2009 Belgian Grand Prix discussion

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CarlosFerreira

Re: 2009 Belgian Grand Prix discussion

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Irisado wrote:
lostpin wrote:Yet again I watched the video on YouTube, Barrichello (or Button) did the same thing, and so did Badoer. :lol:

Neither of them gained an advantage from doing so though, that was the difference.

No. If something is a crime, it doesn't matter if you succeed or not. Attempted murder is just as bad as murder, the difference being success or lack thereafter.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

CarlosFerreira wrote:No. If something is a crime, it doesn't matter if you succeed or not. Attempted murder is just as bad as murder, the difference being success or lack thereafter.

Yet you usually get a lesser punishment (ie. several less years in jail) if you don't succeed that if you do.

BTW, I want to give Kimi some credit for his overtaking on Fisi. Yes, he had KERS, but did you see how close to Fisi he was before the restart? Through Bus Stop and La Source he was right under Fisi's rear wing. Even without KERS he would have put Fisi's lead in danger.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

DonTirri wrote:simply because it seems to be the "in" thing now.

If his performances were consistently good enough, and befitting of somebody who is meant to be a champion, then he would receive far less criticism in my view.

Fair enough. But how about Hamilton? He's been worse than Kimi. How about Alonso? Again, Worse than Kimi. Yes, the McLaren and Renault have been rubbish, but so has the Ferrari. So why they aren't getting any flak when Kimi is?

But the bottom line is: The stewards didnt penalize him, thus it was legal.

I disagree, it means the stewards are not competant because they do not know the rules.

I'll bring up my point from the previous post: It's easy for you to say what they should and shouldn't do from behind the keyboard, even tho I don't know first hand, I'd assume the stewards are just humans too and under tremendous pressure.

For the last three races Räikkönen has been getting better and better, three consecutive podiums, one a piece ON A CAR THAT HASN'T SEEN ANY [deleted expletive] DEVELOPMENT SINCE GERMANY/HUNGARY And yet you keep saying he's rubbish and should be replaced by alonso and all that other crap a lot of you bathplug been spewin.

I would have far more respect for your points if you could manage not to use unnecessary swear words, and turn off the caps lock key. Writing in capitals and swearing doesn't improve the quality of your argument in my view, and it makes me want to disagree with you more, not less.

I apologize for those, I was just in an extremely ticked off mood of all this constant bashing of Kimi, even after his win.

I appreciate that you are a Raikkonen fan, but I'm afraid I am not. I would be happy to give him some credit if his performances were consistently good enough to warrant his salary and his status as a world champion, but over the course of the last two seasons as a whole, they have not been good enough in my opinion, and this one victory does not mitigate against that.

Everyone can have a bad season or two. Alonso's last two seasons been far from perfect, Schumi had a horrid season 96, Prost absolutely sucked in 90, Piquet was crap in 88 and 89 etc etc. Kimi, just like any other driver, is just human.

And I repeat my point from earlier: He wasnt penalized, THUS IT WASN'T AGAINST THE RULES.

Its easy for you to say what the stewards should or shouldnt do, when in reality you got no [expletive deleted] clue on what goes on behind the curtains

Again caps lock and swearing do not strengthen your argument in my opinion. The stewards need to have a firmer grip of the rules. Gaining an advantage by going off the circuit is not within the rules. Raikkonen did not have to go off the track to the extent to which he did, so the stewards should have penalised him for it in my opinion.

Like I said, it's easy to say what the stewards and in this arguments case, the driver should, shouldnt or had, hadn't do. For the stewards, they were in a tight spot, in the last few races their colleagues have been consistently criticised for calls that affect the lead-battles (Webbers drive-through at 'Ring for example), not to mention they too are human. But it's their call. They didn't penalize kimi, end of discussion.

And for Kimi going that wide... Well, i would imagine its an istinct of every human in every sport or generally in life to try and turn a disadvantage to an advantage. Kimi had nowhere else to go than wide, so he most likely decided to go very wide and gain an advantage from it.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Oh god, who left the door open and let all the drama in? Can't we shovel all this stuff over to the Autosport forums where it belongs? Hey guys it's F1, this is F1 Rejects, it's not the place to have hysterical overreactions to people being big 'ol meanies to multi-millionaire racing drivers.

DonTirri wrote:Fair enough. But how about Hamilton? He's been worse than Kimi. How about Alonso? Again, Worse than Kimi.

Errr, irrelevant. If anyone wishes to critisise Kimi they don't have to justify themselves by giving equal critisism to other drivers that you have decreed are as bad or worse.
But if you feel so strongly about it go ahead and critisise them, noones stopping you and it'll be much more effective then whineing. Hell start a whole thread dedicated to it, particully in the case of Hamilton I think you'll find alot of people agree with you.
Making up the numbers
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

LukeB wrote:Oh god, who left the door open and let all the drama in? Can't we shovel all this stuff over to the Autosport forums where it belongs? Hey guys it's F1, this is F1 Rejects, it's not the place to have hysterical overreactions to people being big 'ol meanies to multi-millionaire racing drivers.

