Your Reject of the Race - Belgium!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Captain Hammer

Your Reject of the Race - Belgium!

Post by Captain Hammer »

It's that time of the weekend again, folks!

My Reject for Spa is the British sporting press for building Jenson Button up only to take a macarbe delight in tearing him back down again. It's the last thing he needs when he has a championship lead to defend on a circuit where he knows he's vulnerable.

I'll also nominate Button himself. Fourteenth is his lowest qualifying place for nearly a year, and Barrichello managed fourth. That said, this may be a blessing in disguise: Button now gets to choose his strategy for tomorrow, and Toyota in particular have done exceptional things with Glock on long stints. If the Brawn's tyre management problems are gone, Button may be one of the heaviest. We know he likes a heavy car, and we know the tyre compunds are sequential for this round. With Red Bull qualifying poorly and Ross Brawn to guide his strategy, Button may avoid Rejectdom for this race, but this is the second time in as many races where luck has gone his way somewhat. All he has to do is finish ahead of he Red Bulls - or, if he can't, hope they score lowly - from hereon in. It's going to be very interesting if the title fight is played out over who gets the minor placings ...

Speaking of Red Bull, they also get a nod. They've been very conservative this weekend, trying to avoid another engine blowup. And all of it was for nothing; Webber had an engine problem in FP3, and he and Vettel could only manage eighth and ninth place on the grid. Button must be laughing.

And finally, I'm going to nominate our very own Captain Hammer. Yes, you read that right: me! Call it eternal optimism, but I keep talking up Button'scahnces and downplaying Red Bull's, but I suspect it will all be for naught!
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
DemocalypseNow

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Belgium!

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Button is ROTR thus far.
And of course Badoer for binning it while overtaking Vettel.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Much as I'm a fan, Badoer for promising to do better in Spa... and not. And for causing me so much heartbreak.
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

If Badoer's probable poor performance is the outstandingly rejecty aspect of the race, I'll eat my hat.
Enrique Bernoldi

Post by Enrique Bernoldi »

Badoer. The only thing he's managed to do is extend his number of races without a point to...what is it now...50?

Edited for typo. I put 70 instead of 50.
Supporting the guys at the back since 1999. :)
Nin13

Post by Nin13 »

Looks like Button, but race is still there..........
Button P14 and Rubens P4, it will be great if Rubens can outpace and get big points out of Button and RBR duo. Let me tell you he could still win WDC, with all bashing that he has got, it will be a good way to give them (his haters) a big slice of humble pie!!
Jenson's smooth driving style costing him too much!!
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Captain Hammer wrote:And finally, I'm going to nominate our very own Captain Hammer. Yes, you read that right: me! Call it eternal optimism, but I keep talking up Button'scahnces and downplaying Red Bull's, but I suspect it will all be for naught!

Nah, we all have a soft spot for someone, whether it's the new kids on the block, the usual suspects, an old favourite or the read headed next door neighbour. Wait, what?

I'm nominating Renault. Grosjean is talented but couldn't do enough to go through Q1, while Alonso was fighting the thing all the way and couldn't make it past Q2. Engines keep blowing up - admittedly, it's probably an installation problem in the Red Bulls. All 4 cars were struggling in sectors 1 and 3, where it's all about power. And they're also saying they might bring KERS back for Monza - which shows they're at a loss for explanations of what's wrong, have probably exhausted the development potential of the car and can't think of anything better than 80 bhp, after saying it was a bad idea. That's rejectworthy.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

It's too early to tell just yet. But Nakajima surely has placed a stong bid by being outperformed by Badoer in one of the free practise sessions. And Trulli's P2 grid slot doesn't make it likely that he'll be in the Toyota for next year either.

This time around for once, the front end of the grid is more exiting than the back. If it weren't out of support for Luca, I'd not be interested in the award for Spa 2009 at all.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
johnston21

Post by johnston21 »

Surely this hinders Brawn requesting Rubins to support Button in the WDC...
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

Well, I was being protective over Badoer at Valencia, but this time he's pushing it too far.. :D
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Here is a radical nomination: Adrian Sutil.

