20 years ago...

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

20 years ago...

Post by Londoner »

Incredibly, in three days time, 20 years will have passed since the 1991 Belgian Grand Prix. And we all know who Andrea De Crasheris's new team mate was for that race, making his debut in a Jordan...

(Gosh, that makes me feel old, if the 1990s were 20 years ago)
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 20 years ago...

Post by DanielPT »

20 years huh? Time does fly by...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
cretoxyrhina

Post by cretoxyrhina »

It was already 20 years...

...since Olivier Gouillard and Fondmetal finished for the first time in 1991 :geek:
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Sgt. Pepper told the band to... wait it was that long? Well you have got to credit Schumacher's longevity but he is slower than Rosberg. And that is why he must go.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Sgt. Pepper told the band to... wait it was that long? Well you have got to credit Schumacher's longevity but he is slower than Rosberg. And that is why he must go.

OK Michael, Nico is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Sgt. Pepper told the band to... wait it was that long? Well you have got to credit Schumacher's longevity but he is slower than Rosberg. And that is why he must go.

In qualifying, undoubtably, but Schumacher's race pace this year has actually been very good.

On pace alone, Schumacher could well be ahead of Rosberg on points, he's just wasted so many opportunities with mistakes.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Ed24 wrote:

In qualifying, undoubtably, but Schumacher's race pace this year has actually been very good.

On pace alone, Schumacher could well be ahead of Rosberg on points, he's just wasted so many opportunities with knocking off his nose cone on Petrov's car .

Fixed....
Peter

Post by Peter »

20 years later, another driver steps in to replace a teammate at this very track. Is Bruno Senna the next 7 time World Champion? :o
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Peter wrote:20 years later, another driver steps in to replace a teammate at this very track. Is Bruno Senna the next 7 time World Champion? :o

Nope. Not enough talent.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Klon wrote:
Peter wrote:20 years later, another driver steps in to replace a teammate at this very track. Is Bruno Senna the next 7 time World Champion? :o

Nope. Not enough talent.

I predict a riot :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Unless the teammate that was replaced goes to jail...

no.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Eric Lux could still have Heidfeld glass Sutil in exchange for his seat. ;)
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Klon wrote:

Nope. Not enough talent.

*Wrecks the office in anger*

That is yet to be proved! :evil:
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Nope, not making his F1 debut, is he?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

dr-baker wrote:

Nope, not making his F1 debut, is he?

And he actually has driven on the Spa track :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

DanielPT wrote:
Klon wrote:

Nope. Not enough talent.

Apart from the fact that he couldn't convincly beat (or beat at all in many cases) Chandhok, Klien or even Yamamoto?

Grosjean, Hulkenberg, Klien etc. deserve a chance much more than Senna.
-Abraham Lincoln
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Ed24 wrote:
DanielPT wrote:
Klon wrote:Nope. Not enough talent.

Apart from the fact that he couldn't convincly beat (or beat at all in many cases) Chandhok, Klien or even Yamamoto?

Grosjean, Hulkenberg, Klien etc. deserve a chance much more than Senna.

Let's see... He lost 2-1 to Chandhok in races that they both finished (Senna retired more) but out-qualified him 6-3. He beat Yamamoto 3-0 and out-qualified him 5-1. He got on top of Klien 2-0 albeit being out-qualified 2-1. Yamamoto did not even came close so I can't see how people say he didn't beat him. While Chandhok was a surprise, one must say Senna did not enjoy much reliability but still dominated in qualification. Klien is a more seasoned driver and has more F1 experience than Senna yet couldn't dominate him. Why people keep saying Senna lacks talent? Because he does not dominate like his uncle did? Don't forget that Senna career stopped for 10 years, being those the most important ones, arguably. If Senna is given a chance I can see him beating Petrov within a couple of races, after all, he already did so in 08' GP2 season (yes, they were in different teams, but Petrov team has a better record overall!)...
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Daniel, you know RRRRRMMMMMNNNNNN is the future!

MUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

You know what? I've got the video of that race. Of course Schumacher retires like 10 seconds into it, but it's actually a pretty decent motor race by F1 standards (which, contrary to what we usually read, were not that much higher 20 years ago than in 2010). And [SPOILER] Alesi was already unlucky back then, losing sure wins.[/SPOILER]

I'm gonna watch it again.