Ermmm...

The Paul Stoddart Memorial Forum
The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

I think it belongs here... maybe a few people are overreacting, but that's normal when you are discussing about F1 :D
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
hclw

Post by hclw »

someone should start one big hamilton/alonso/kimi fanboy thread so that all the autosport loons can fester in there and leave the rest of us alone
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Yeah but there's a diffrence between discussing the current goings on in F1 and ranting. There are more then enough forums where F1 is Serious Buisness where any and all critisisms of someone favourite driver is an insult which must not be tolerated. Can't we have one place on the net where those of us that regard F1 as entertainment and not to be taken too seriously can indulge ourselves in some good natured driver bashing? To indulge our petty dislikes and grudges against F1 personalities* without having to worry about someone throwing a hissy-fit about it? :D

*Kimi is exempt from this at least, he has no personality.
Making up the numbers
DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

LukeB, I admit I went overboard.

But that wasnt a rant over any small critique over my favorite driver. We are talking about months of constant bashing, and when people go on a "He won only cause he cheated on the first corner"... That tipped the cup over.

So yeah, difference between pulling fit on all critique (a trait common in Lewisteria) and my rant exist.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

DonTirri wrote:Fair enough. But how about Hamilton? He's been worse than Kimi. How about Alonso? Again, Worse than Kimi. Yes, the McLaren and Renault have been rubbish, but so has the Ferrari. So why they aren't getting any flak when Kimi is?

How have either of those drivers been worse? Let's examine this in detail:

In the case of all three, they have had bad cars for much of the season, so their team mates are their best forms of comparison in my opinion:

Let's start with Hamilton. He has made a few errors this year, but he really has driven that McLaren very hard, a lot harder than it wanted to be driven some of the time, hence why he has had offs. He has been much more of a threat in most of the races than Kovalainen has though, and has scored a lot more points than him, and let's not forget that when both Hamilton and Raikkonen had race winning cars last year, Raikkonen looked very ordinary as the reigning world champion compared to Massa, but Hamilton was clearly quicker than Kovalainen.

On to Alonso. Over the past year and a half, his Renault has been generally poor, yet he has qualified in the top ten on a regular basis, and utterly trounced his team mate. Yes, Piquet has struggled, but he really was thumped very heavily, regardless of what he might say, in terms of competitiveness by Alonso, and in 2008 and 2009 Raikkonen rarely had the beating of Massa, who, let's not forget, is not meant to be as good as Raikkonen. It was Raikkonen who was employed by Ferrari to win the championships, Massa was meant to be a solid number two.

It is for these reasons, in my view, that Raikkonen is taking so much flak.

Over the last three races, he has improved, I agree, and if he sustains that improvement through until the end of the season, then he will make me take notice, but otherwise, I think he is being flattered by Massa's absence.

I'll bring up my point from the previous post: It's easy for you to say what they should and shouldn't do from behind the keyboard, even tho I don't know first hand, I'd assume the stewards are just humans too and under tremendous pressure.

They had the entire race to look at the incident and decide whether or not to issue a penalty, so I don't think they were under a huge amount of pressure (by F1 standards) to be honest. They were under much more pressure last year with the Raikkonen/Hamilton incident, since it took place near the end of the race, meaning that they had to defer their decision, which they then made a total hash of in my view.

I apologize for those, I was just in an extremely ticked off mood of all this constant bashing of Kimi, even after his win.

Apology accepted, and you are making a much better case without them :) .

Everyone can have a bad season or two. Alonso's last two seasons been far from perfect, Schumi had a horrid season 96, Prost absolutely sucked in 90, Piquet was crap in 88 and 89 etc etc. Kimi, just like any other driver, is just human.

Again, let's look at these:

Alonso has actually outperformed his car quite a bit in the last two years in my opinion. Look at Piquet. If two inexperienced drivers had been racing for Renault both this year and last, I think they would have struggled to get more than ten points.

Schumacher's horrid season in 1996 was down to the car, and he still managed three wins! It wasn't exactly a shocker was it, and in spite of all the problems, Ferrari were still second in the constructors' championship, thanks to Schumacher.

I actually believe that 1996 was Schumacher's best year. He made only one big mistake (Monaco, and very funny it was too!), but otherwise he transcended the car, and made it go much faster than it was supposed to. Just ask Eddie Irvine, a man who rarely praises anyone except himself, how good Schumacher was in 1996.

Prost was challenging for the title in 1990, so I would contend that he had rather a good year actually. Do you mean 1991 by any chance? That wasn't his finest year, I agree.

Piquet Sr is the best candidate from that list. In fact how he drove for Lotus in 1988 and 1989 reminds me of how Raikkonen drove for Ferrari much of 2008 and the first half of this year. I think both were lacking motivation and drive, and whether Raikkonen has found it again or now, I'm still not convinced.

He could find the speed to be a title contender if he were to switch to another team, but his motivation over the course of an entire season seems to be his problem, not that he cannot drive quickly.