While his team-mate is on Pole...he starts in 11th.
Similar story for Button, team-mate 4th, he is 14th.

Image Image
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Hey Kostas, nice avatar. You have the high-res of that anywhere? I'm fishing for a new background for my computer.
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

kostas22 wrote:Here is a radical nomination: Adrian Sutil.

While his team-mate is on Pole...he starts in 11th.
Similar story for Button, team-mate 4th, he is 14th.

At least Adrian was on the pace throughout the weekend, and he barely missed out on Q3. Jenson was struggling in practice as well as in qualifying, so my noination will go to him unless he can improve in the race.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Enrique Bernoldi wrote:Badoer. The only thing he's managed to do is extend his number of races without a point to...what is it now...50?

Edited for typo. I put 70 instead of 50.

With this race, there will be 58 races for BAD without scoring a point. Sadly, I think that Danny Ongais profile will be delayed :?

As for my reject, I'm going to choose Button. He'll probably take desperate actions at the race to gain positions. And also Nakajima, who again has demonstrated that he isn't worth of his Williams seat, being outqualified by Alguersuari.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Talking about silly actions, can we finally see BAD using KERS to wipe out half the field in Les Combes? Come on Luca, it's now or never...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Talking about silly actions, can we finally see BAD using KERS to wipe out half the field in Les Combes? Come on Luca, it's now or never...

He needs to do it in such a manner that his car is able to continue in eighth place with nobody behind him.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

thehemogoblin wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:Talking about silly actions, can we finally see BAD using KERS to wipe out half the field in Les Combes? Come on Luca, it's now or never...

He needs to do it in such a manner that his car is able to continue in eighth place with nobody behind him.

I suppose he'll press the pit lane speed limiter at the start, instead of KERS...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

He already tried to take out Vettel in Q1. And that backfired spectacularly.

Image Image
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

CarlosFerreira wrote:I suppose he'll press the pit lane speed limiter at the start, instead of KERS...

Unlikely, he made a blinding start at Valencia.

Button looks like a good candidate this weekend, both for his lack of pace, and his attitude, but I will reserve final judgement until after the race.
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

I will nominate Bazuki Hiroshima :D for being slower than Badoer at one point in practice, and I predict that he will waste his nosecone in the first corner of the race and afterwards he'll send the car flying from Eau Rouge (and hitting some photographer on the other side of the fence) :mrgreen:
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

The reject of the qualifying session has to sadly be Badoer. Last in qualifying again and trying to drive away after his crash with broken rear suspension. And to think (as the BBC commentary team said) that there was a 6 to 1 chance of him scoring a point according to the bookies.
This is a cool spot.
Life w12

Post by Life w12 »

I nominate Kimi Raikkonen because you know eventually he's going to rob Force India from scoring their first point (again)
XurizManson

Post by XurizManson »

Badoer for ROTR.
Barrichello for the win!

Unfortunately, Fizzie won´t make it. Not using that Alonso-like qualifying strategy.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

XurizManson wrote:Badoer for ROTR.
Barrichello for the win!

Unfortunately, Fizzie won´t make it. Not using that Alonso-like qualifying strategy.

But you've put Barrichello for the win, even though he's even lighter than Fisichella? How does that work?
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I'm going to nominate the Indian Government as a potential Reject for this Race. A few days ago, they declared that Formula One is entertainment, not sport, clearly trying to find a way out of backing an Indian Grand Prix; the suggestion is that Force India is in trouble and may not be around come the inaugural Indian race. But if Force India come through with a win or a podium, I'm willing to bet they have a sudden change of heart.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
XurizManson

Post by XurizManson »

Paul Hayes wrote:
XurizManson wrote:Badoer for ROTR.
Barrichello for the win!

But you've put Barrichello for the win, even though he's even lighter than Fisichella? How does that work?

