F1 To Be Split Between BBC 1 and Sky Sports from 2012

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TomPryce

F1 To Be Split Between BBC 1 and Sky Sports from 2012

Post by TomPryce »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 550930.stm

Great. I like watching the races, and now us in the UK have no option but to go pay TV soon :(
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Collieafc

Re: F1 To Be Split Between BBC 1 and Sky Sports from 2012

Post by Collieafc »

Ah shite

That has ruined my year

Hopefully Sky will have all the pants races like Valencia. But its bad for F1 in the long term for all the various reasons we have discussed on the forum previously. No doubt money was the factor in this
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

And how is someone from outside the UK supposed to watch S. S.?

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

Sky Sports' managing director Barney Francis wrote:We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment

So it'll be cheap and nasty with a lingering undercurrent of misogyny?

WHERE DO I SIGN UP.
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

Feels sorry for the UK. But I suppose countries outside UK have their own contracts, like Russia has "Rossia-2" channel providing nearly every session. I remember Ukraine had problems with F1 coverage last year.
Anyway, is Sky Sports pay channel or something? Just for education.
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

solarcold wrote:Feels sorry for the UK. But I suppose countries outside UK have their own contracts, like Russia has "Rossia-2" channel providing nearly every session. I remember Ukraine had problems with F1 coverage last year.
Anyway, is Sky Sports pay channel or something? Just for education.

Yes & (usually) requiring a satellite dish & a bundle of other channels. (Not to mention the ads).

Bright side; still all races broadcast on "Radio 5 Live" & BBC will show highlights.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

eagleash wrote:Yes & (usually) requiring a satellite dish & a bundle of other channels. (Not to mention the ads).

Man, this is... Disappointing. Radio & highlights won't make equal feeling.

eagleash wrote:(Not to mention the ads).

BBC shows F1 without ads? do want.
Dallara, 2010
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

solarcold wrote:
eagleash wrote:Yes & (usually) requiring a satellite dish & a bundle of other channels. (Not to mention the ads).

Man, this is... Disappointing. Radio & highlights won't make equal feeling.

eagleash wrote:(Not to mention the ads).

BBC shows F1 without ads? do want.

The BBC has no advertising at all on any TV or radio channels.

The Radio coverage is excellent BTW
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

Well in this case it's better.
Anyways, I remember them frightening everyone about they will make all the F1 coverage on a pay basis, too bad we actually came to something like this
Dallara, 2010
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

RUPERT MURDOCH MUST DIE

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

It's a way off yet but, who will SKY try to tempt away from the BBC for their commentary team?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

eagleash wrote:It's a way off yet but, who will SKY try to tempt away from the BBC for their commentary team?

I bet EJ, and only EJ. Some commentator we've never heard of and Johnny Herbert in the comms box, with EJ doing some analysis on the side and a random blonde bimbo as host. And some other bloke whose sole job is to make crass sexual references about said host.

BSkyB is the scum of the earth, their coverage will accurately reflect this. I hope they go under within the next 6 months...as bad as Channel 5 may be, at least I'd not have to pay any more money to scum sucking motherbathpluggers - Desmond would at leat have the common courtesy to let me watch for free rather than pay £40 a month to fund corrupt, unethical and downright disgusting corproations who are run by pathetic, selfish, narcissistic megalomaniacs.

In short, GO HOME BSKYB :evil:

Image Image
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

I am gonna pirate via torrent every single race Skysports shows live, I am NOT buying anything that criminal owns, if everyone who follows F1 does the same thing we can hit him where it hurts most, in the pocket

*edit: - I am hoping Eurosport show it as I'll try and grab their feed like I did for Le Mans
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

sswishbone wrote:I am gonna pirate via torrent every single race Skysports shows live, I am NOT buying anything that criminal owns, if everyone who follows F1 does the same thing we can hit him where it hurts most, in the pocket

*edit: - I am hoping Eurosport show it as I'll try and grab their feed like I did for Le Mans

ISPs in the UK monitor P2P activity now. It's why I use direct download instead e.g. Megavideo. But yeah, I'll definitely go looking for a live Star Sports or SPEED stream online during the Sky races.

Image Image
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Let them monitor my activity I don't care :twisted:
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Can I just express my thoughts clearly and concisely on this matter...

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

And make sure you turn the volume to maximum for Heikki Kovalainen's view on the proceedings.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Radio 5 commentary is ALWAYS decent, so that is the way forward for me. Free and with no ads or suscription. Then there will be TV highlights on BBC afterwards... Go home Bernie. (You did the deal with the devil after all...)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

kostas22 wrote:
eagleash wrote:It's a way off yet but, who will SKY try to tempt away from the BBC for their commentary team?

I bet EJ, and only EJ. Some commentator we've never heard of and Johnny Herbert in the comms box, with EJ doing some analysis on the side and a random blonde bimbo as host. And some other bloke whose sole job is to make crass sexual references about said host.

Well Brundle has just tweeted that by the time this comes about, he is out of contract & will look at all the options. I expect that EJ, DC & the others might be in the same position.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

bathplug hell. Not happy with this at all...
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

I agree with everyone so far (esp. dinizintheoven - very good)- notice no positive comments at all. 2 months ago I just bought a nice shiny new Freesat HD PVR box. I don't have SKY and I don't want SKY.

Luckily I live within 15 miles of my parents' house, who have the full SKY package, so it looks like we'll be doing a few more family visits in the next few years ...

To sum it all, up, I have watched F1 SINCE 1980 (not sure when they started showing all races live) -AFTER 30 YEARS SKY SPORTS YOU HAVE RUINED MY SUNDAY AFTERNOONS
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Bernie has made it awkward to actually afford to watch the races at the track.
Murdoch now doing his best to have less TV viewers too.

I decided not to pay for sky sports when the whole "we're going to sack our sexist male presenters but keep the dumb blondes working on the sky sports news channel", but thats a different story, and the current happenings in the murdoch media un-pire isnt going to tempt me back to that channel so that he can sleep peacefully in hell with a larger amount of money in his account.

Expect me to be missing a few races.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

No positive comments here yet, and no positive comments yet read out on BBC R5, although some comments have indeed been read...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Their feed is jammed at the moment, surprised they've been able to read any out, I also think they are under orders to not discuss this, I know that Jake Humphrey is as shocked as we are, so expect some interesting perspective tomorrow when Qualifying pre-show is on

Dom

Post by Dom »

Right, who knows what European channels show F1? Presumably they'd still retain their contracts for broadcasting in their own countries and there must be a way to view their output from Britain - then we can just turn the sound off and listen to the radio commentary.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Not good.

For the regular fan, it means you have to have Sky, which is serious money.

Unless of course you can figure out how to get an internet feed from elsewhere in the world and use Radio 5 live for commentary.

Or get you own sattelite dish and pick up RTL or Polish telly.

We have nine months to work on the non-Sky technical solution.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

For once I'm happy that I live in Finland. MTV3 shows ALL practices, ALL qualifyings and ALL races (this includes GP2 and GP3, even Porsche Supercup!) Live, uninterrupted AND with recaps of every broadcast a few hours afterwards at best. Granted, it is on MTV3 MAX, their paychannel, but since all digital providers carry said channel and it is included in a 10-channels for 15€ a month for antenna and 10-free to choose channels for 15€ a month for cable by several different providers... that's a moot point really.

Poor Brits.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

On the other hand, if cutting back on one of my favourite things helps the BBC to protect the majority of its services, then so be it.

And yes, that includes my job. I would be saying the same if they'd fired me, if I felt it helped preserve the majority of the BBC's broadcasting. I don't love the BBC because I work for it - I work for the BBC because I love it, and have done since I was a child.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Ross Prawn wrote:Not good.

For the regular fan, it means you have to have Sky, which is serious money.

Unless of course you can figure out how to get an internet feed from elsewhere in the world and use Radio 5 live for commentary.

Or get you own sattelite dish and pick up RTL or Polish telly.

We have nine months to work on the non-Sky technical solution.

You can get the Sky Sports channels through cable providers such as Virgin Media, or even Sky Sports 1 and 2 on digital terrestrial via Top Up TV. I suspect both options are cheaper than full-blown Sky subscriptions.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I, as a Hungarian, who has been fed up with the poor, below-par Hungarian commentary feed on the race, being interrupted with ads without any forewarning, only the commentary shutting up, slashing the picture in half with the stupid ad... have been watching BBC's commentary since 2010, because the main commentator, who is our Murray Walker, sort of, has left and got replaced with a REALLY BORING driver, who just fails at commentating. (QuickYoda41 is also Hungarian, I think he will agree with me on this...)

Now how will I watch F1 in English? We only get the quali and the race! And American races' quali are ALWAYS shown hours later around midnight!

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

The full Sky Sports treatment - What does that mean?
Firework displays like they use to have at half time in the early days of their football coverage?
Misogyny amongst its pundits and presenters?
Gormless ex-drivers as pundits?
Hairy handed presenters talking about themselves in the third person?
Sacked pundits ending up on Talksport?

Screw you Murdoch. I'm not paying money to a corrupt, hypocritical, immoral, duplicitous, law breaking corporation.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Today, SKY also released details of their profits in the last year, a cool £1bn. With that money they could buy the moon and project F1 onto its surface for everyone to watch...
S951

Post by S951 »

well its the end of viewing for me nearly but there is always a way to watch it via a stream if needed
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
MaxZero

Post by MaxZero »

so... so disappointed by this, i don't even want to rant, i am incredably miffed.

The viewing figures will speak for themselves next year, a Sky team hasn't a hope in hell in matching the beebs
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Shizuka wrote:I, as a Hungarian, who has been fed up with the poor, below-par Hungarian commentary feed on the race, being interrupted with ads without any forewarning, only the commentary shutting up, slashing the picture in half with the stupid ad... have been watching BBC's commentary since 2010, because the main commentator, who is our Murray Walker, sort of, has left and got replaced with a REALLY BORING driver, who just fails at commentating. (QuickYoda41 is also Hungarian, I think he will agree with me on this...)

That's actually another thing I am extremely glad about, the Finnish commentary is top-notch. Even after Matti Kyllönen, our Murray Walker (Hell, he even Out-murrayed Murray himself at times) retired, the commentary has been absolutely top notch, the current lineup being Oskari Saari (He is a wonderful mix of knowledge and commentating ability), Mika Salo (a recent addition, to replace JJ Lehto who has been absent for about a year due to personal reasons*), Erkki Mustakari (Best known as a sidekick of Kyllönen, he is THE F1 expert in Finland) and the pit reporter Timo Pulkkinen.

They're entertaining, informative and the fact that Salo sounds like he is CONSTANTLY being sarcastic is downright Funny.

*By personal reasons I mean of course being charged for manslaughter after driving his boat into a pillar 75km/h while drunk and killing his passenger and sending himself to intensive care for almost six months
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
beetleman64

Post by beetleman64 »

Well I for one have sent off a complaint to the BBC. I can't see it making any difference, but it smoething.

Anyway, the teams are apparently none too pleased because they really want F1 on Free to air so their sponsors get more coverage (and pay them more). Hopefully FOTA will kick up a nice fuss soon before it's too late to save next season.
Martin Brundle for FIA president. We need someone with common sense up in the ivory tower of power.

I hope Jeoren Slaghekke gets into F1 just so I can say that I've talked to an F1 driver.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

well actually FOTA can't argue this, because BBC have a highlights package for all races, so it is technically on free to air, it's a loophole, but the teams know all about those so I expect there's jack all they can do about it.

Tealy

Post by Tealy »

beetleman64 wrote:Anyway, the teams are apparently none too pleased because they really want F1 on Free to air so their sponsors get more coverage (and pay them more). Hopefully FOTA will kick up a nice fuss soon before it's too late to save next season.

This is the main reason I thought we would never see F1 leave free to air in the UK. Theres no way I can afford sky nevermind want to pay for it so it looks like I'll be joining the streaming crowd next season for the non-BBC races.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

sswishbone wrote:well actually FOTA can't argue this, because BBC have a highlights package for all races, so it is technically on free to air, it's a loophole, but the teams know all about those so I expect there's jack all they can do about it.

If you read the full comments from Whitmarsh and Parr it's clear they have no interest in putting up any kind of fight anyway, and are quite happy with the situation.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

New Autosport article here.

Formula 1 teams are to seek clarification from Bernie Ecclestone on the new BBC/Sky television deal amid concerns about the sport moving away from free-to-air television in 2012.
...Team principals have also expressed some surprise at not having every race shown on free-to-air television, but they want more details from Ecclestone to find out what the specifics of the deal are.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said that he would seek more information from Ecclestone, especially because he felt it important F1 was not taken off free-to-air.

...Whitmarsh said moves to take F1 off free-to-air could be viewed as a breach of the Concorde Agreement, with him claiming that there were clauses in the deal that ties the teams, Ecclestone and the FIA together that guarantees the sport's broadcast platform.

...Williams chairman Adam Parr said the key was understanding the finer details of the arrangement - because what teams lose in widespread television viewing figures could be gained in an increased revenue from Sky.

...Parr also pointed out that the Sky/BBC deal was part of a changing media platform – and he drew comparisons between it and the 'freemium' platform of AUTOSPORT.

...BBC commentator and former F1 driver Martin Brundle said on Twitter that he was "not impressed" with the deal.

"BBC/Sky/F1 2012+. Found out last night, no idea how it will work yet I'm out of contract, will calmly work through options. Not impressed," he wrote.

I only have the PREMIUM content on Autosport because I suscribe to the magazine. The suscription is cheaper than buying from the newsagent, it gets delivered to my door for free AND gives me the premium website content - I am spending LESS than if I bought the magazine from a newsagent, let alone then paying for website content on top...
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Welcome to my world my UK friends. Since F1 went Pay TV in Portugal that I see all the races via streaming in the Internet.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.