2000 German GP

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

2000 German GP

Post by WeirdKerr »

Sky are currently showing the 2000 German gp (yes the one with the disgruntled Merc employee track invader idiot)

Things I really miss

The noise of the screaming v10s
    The Flat out blast of the old Hockenheim and the noise of those screaming v10s
    Murray walker's commentary
    Actual racing!!!
    Did I mention the v10s?

that is all
Rob Dylan

Re: 2000 German GP

Post by Rob Dylan »

+ attrition significant and frequent enough to jeopardise even the safest-looking championships, as even Schumacher's massive lead was wittled down by gremlins and first-corner crashes.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

WeirdKerr wrote:Sky are currently showing the 2000 German gp (yes the one with the disgruntled Merc employee track invader idiot)

Things I really miss

Actual racing!!!
    Did I mention the v10s?

that is all

Agreed, although I'm sure people used to complain about the actual racing back then too.
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

CoopsII wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:Sky are currently showing the 2000 German gp (yes the one with the disgruntled Merc employee track invader idiot)

Things I really miss

Actual racing!!!
    Did I mention the v10s?

that is all

Agreed, although I'm sure people used to complain about the actual racing back then too.

Indeed, as much as I love old Hockenheim, it was never popular from a racing perspective. And you need look no further than the mandate for skinnier cars in 1998 to see that the FIA were in the business of tampering with the rulebook for reasons other than safety even back then.
#FreeGonzo
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Watching that race last night made me feel all nostalgic for those days.... even though back then I was probably moaning about the racing.... also made me feel old realising that its was over a decade ago and next season will be 30 years since I started watching f1 as a 12/13 year old (i'll be 42 next month) and after a quick calculation Azerbaijan was infact the 500th Grand prix I watched..... :shock: Missed marking that milestone oops :facepalm:
andrew

Post by andrew »

I do enjoy the classic races on sky f1 but I do wish they will not just keep repeating the same ones over and over. With Hungary 2003 appearing twice in a fortnight, please sky show some different races, Germany 2010 is not a classic, why not show Europe 1999 which is in your introduction or Hungary 2006.
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

CoopsII wrote:

Things I really miss

Actual racing!!!
    Did I mention the v10s?

that is all

Sure they (we) did! A part from few races (Hockenheim 2000 one of these), overtaking was very rare, but every GP was exciting nonetheless: cars showing their real potential (and not trying to deal with just 4 engines per season), massive improvement every week,engines blowing up spectacularly and unexpectedly, and so on...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

andrew wrote:I do enjoy the classic races on sky f1 but I do wish they will not just keep repeating the same ones over and over. With Hungary 2003 appearing twice in a fortnight, please sky show some different races, Germany 2010 is not a classic, why not show Europe 1999 which is in your introduction or Hungary 2006.

I have seen Europe 99 come around a few times. Unfortunately Sky Classic races tend to cover those where a British driver wins / is unlucky to lose the race at the end (eg Hungary 97 which is on ALL THE TIME) or the blindingly obvious (eg Monaco 82) and there are far too many recent ones whereas some years are barely featured.

I'd have liked to have seen Germany 94 personally. Yes, most of the action is over after the first 3rd, but it is reject gold.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:I'd have liked to have seen Germany 94 personally. Yes, most of the action is over after the first 3rd, but it is reject gold.

That is probably the first race where I became aware that midfield teams were actually capable of surprise results and therefore it may not be in vain to support them. Good old Panis and Barnard of Ligier...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:That is probably the first race where I became aware that midfield teams were actually capable of surprise results and therefore it may not be in vain to support them. Good old Panis and Barnard of Ligier...

And in my case it'd be San Marino 1991.

I wonder what happened to that bloke called Mika Häkkinen who scored for Lotus in their second-least-competitive season?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
andrew

Post by andrew »

Barbazza wrote:
andrew wrote:I do enjoy the classic races on sky f1 but I do wish they will not just keep repeating the same ones over and over. With Hungary 2003 appearing twice in a fortnight, please sky show some different races, Germany 2010 is not a classic, why not show Europe 1999 which is in your introduction or Hungary 2006.

I have seen Europe 99 come around a few times. Unfortunately Sky Classic races tend to cover those where a British driver wins / is unlucky to lose the race at the end (eg Hungary 97 which is on ALL THE TIME) or the blindingly obvious (eg Monaco 82) and there are far too many recent ones whereas some years are barely featured.

I'd have liked to have seen Germany 94 personally. Yes, most of the action is over after the first 3rd, but it is reject gold.

Indeed. I never seen a race from 2004 featured for example (some of them must have been decent) whereas for some reason Germany 2010, and Bahrain 2007 are considered classics for some reason, why??? Europe 2007 is a race worth rerunning and is Hungary 2006 rather than Hungary 2013. How can a race that you broadcast be considered a classic sky? (Brazil 2012 is a different story which I do understand) please show different races from different seasons.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

andrew wrote:Indeed. I never seen a race from 2004 featured for example (some of them must have been decent) whereas for some reason Germany 2010, and Bahrain 2007 are considered classics for some reason, why??? Europe 2007 is a race worth rerunning and is Hungary 2006 rather than Hungary 2013. How can a race that you broadcast be considered a classic sky? (Brazil 2012 is a different story which I do understand) please show different races from different seasons.

Hungary 2011 and even Hungary 2010 were eventful races, and 2006 is rightfully considered a classic, but do you know who didn't win those races?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

dinizintheoven wrote:
dr-baker wrote:And in my case it'd be San Marino 1991.

I wonder what happened to that bloke called Mika Häkkinen who scored for Lotus in their second-least-competitive season?

Yes, that was a good one. San Marino 89 comes around occasionally but I haven't seen 91 (it may have been featured on one of the Beeb's old classic races as a cutdown highlights though IIRC)

I'm not sure I could stand the sight of the beautiful Lambo conking out while in the points again though - breaks my heart, that does.