I think he can. Somehow. Anybody thought in a Rubens´win at Valencia?
TeamTipper

Post by TeamTipper »

ROTR? Force India simple. Letting Ferrari linking Fishi into a drive while Force India are just as strong in some races. keep their top driver!
Mechanical Engineering Student
Bias view of F1
Forti F1 Fan
TeamTipper for 2011 entry lol
HWSNBM as my No.1 driver
Formula One Rejects as my main sponsor
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Button is my ROTR so far with Badoer not far behind but almost everyone here has that dreadful feeling that Raikkonen's gonna f***ing spoil the Force's party AGAIN
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Captain Hammer wrote:I'm going to nominate the Indian Government as a potential Reject for this Race. A few days ago, they declared that Formula One is entertainment, not sport, clearly trying to find a way out of backing an Indian Grand Prix; the suggestion is that Force India is in trouble and may not be around come the inaugural Indian race. But if Force India come through with a win or a podium, I'm willing to bet they have a sudden change of heart.

I read elsewhere that KingFisher Airlines is in a spot of trouble. The low-costs are having their bacon, and India is an incredibly large market. It seems, though, that they've bought one of those low-costs and are going to try to take the fight to them. Let's see how that pans out. Link here: http://is.gd/2HifC

Either way, I say keep Governments out of these issues.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:I'm going to nominate the Indian Government as a potential Reject for this Race. A few days ago, they declared that Formula One is entertainment, not sport, clearly trying to find a way out of backing an Indian Grand Prix; the suggestion is that Force India is in trouble and may not be around come the inaugural Indian race. But if Force India come through with a win or a podium, I'm willing to bet they have a sudden change of heart.

I read elsewhere that KingFisher Airlines is in a spot of trouble. The low-costs are having their bacon, and India is an incredibly large market. It seems, though, that they've bought one of those low-costs and are going to try to take the fight to them. Let's see how that pans out. Link here: http://is.gd/2HifC

Either way, I say keep Governments out of these issues.

Well, the suggestion is that Prodrive might finally makethe grid by buying Force India outright. Not only is there the suggestion that Kingfisher is in dire straights financially, but also that Mallya owes both Ferrari and Mercedes a lot of money for engine deals. He's also been trying to sell off large parts of his booze company - White & Mackey, or whatever it is - of late, but he cannot find a buyer.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Romain Grosjean, hands down. Not only did he cause the first-lap pile-up, but in his inexperience he took out the championship leader at the worst possible moment
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

BBC Commentary team, they were so subdued through the race it was surreal. Legard has resorted to not shouting and Brundle has had enough of him, and they were commentating as if their commentary box was in a morgue. Legard needs the boot for next year, seriously.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Captain Hammer wrote:Romain Grosjean, hands down. Not only did he cause the first-lap pile-up, but in his inexperience he took out the championship leader at the worst possible moment

Grosjean had the most to do with that incident, but Alguersaurus shouldn't be ruled out either. Out of the finishers, I reckon Nakajima takes the wooden spoon, even with Badoer almost a lap behind the leaders. No aggression whatsoever, and pretty much just ambling around.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
kb9vrg

Post by kb9vrg »

Renault.

For proving that only Flavio's driver's can crash out before the 1st lap finishes and that they still can't put a tire on properly.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Actually, I'm changing my mind again. My Reject of the Race for Belgium is The Championship Quartet. Pretty much all four of them have blown it at some point or another, be itButton's poor qualifying, Barrichello stalling at the start again, Webber's unsafe release and drive-through or Vettel's nothin race.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

I nominate Mark Webber's chief mechanic. By releasing him into Kubica he threw out WEbber's chance at points. Oh, did I mention for the second time!
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Here are my picks:

Romain Grosjean - Caused a pile-up in the first lap and knocked out two great drivers, Hamilton and Button, who would have made an already exciting race even more exciting.

Inferior teammates Badoer, Sutil and Nakajima - When Kimi and Fisichella were fighting for the lead, Sutil and Badoer were fighting for... last place. Nakajima was useless while Rosberg was fighting for points.

