviews rather than Autosport's or whoever! :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

James1978 wrote:Thanks for all the reviews for the last 11 years - I am disappointed but completely respectful of your decision, I know it's something I could never have done! (And I agree that the Indian race was more or less a microcosm of the whole season - Vettel in charge, Button and Alonso valiantly giving chase, Webber going backwards, Hamilton and Massa colliding AGAIN, Mercedes feeding off the top 3 teams' scraps, etc)

What I'm hoping is that somehow the forum can keep the "Reject of the Race" feature going though and keep the leaderboard going - that was the main reason I always looked forward to these reviews rather than Autosport's or whoever! :)

I wonder if Enoch could perhaps announce a Reject of The Race at least for each race, once it's been debated on the board. It's always been nice to get the 'official' result after all our bickering. :)
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

fjackdaw wrote:I wonder if Enoch could perhaps announce a Reject of The Race at least for each race, once it's been debated on the board. It's always been nice to get the 'official' result after all our bickering. :)

That is something we definitely can keep doing...!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

First of all, congratulations, Enoch, on your wife's pregnancy. I hope that everything goes well indeed! I guess that you are well on your way of having your own pit-crew at home! ;)

While a bit sad about this race reviews announcement, I can understand and I fully support your decision and, at the same time, wish best of luck to your job.

I agree with the Reject of the Race idea and I will throw another one into the gauntlet. How about relegate race reviews duties on someone of the forum who wishes to contribute (I will discard myself immediately from such duty)? I know F1Rejects is your baby, but as any daughter/son who reaches adulthood, one day you have to let the taking care part of being a parent for respective wives/husbands. I still find that the new teams, while being professional and nothing to do with the golden reject age of the early nineties, gives us enough shenanigans to talk about. The prospect of Maria de Villota joining HRT is a mouth watering one (even though it might represent a new setback for other women wanting to drive in F1). Just give it a though. :)
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Thanks for all your work, all the 201 great readings. And if we're at the numbers: Jean Alesi also has four children. :)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

QuickYoda41 wrote:Thanks for all your work, all the 201 great readings. And if we're at the numbers: Jean Alesi also has four children. :)
And it would also be (roughly) 10 years after Alesi's retirement, which was also at the Japanese Grand Prix...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Kuwashima wrote:
fjackdaw wrote:I wonder if Enoch could perhaps announce a Reject of The Race at least for each race, once it's been debated on the board. It's always been nice to get the 'official' result after all our bickering. :)

That is something we definitely can keep doing...!

Sorry, and Jamie too. That's great news! :)

And congrats, Enoch, on the babbies.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

A sad day and decision indeed, but I can understand why. Congrats Enoch for 201 of the best! :)
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

It's a shame to hear this, but I respect your decision, you gave us some spectacular race reviews.

At least the end of year reviews will still be here. I'm thankful for that, and the coveted Reject of the Year. Although we all know who's getting it this year.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

An understandable decision. Providing for four children easily takes precedence!

Would the Reject of the Race include a few sentences to explain why that selection was made? Instead of a full-blown race review, just a Reject of the Race award for each race?
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Although I was saddened with your announcement, you are quite right to do so. Close family well and truly come first. And unlike other bloggers in the sport you do this as part of your leisure time, not as your job - and 4 hours is not as easy to find as some may think. More so when there is sometimes only a week between races!

I also agree fully with your opinion about this year.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Curse you all with your beautiful stats - I'm supposed to be saddened by this, but I can't, since it fits so beautiful.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

If it means more driver and team biographies while retaining ROTR, the sad loss of the race reviews is made more bearable. ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Guzuky

Post by Guzuky »

As a 10+ year reader, it's a sad day and congrats for the work done and for keeping your website and your writting completely independent. I seldom write on the forum but one thing I never missed was your reviews.

At least keep the 'reject of the race' award as it would be a small but appreciated consolation.

Thanks for the memories, Enoch
The only Formula 1 fan in Puerto Rico (reader since 2001)
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Thanks for all the excellent reviews over the years, Enoch! I've always enjoyed reading them, and even looking back at them as a historical resource. It's sad, but all good things must come to an end, and the reasons are completely understandable.

As for announcing Rejects of the Race in the future, maybe still use the images on the front page for that? Don't do it too soon, as we need a few days to build suspense and discussion in the forums! :lol:
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Thank you again very much eytl for your expertly written race reviews over all those years. You are a great motorsport journalist.

If I were not also retiring from following motorsport myself which I explained in one of my previous postings on this board, your retirement would be a big loss for me, and I'm sure, for some it will be. But as we're both moving away from this sport to enjoy our life, that is totally not the case.

Here's wishing you a lot of continued joy and happiness in your life. Enjoy!
It's been a pleasure of listening to you and Jamie and to read your writings.

All the best
Yannick
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Yannick wrote:If I were not also retiring from following motorsport myself which I explained in one of my previous postings on this board, your retirement would be a big loss for me, and I'm sure, for some it will be. But as we're both moving away from this sport to enjoy our life, that is totally not the case.

Thanks Yannick for your kind words - but I'm not moving away from the sport or from this site just yet!

Thanks everyone else for your wonderful compliments as well.
mario

Post by mario »

Enoch, it has been both a pleasure and refreshing to read your reviews given that you have strived to look beyond just the upper teams in the sport, and brought attention to the efforts of other drivers that would be glossed over in the mainstream media.

From the midfield runners who are happy just to score a point, to the newer teams happy just to beat an established team home, at least somebody recognised that those achievements, however small they may seem to the outside world, are as great to those drivers and teams as a championship is for the front running teams.
Sad though it may be that you're laying down your pen, at least you have given pleasure and joy to many others; besides, even with four kids under your roof, there are likely to be less tantrums in your household than there are in the paddock at the moment...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

(I'm a month behind but) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

thehemogoblin wrote:(I'm a month behind but) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Welcome back, with me and mario in charge your services are no longer required :lol:
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Phoenix wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:(I'm a month behind but) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Welcome back, with me and mario in charge your services are no longer required :lol:

Oh, I know. I trust you guys. I wasn't worried. I just haven't had any time in months.