Vettel will be on Top Gear this Sunday

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
razta

Vettel will be on Top Gear this Sunday

Post by razta »

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2636 ... is-sunday/

Vettel to appear on Top Gear this Sunday
6 July 2011

World Champion Sebastian Vettel will appear on this Sunday’s episode of Top Gear, the BBC has confirmed to GPUpdate.net. On Wednesday, the German is visiting the test track in order to attempt his shot at being the ‘Star in a Reasonably Priced Car’.

Ahead of last year’s British Grand Prix, it was Williams’ Rubens Barrichello who proudly ‘Beat the Stig’ – later handing out several t-shirts to confirm it. For the F1 drivers’ challenge Vettel will take to the wheel of a Suzuki Liana and, prior to watching his best lap back, chat with host Jeremy Clarkson.

Current Top Gear F1 leaderboard:
1 Rubens Barrichello - 1:44.3
2 The Stig (2) – 1:44.4
3 Nigel Mansell – 1:44.6
4 Jenson Button (2) – 1:44.7
5 Lewis Hamilton – 1:44.7 (Wet & Oily)
6 Jenson Button (1) – 1:44.9 (Wet
7 The Stig (1) – 1:46.0
8 Damon Hill – 1:46.3
9 Mark Webber – 1:47.1 (Very Wet)
10 Michael Schumacher – no time

Episode 3 of the current Top Gear series will air at 8pm BST on Sunday.
Shadaza

Re: Vettel will be on Top Gear this Sunday

Post by Shadaza »

It would be salt in the wounds to see him Win the British Grand Prix AND then top the top gear leaderboard! If that does happen he might as well use the "other" finger.
Message me on Discord.
razta

Post by razta »

Shadaza wrote:It would be salt in the wounds to see him Win the British Grand Prix AND then top the top gear leaderboard! If that does happen he might as well use the "other" finger.

yeah.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Pity I genuinely can't stand to watch Top Gear any more.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Thunderer

Post by Thunderer »

Why do I have a feeling Clarkson will be unleashing a load of finger-related jokes? :lol:
I don't know what Deletraz is doing either...
nome66

Post by nome66 »

BUUUUTT.... the Leana doesn't have flexy wings
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Yawn! I'd prefer to have Deletraz on Top Gear.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

redbulljack14 wrote:Yawn! I'd prefer to have Deletraz on Top Gear.

Or HWNSNBM, destroying the lap record!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Deletraz on Top Gear! Someone tip them about that!

"And now, with Murray Walker present, we will all find out about what Deletraz is doing!"
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

id like to see kobayashi......
MansellsEyebrows

Post by MansellsEyebrows »

shinji wrote:Pity I genuinely can't stand to watch Top Gear any more.

interestingly, this new season of top gear has been far better than recent years so far, with it being much more natural and genuinly funny like it used to be over the 'do anything delibrately for laughs'-fest it has been recently.
Some say GPWS is a bit mad...It is, but blame that godawful Jean Marie-Biasti...
GroupLotusRenault

Post by GroupLotusRenault »

MansellsEyebrows wrote:

interestingly, this new season of top gear has been far better than recent years so far, with it being much more natural and genuinly funny like it used to be over the 'do anything delibrately for laughs'-fest it has been recently.

I think its time to end Top Gear. Its had its time and its become boring. Top Gear Australia is ultra boring.
Engineering Student

"Is it because im Black" Lewis Hamilton 2011 Monaco GP No its because you dont ram people off the track.

Eric Bollouir- "the arrogence of the english" Says the one who runs a English team based in England
mario

Post by mario »

GroupLotusRenault wrote:
MansellsEyebrows wrote:

I think its time to end Top Gear. Its had its time and its become boring. Top Gear Australia is ultra boring.

Personally, I'll agree that, at times, the current show has almost become a parody of its former self, with the stunts being increasingly over the top, much of the show feeling staged, instead of flowing naturally, and generally being designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. There have also been times where it feels like the Top Gear presenters, particularly Clarkson, were spending more effort deliberately courting controversy in an attempt to keep ratings high and their show in the headlines than actually making the show better.

It's a shame in a way, because the shows do have moments of inspiration - the film that Clarkson did on the E-Type Jaguar was probably one of their best pieces in a long time, and their film on Senna in the previous series was similarly emotive. If they had a few more films like that per season, say, on legendary and unsung motorsport heroes, or revolutionary moments in the automotive world, and fewer staged stunts, then I think that the show could be much better.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

That's the thing though - it's not a car programme as such anymore, it's a family entertainment show.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I'll be taping the show, just to hope that he won't beat Rubens' time.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Not a good brummie accent from Vettel, we don't sound like that.

Well, I don't anyway.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Well, if the car prices is England, really are that low... I'm moving next year!

I mean, with my spare money, I can buy, several V12 CL 600's, but here in Norway, I don't even have half the money for a tired 93 model CL 600...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Myrvold wrote:Well, if the car prices is England, really are that low... I'm moving next year!

I mean, with my spare money, I can buy, several V12 CL 600's, but here in Norway, I don't even have half the money for a tired 93 model CL 600...

You'd go for the CL 600? I prefer the BMW, I mean, IT'S GOT FLIPPING HEADLIGHTS!!!!!!!!!
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

So Vettel did beat Barrichello time in Top Gear's 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car' challenge. By 3 tenths. Not bad, but I might add that Hamilton's time in the wet was even more impressive...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

WeirdKerr wrote:id like to see kobayashi......

I second that.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I would LIKE to see Kobayashi, but I would LOVE to see Yuji Ide try...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

tommykl wrote:
Myrvold wrote:Well, if the car prices is England, really are that low... I'm moving next year!

You'd go for the CL 600? I prefer the BMW, I mean, IT'S GOT FLIPPING HEADLIGHTS!!!!!!!!!

Well, ye :P But the money... jeez
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

DanielPT wrote:So Vettel did beat Barrichello time in Top Gear's 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car' challenge.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Just saw the whole thing on Youtube.
He's a funny guy. I loved the parts about Schumacher and Patrick Head.
And see? It's not just the car :P
Peter

Post by Peter »

shinji wrote:That's the thing though - it's not a car programme as such anymore, it's a family entertainment show.

This just past episode disagrees with you. They're at long last a car show again.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Peter wrote:
shinji wrote:That's the thing though - it's not a car programme as such anymore, it's a family entertainment show.

This just past episode disagrees with you. They're at long last a car show again.

But Clarkson said the next episode will be business as usual :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Peter

Post by Peter »

DOSBoot wrote:
DanielPT wrote:So Vettel did beat Barrichello time in Top Gear's 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car' challenge.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Clarkson said it all the time, in wet conditions, you gain about 3-5 seconds a lap. So, technically, Lewis and Webber are faster :P
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Peter wrote:
DOSBoot wrote:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Clarkson said it all the time, in wet conditions, you gain about 3-5 seconds a lap. So, technically, Lewis and Webber are faster :P

But not officially, so my opinion stands. :P
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Button's second effort had ice in places, does that make him technically fastest? :P I did see the interview and it was very good indeed, he gained some points back from me as he showed his natural side and penchant for good comedy. His brummie accent was poor, but can forgive that. Be interesting to see some of the other drivers, eyebrow man would be interesting, as I can't see his interview being as esy going lol
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

sswishbone wrote:Button's second effort had ice in places, does that make him technically fastest? :P I did see the interview and it was very good indeed, he gained some points back from me as he showed his natural side and penchant for good comedy. His brummie accent was poor, but can forgive that. Be interesting to see some of the other drivers, eyebrow man would be interesting, as I can't see his interview being as esy going lol

Señor Eyebrows would probably wreck the entire studio if he doesn't go fastest, so it is a risk for BBC :P. Besides, given the stick he took from the British press when was at McLaren and the fact that he probably is the most hated F1 driver in the history of UK, I can't really see an invitation from BBC or Alonso accepting one in case it comes along.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Myrvold wrote:
tommykl wrote:

Well, ye :P But the money... jeez

It was a good segment, but as usual, top gear avoided the reality and they didn't mention the undoubtedly horrifying costs of maintenance, fuel consumption, spares etc. Both of those cars, especially being automatics, are very rare here and you'd be paying through the teeth just to look at the thing in your driveway. Used cars are cheap here, but always have plenty of strings attatched!

I thought vettel's interview was pretty good, him being top of the board was a given though
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Yes, can someone explain this to me? In America if I went to buy a Mercedes like that (I searched and found the same model in comparable condition), I would end up paying about $5000 more (I did the conversion to find this number, so thats $16000 vs. the $11000 they spent.) Roughly the same is true for an 850i in similar condition.

There must be a catch (beyond the fact that the cars are just waiting to spring problems), like how much you're going to pay to insure it.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
mario

Post by mario »

F1000X wrote:

Yes, can someone explain this to me? In America if I went to buy a Mercedes like that (I searched and found the same model in comparable condition), I would end up paying about $5000 more (I did the conversion to find this number, so thats $16000 vs. the $11000 they spent.) Roughly the same is true for an 850i in similar condition.

There must be a catch (beyond the fact that the cars are just waiting to spring problems), like how much you're going to pay to insure it.

I would say that patrick has touched on the major issues with the cars that the presenters bought:

patrick wrote:It was a good segment, but as usual, top gear avoided the reality and they didn't mention the undoubtedly horrifying costs of maintenance, fuel consumption, spares etc. Both of those cars, especially being automatics, are very rare here and you'd be paying through the teeth just to look at the thing in your driveway. Used cars are cheap here, but always have plenty of strings attatched!

I thought vettel's interview was pretty good, him being top of the board was a given though

Hammond, admittedly, did hint that the Bentley he was driving around in at the start of that clip would be colossally expensive to run - remember that James May used to have an old Bentley in one of the earlier series? He eventually got rid of the car, joking that his mechanics must have been the only mechanic in the country who could afford designer overalls due to the cost of servicing the cars - and that was before he actually drove it anywhere.
After all, having taken a look on Autotrader, there are CL600's for sale that have a similar specification to Clarkson's car on the show, and for a similar price - but, when the fuel consumption is under 17mpg on the combined cycle (barely over 11mpg in urban environments), and petrol prices are in the £1.35-1.40 range, you can see how cars like that would chew through money quite easily.

As for the other cars they highlighted - for example, the Mazda MX-8, Honda S2000 etc. that were all below about £6,700, that is perhaps a little less surprising - those cars, whilst in immaculate condition, are relatively commonplace, so you would expect them to depreciate quite quickly (after all, most mass market cars are only worth about 60% of their list price after one year of use, let alone three or more years).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Of course, but I mean, the same cars in Norway, does cost from 45-60'000 GBP... That is 8-10 times as much! It is the same darn cars, and in Norway, the fuel costs 1.7 GBP for a litre of petrol (or 0.25 gallons)...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Myrvold, 1 litre = 0.220 UK gallons or 0.264 US gallons.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Oh, difference between gallons as well :P Not easy to keep track of!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Myrvold wrote:Oh, difference between gallons as well :P Not easy to keep track of!

Now try to compare US$/USgallon vs. UK£/UKgallon - good maths practice! None of this far-too-easily-divisible-by-10 rubbish for us Anglo-Saxons!
MCard LOLA
RAK

Post by RAK »

mario wrote:Hammond, admittedly, did hint that the Bentley he was driving around in at the start of that clip would be colossally expensive to run - remember that James May used to have an old Bentley in one of the earlier series? He eventually got rid of the car, joking that his mechanics must have been the only mechanic in the country who could afford designer overalls due to the cost of servicing the cars - and that was before he actually drove it anywhere.
After all, having taken a look on Autotrader, there are CL600's for sale that have a similar specification to Clarkson's car on the show, and for a similar price - but, when the fuel consumption is under 17mpg on the combined cycle (barely over 11mpg in urban environments), and petrol prices are in the £1.35-1.40 range, you can see how cars like that would chew through money quite easily.

As for the other cars they highlighted - for example, the Mazda MX-8, Honda S2000 etc. that were all below about £6,700, that is perhaps a little less surprising - those cars, whilst in immaculate condition, are relatively commonplace, so you would expect them to depreciate quite quickly (after all, most mass market cars are only worth about 60% of their list price after one year of use, let alone three or more years).

I think there still is a good point to be made that there are some exceptional bargains within the car market in Britain, especially if you look for moderately well-equipped Japanese or European hatchbacks, which easily beat the dullness of a car like the Pixo, a car built to Indian standards, with hardly any kit as standard, let alone turds of automobiles like some of the Daewoo-made, Chevrolet-badged econoboxes or the entire Ssangyong range. I mean, the Pixo doesn't even come with a rev counter. My thirteen-year-old Volkswagen Golf Mk3 comes with more than one dial, even as an entry-level CL model. The Pixo was the sort of car which CAR magazine's two-star rating was made for.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

May did say they'd been idiotic and that they'd be a nightmare after run anywhere, to which Hammond and Jezza stated they were keeping them, running them and then reporting back on the issues. As a claims handler the things I can see being the problem with these cars: -

a) Expensive fuel run
b) Expensive insurance
c) Reliability issues
d) Probable write off if an accident involves replacing of two or more panels of the car
e) You either have the cash saved, or it'll be a bank loan job to pay, can't get it on finance

But what the show really highlighted, especially with the crowd in the town square, is how a lot of people have no idea what a car is worth. I remember a conversation I had in my job where I told a policyholder their car was probably a write off, as it was a 1997 Ford Mondeo,to which the guy replied 'my car is worth at least £1500!' Delusional!

For me, right now the best car you can buy on the market is probably a 2002 - 2003 Ford Focus/Mondeo, but that's a whole other topic :lol:
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

RAK wrote:My thirteen-year-old Volkswagen Golf Mk3 comes with more than one dial, even as an entry-level CL model.

I had a 1995 Golf GL, and was always quite surprised that the speedo was only marked to 120 mph, whereas the CL was marked to 140 mph. And this was irrespective of what fuel they used. What were VW doing there?

RAK wrote:The Pixo was the sort of car which CAR magazine's two-star rating was made for.

I dread to think what would get a one-star rating, then. Will the old FSO factory stop making Daewoos and bring back the Polonez? Or what about toy cars like the G-Wiz and those Aixam hairdryers, will they be rated that low?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"