Fisichella haters on the F1 Rejects forum - Ever since this forum was created, I've been hearing "Fisichella is done", "Fisichella will retire this year" and "Who will replace Fisichella for 2010?". I always thought this was exagerated and the race proved they were wrong.
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

Jenson Button

Who? Seriously though, off the pace all weekend, then the only time he's seen all race is with his car stuck in the wall. Who kidnapped Jenson and replaced him with this monkey?

Kimi Raikkonen

A controversial one I know, but hear me out. Yes he won the race, but to my mind he shouldn't have. Notice that on the first lap, he ran straight off onto the run-of areas, kept his foot hard downand leapt into second, thus alowing him to overtake Fisi at the restart via KERS. Since when was it legal to go off track and gain an advantage? He should have been penalised for that at the very least. Then, still on the opening lap, he runs off at Les Combes, and re-joins slamming into a BMW, and causing the chain-reaction that took off Button, Alguersuari, Hamilton and Grosjean, and doesn't get damaged.

That said, he did drive brilliantly afterwards to retain the lead despite a bungled pitstop and Fisi hounding him, so he probably deserved a podium place. However, I don't believe he deserved the win as it came from the result of a cheat, which put him in the position to take it, and ruined the Force Fairytale again. A minor gripe I know, they did get points, but who didn't want to see Force India win? ;)

(EDIT: For those of you saying that I'm bashing Kimi for the sake of it, read this. I'm not: He drove excellently for 43 laps of the race and showed the world his prodigious talent once again, which I cannot fault him for. He defended well and kept Fisi behind him despite the Force India clearly being faster, and won despite his car not being developed for over a month. However, a reject-worthy incident is still a reject-worthy incicdent, regardless of your performance later on in the race, and I regard gaining an undeserved advantage (via going off-track) without retribution, dislodging part of a win-threatening rival's front wing and triggering a multi-car pile-up to be a reject-worthy incident.)

Pit Crews

Did we go back in time for this race? A start crash, engine near-blow-ups and proper overtaking action. Maybe the regulations for this year do work, but only on racks that were designed for overtaking and racing,rather than as a marketting excercise.

But also from years gone by were pistop errors. After the near-bulletproof reliability of pistops, there were at least 3 errors in that race:

-A toyota on fire due to fuel splashes.

-Mark Webber being released into Heidfeld by his lollipop man. I don't blame Mark for this, as you cannot see anything but the area immediately surrounding your rear wheels with the mirrors.

-Alonso's bungled tyre change (Tuero-esque)

Plus some other errors that were smaller, such as Raikkonen's first stop being delayed slightly. Where did these come from.

Adrian Sutil

Again, I didn't want to have to nominate him, but does this guy have any luck at all? His best chance of scoring points yet, and he gets his front wing destroyed by Alonso barely 500 yards into the race. He did recover well and was close to Fisi's time throughout the race, which makes it all the more heartbreaking for him, as without needing a new nose, he would have easily been in the points.
Last edited by Ben Gilbert on 30 Aug 2009, 16:19, edited 3 times in total.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Though not my reject of the race, I agree about Legard, he just doesn't inject excitement into the race. Say what you like about James Allen, at least he put the energy into it and got excited at the appropriate places. Legard is incredibly dull.
Many Blue Flags

Post by Many Blue Flags »

Captain Hammer wrote:Actually, I'm changing my mind again. My Reject of the Race for Belgium is The Championship Quartet. Pretty much all four of them have blown it at some point or another, be itButton's poor qualifying, Barrichello stalling at the start again, Webber's unsafe release and drive-through or Vettel's nothin race.

Except for Vettel's third place from eighth on the grid. I'm going here with Renault, for the reasons both Alonso's pit crew and Grosjean are mentioned above. Plus, Alonso's inability to get into Q3 yesterday.
Also Known As 'Mr Two-Seconds-Off-The-Pace'

YAFUGGA BLOODY GAFUGGOV is all I say to you.