Edit: I absolutely love the top four at the end of the first lap, with Senna, Prost, Mansell and Piquet each one driving a different car. :D
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

The onboards of the "full race" on youtube, when the onboard cameras rattled it meant that car is going FAST, I reckon they need to spring load all the onboard cameras on this weekend's cars to shake about a bit.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Ferrim wrote:Edit: I absolutely love the top four at the end of the first lap, with Senna, Prost, Mansell and Piquet each one driving a different car. :D

Well, nowadays you have Hamilton, Button, Vettel and Alonso each one driving its car :P. Seriously, it's still 3 different cars among them despite one being built by a drinks producer.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

DanielPT wrote:Let's see... He lost 2-1 to Chandhok in races that they both finished (Senna retired more) but out-qualified him 6-3. He beat Yamamoto 3-0 and out-qualified him 5-1. He got on top of Klien 2-0 albeit being out-qualified 2-1. Yamamoto did not even came close so I can't see how people say he didn't beat him. While Chandhok was a surprise, one must say Senna did not enjoy much reliability but still dominated in qualification. Klien is a more seasoned driver and has more F1 experience than Senna yet couldn't dominate him. Why people keep saying Senna lacks talent? Because he does not dominate like his uncle did? Don't forget that Senna career stopped for 10 years, being those the most important ones, arguably. If Senna is given a chance I can see him beating Petrov within a couple of races, after all, he already did so in 08' GP2 season (yes, they were in different teams, but Petrov team has a better record overall!)...

Here is what I said about Senna vs. Yamamoto at the end of last year at a different site. Note that I never said Yamamoto beat Senna, only that Senna failed to be convincing against him. If you look at the results, Yamamoto improved every race against Senna, also.

Code: Select all

Firstly, Germany was awful. He was outqualified by 1.3s. Then, he started the race with the pit limiter on, and then retired because he activated the in-car fire extinguisher.

But after that, he wasn’t too bad, much to my surprise. He was never more than 0.35s behind Senna in qualifying, was within 0.1s twice, and outqualified Senna once.

At Monza, his fastest lap was only 7 tenths slower than Di Grassi, and just over 1 second slower than Kovalainen and Glock, despite the HRT being in Monaco-spec trim.

At Japan and Korea, two of the only three in this period where both HRT drivers made it to the end, Yamamoto had a better fastest lap than Senna – and with a gap of 1s and 0.5s respectively, to his team-mate.

As for Klien, I think the average qualifying margin of 0.577s in three races and Klien having a faster race lap on all 3 occasions is fairly damning. Sure Klien is a seasoned driver, but he hadn't raced for 5 years, and Senna had been in the car all year.

I think he's a solid driver, but I think in the world of F1, it's fair to judge someone on a full season. Many others are judged on less.
-Abraham Lincoln
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Ed24 wrote:As for Klien, I think the average qualifying margin of 0.577s in three races and Klien having a faster race lap on all 3 occasions is fairly damning. Sure Klien is a seasoned driver, but he hadn't raced for 5 years, and Senna had been in the car all year.

I think he's a solid driver, but I think in the world of F1, it's fair to judge someone on a full season. Many others are judged on less.

Fastest laps is a bit tricky to measure these days. Just an example, Alonso is 6-2 against Massa in the races and everyone knows he is the fastest right? Except that the fastest laps record only counts 6-5 to Alonso. If we ignore the rest and look only for that statistic everyone would say how balanced the Ferrari pair is when nothing could be further from the truth... The only thing I contest is the fact that people say Senna is not talented enough only because in one season he didn't crushed his team-mates. By the way, did you know that in his first season Alonso finished behind his team-mate overall because he only had one 10th against 2 ninths? And that his team-mate was Tarso Marques for most of the season (until he was replaced by Alex Yoong)?
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

OK, fair point - but I'd say fastest lap is probably a better measure for a bottom level team because, in general, I suppose they have less strategy divergence between the cars.

Also, in 2010, these fastest lap numbers are a more accurate representation I think, as there were fewer pitstops and the fastest lap wasn't just dependent on who pitted last, as contributes to the discrepancy with Massa vs. Alonso in 2011.
-Abraham Lincoln