Pole Positions...?

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Chilled Phill

Pole Positions...?

Post by Chilled Phill »

A curious omission from the F1 Reject status qualifications: A driver can score a pole position to escape reject-dom.

One particularly hard achievement to get is a pole position, although one could argue that not many people, if any, have qualified on pole and haven't escaped reject-dom in the eras past by...

Anyway, just wondering why should an achievement would not get a driver out of the "Reject" zone. ;)
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Re: Pole Positions...?

Post by WeirdKerr »

Although technically its not pole position, but would starting from 1st the restart at the 2007 "Geeuropeman" GP cause Markus Winklehoch to lose Reject Status....
runningboots

Post by runningboots »

If Dominico (Mimo) Schiatarella gets out of rejectdom for having fastest pitstop in his first race then I think that is okay.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I think any pole position achieved after the change of the qualifying regulations to this 'fuel that you race with' is a joke and shouldn't be counted towards statistics. It makes a mockery of the way pole positions used to be, which was the best and only time to see a car being driven to the full extent of its capabilities. I njoyed attending qualifying sessions more than the actual races. Races were always better to watch on TV, because of the coverage, so you got a better idea of what was going on.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Yes, the current pole position on race fuel is a bit farcical. But I guess there is no changing it back to the old weekend schedule of where both the Friday and Saturday afternoon sessions counted for qualifying..

But let me get back to the point of this thread:

Has it ever happened that a driver who scored a pole position didn't outscore the F1 Rejects points limit?
If we do not count the drivers that took part in the Indy 500 of the 1950s, which counted for the championship,
there is no polesitter who hasn't scored more points than necessary for the inclusion on the site.

Here is a list of the Indy 500 polesitters, whose eligibility to the site is debated in this thread, and one including the 4 drivers who scored a single pole and didn't have the chance to score more than 20 points

Name Surname Country Year Track WorldChampionshipPointsTotal

Walt Faulkner USA 1950 Indy500 1
Duke Nalon USA 1951 Indy500 0
Frederick Agabashian USA 1952 Indy500 1.5
Jerry Hoyt USA 1955 Indy500 0
Pat O'Connor USA 1957 Indy500 0
Dick Rathmann USA 1958 Indy500 2
Eddie Sachs USA 1960 Indy500 0

Mike Parkes GB 1966 Monza 14
Vittorio Brambilla I 1975 Anderstorp 15.5
Tom Pryce GB 1975 Silverstone 19 RIP
Bruno Giacomelli I 1980 Watkins-Glen 14
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."