They didn't penalize kimi, end of discussion.

In terms of the results maybe, but this needs to be cleared up for next year's race. We cannot have a situation where drivers go off the track and gain an advantage at La Source every year at the Belgian Grand Prix, so the issue of solving that is still very much up for discussion in my opinion.

And for Kimi going that wide... Well, i would imagine its an istinct of every human in every sport or generally in life to try and turn a disadvantage to an advantage. Kimi had nowhere else to go than wide, so he most likely decided to go very wide and gain an advantage from it.

He did have to go wide, I agree, but not as far wide as he did go in my view, that's why he gained an advantage, and that's why I think the stewards should have penalised him.

I'm not arguing for the result to be changed retrospectively, but this issue does need to be sorted out for future races in my view (see above comments).
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

The situation seems pretty simple to me. Drivers have never been penalised for running wide and gaining an advantage; only those cutting corners get a penalty. I realise that this isn't exactly clear in the regulations (since both scenarios involve gaining advantage by running off the track) but it seems to be the way things work.
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

DonTirri wrote:LukeB, I admit I went overboard.

To be fair you're not the only one, though perhaps the most obvious. Frankly both sides seem to be getting way too overwrought on this issue and taking it way too seriously.
Meh, maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'd hate to see these boards descending into the pointless factionalism that plagues most sport forums. Ferrari fans and McLaren fans snipeing at eachother, Hamilton fans and Alonso fans doing the same etc. We should make like MLK, fans of all diffrent kinds coming together to sit in the peanut gallery and snipe at F1 rather then eachother. I HAVE A DREAM... :)
Making up the numbers
hclw

Post by hclw »

I share LukeB's dream:

I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the Formula One dream.

I have a dream that one day this forum will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all f1 reject drivers are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the Eau Rouge hill of Spa the son of Nelson Piquet Senior and the son of Flavio Briatore's Dad will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the FIA, an organisation sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom, justice and moderate competence.

I have a dream that Luca Badoer will one day race in a sport where he will not be judged by his lap times but by the content of his character.

I have a dream today.
Many Blue Flags

Post by Many Blue Flags »

hclw wrote:I have a dream that one day this forum will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all f1 reject drivers are created equal."

Not necessarily. One could have been created via missionary, another by retrograde wheelbarrow...
Also Known As 'Mr Two-Seconds-Off-The-Pace'

YAFUGGA BLOODY GAFUGGOV is all I say to you.
DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

DonTirri wrote:Fair enough. But how about Hamilton? He's been worse than Kimi. How about Alonso? Again, Worse than Kimi. Yes, the McLaren and Renault have been rubbish, but so has the Ferrari. So why they aren't getting any flak when Kimi is?

How have either of those drivers been worse? Let's examine this in detail:

In the case of all three, they have had bad cars for much of the season, so their team mates are their best forms of comparison in my opinion:

Let's start with Hamilton. He has made a few errors this year, but he really has driven that McLaren very hard, a lot harder than it wanted to be driven some of the time, hence why he has had offs. He has been much more of a threat in most of the races than Kovalainen has though, and has scored a lot more points than him, and let's not forget that when both Hamilton and Raikkonen had race winning cars last year, Raikkonen looked very ordinary as the reigning world champion compared to Massa, but Hamilton was clearly quicker than Kovalainen.

On to Alonso. Over the past year and a half, his Renault has been generally poor, yet he has qualified in the top ten on a regular basis, and utterly trounced his team mate. Yes, Piquet has struggled, but he really was thumped very heavily, regardless of what he might say, in terms of competitiveness by Alonso, and in 2008 and 2009 Raikkonen rarely had the beating of Massa, who, let's not forget, is not meant to be as good as Raikkonen. It was Raikkonen who was employed by Ferrari to win the championships, Massa was meant to be a solid number two.

It is for these reasons, in my view, that Raikkonen is taking so much flak.

Fair argument, but you also need to factor in the fact that neither Kovalainen nor Piquet can be mentioned in the same day as Massa in driving talent. Kimi might not be smoking his teamie like Alonso and Hamilton, but neither would they be if they were teamed with Massa.

Over the last three races, he has improved, I agree, and if he sustains that improvement through until the end of the season, then he will make me take notice, but otherwise, I think he is being flattered by Massa's absence.

The funny thing is, resultwise Kimi has been better than Massa. Who took Ferrari's first point of the season? Kimi. Who took the first podium? Kimi. and now, even tho Massa is gone, first win went to Kimi too.

Granted, Massa has been more consistent than Kimi, but I think it's an established fact since 03 that Kimi isn't a consistent driver. Quick as a hiccup but not consistent.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I have a dream too... MyF1Dream... either that or EarthDreams
Waris

Post by Waris »

Many Blue Flags wrote:
hclw wrote:I have a dream that one day this forum will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all f1 reject drivers are created equal."

Not necessarily. One could have been created via missionary, another by retrograde wheelbarrow...

He said equal, not equally. :lol: Sorry for the bump. =P
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS