The Not-Even-Rejects

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Aislabie

The Not-Even-Rejects

Post by Aislabie »

Over the last couple of days, I've been looking for F1 teams that never actually made it onto the grid at all; teams so bad (or badly run) (or just turned down by Eccletron) that they weren't even rejects. So far, I've come up with the following, but the information going back any further is pretty scarce.

• Lola (as extensively profiled on this site, and also entry refused for 2010)
  • Stefan GP (repeatedly refused in 1996, 1997, 2010, 2011, 2015 despite having cars in 2010)
  • Honda (entry not made in 2000, despite a midfield-standard car being built)
  • Phoenix F1 (entry refused for the 2002 season, despite having cars)
  • Prodrive (ruled out due to customer cars not being allowed in 2008, entry refused for 2010)
  • Minardi 2.0 (entry refused for 2008)
  • Jordan 2.0 (entry refused for 2008)
  • Direxiv (entry refused for 2008)
  • Carlin (entry refused for 2008)
  • Epsilon Euskadi (entry refused for 2010, 2011)
  • N.Technology (entry refused for 2010)
  • March 2.0 (entry refused for 2010)
  • Brabham 2.0 (entry refused for 2010)
  • Team Lotus (yet another Lotus entrant, but entry refused for 2010)
  • Superfund (entry refused for 2010)
  • myf1dream.com (entry inevitably refused for 2010)
  • Ray Mallock (entry refused for 2010)
  • USF1 (entry granted for 2010, but couldn't produce a car; entry refused for 2011 as Cypher)
  • ART Grand Prix (entry refused for 2011)
  • Villeneuve-Durango (entry refused for 2011)
  • Scorpion Racing (entry refused for 2013)
  • PURE (entry as an engine manufacturer for 2014 approved, but nobody bought their engines)
  • VW Group (entry as an engine manufacturer for 2016 fell through after emissions scandal)

All the same, I'm certain that's not an extensive list as pre-2008 information is pretty sketchy. Any additional knowledge would be greatly appreciated
Bleu

Re: The Not-Even-Rejects

Post by Bleu »

DAMS had plans to enter F1 in 1995 and they had even car ready but after all they didn't have enough money. Erik Comas, Emmanuel Collard and Jan Lammers tested.

There was also team called First Racing who had entered for 1989 but then failed crash test and withdrew before season-opener. Gabriele Tarquini was supposed to drive and he then jumped to AGS after Streiff was paralysed.

Before HRT there was another Spanish outfit who tried to get into F1 - called Bravo. Failed to materialise for 1993. I believe Jordi Gene was supposed to drive.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Bleu wrote:There was also team called First Racing who had entered for 1989 but then failed crash test and withdrew before season-opener. Gabriele Tarquini was supposed to drive and he then jumped to AGS after Streiff was paralysed.

Before HRT there was another Spanish outfit who tried to get into F1 - called Bravo. Failed to materialise for 1993. I believe Jordi Gene was supposed to drive.

Both teams aren't rejects on their own rights, yet are both related to some well-known rejectful experiences: Bravo had bought the remaining assets of the glorious Andrea Moda team, while the very same chassis FIRST had failed crash tests with was fitted with Rocchi's W12 engine, getting "life" as Life...

As for engine manufacturers, Isuzu had built an engine for Lotus in 1991. It was tested at Silverstone and showed a quite promising pace, but the Japanese company backed off at the last minute.

And the list is missing Don Pentecost's various attempts at an all-American Formula 1 team. :D
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Aislabie wrote:Over the last couple of days, I've been looking for F1 teams that never actually made it onto the grid at all; teams so bad (or badly run) (or just turned down by Eccletron) that they weren't even rejects. So far, I've come up with the following, but the information going back any further is pretty scarce.

[list][*]Lola (as extensively profiled on this site, and also entry refused for 2010).

Any additional knowledge would be greatly appreciated

Of course, of all the potential teams and entries that you mention, this is the one team that actually took part in a qualifying session (but obviously DNQed), and was actually present in Brazil with the equipment, but didn't unpack there. Hence their eligibility, as I understand it, for Reject status.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

#FreeGonzo
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Oh who wouldn't want to see the Lion Grand Prix.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

golic_2004 wrote:

I think someone should totally build that car.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

This wrote:
golic_2004 wrote:

I think someone should totally build that car.

If I knew a bit more about 3D modelling I could do it for rFactor or something.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

Middlebridge. It was essentially a Benetton B186 intended for use in the 1987 season, but I think it violated the Concorde agreement so it was denied.

There was GLAS, which never materialized and kinda sorta became Lambo iirc? The Larrousse LH95, March's 1993 entry perhaps also count, the aborted DOME F1 project, and the Honda RC100/RC101 twins (I'm unsure of the last one because I don't think it was ever seriously intended to compete.)
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

SuzukiSwift wrote:the Honda RC100/RC101 twins (I'm unsure of the last one because I don't think it was ever seriously intended to compete.)

It's indeed unclear, but it seems that Postlethwaite's sudden death during the tests at Barcelona played a role in the project being finally aborted.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

novitopoli wrote:
SuzukiSwift wrote:the Honda RC100/RC101 twins (I'm unsure of the last one because I don't think it was ever seriously intended to compete.)

It's indeed unclear, but it seems that Postlethwaite's sudden death during the tests at Barcelona played a role in the project being finally aborted.

The RA100/101 project took place in the early 90s. The Postlethwaite-headed project was RA099.

The reason why the early 90s project never really got off was that Honda didn't have any real interest in it. They simply let their engineers fiddle around in their spare time...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
vinceg

Post by vinceg »

When you see it listed like this and the amounts refused entry I can't help but feel why not let them in, especially the large amounts in '08 '10. If they can afford to produce a car and get moderately skilled drivers then why not? It's their money they're wasting if they never qualify. It's the modern day closed shop that grates personally. Haas have shown that you can enter and make an impact so why not? Damn you Bernie and your money grabbing power crazy ways.
gnrpoison

Post by gnrpoison »

It does annoy me that they have 'windows' where you can apply. Just have them open all the time and if an entrant is within 107% time and the grid is less then 26 entrants, they qualify. If not on a regular basis they are probably going to fold anyway. Just be nice to do away with 107% time because we would have more entrants then grid slots and the slowest would not qualify. Plus we would not be in a situation where talented drivers would not be at risk of not being able to race in f1 because teams would need drivers.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

The problem is the larger teams complaining about lapping backmarkers and those backmarkers bringing the sport into disrepute. Both of which are total rubbish as backmarkers these days are far more compliant than the likes of Arnoux and Grouillard and those backmarkers still get virtually no TV coverage (to the extent that I was forgetting about Manor's existence towards the end of last season).
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

watka wrote:The problem is the larger teams complaining about lapping backmarkers and those backmarkers bringing the sport into disrepute. Both of which are total rubbish as backmarkers these days are far more compliant than the likes of Arnoux and Grouillard and those backmarkers still get virtually no TV coverage (to the extent that I was forgetting about Manor's existence towards the end of last season).

It didn't help that Bernie had issues with giving TV coverage time with backmarkers. I also remember that, at some point early in the season, he had requested directors to cut away whenever Manor was about to come into the image. And did they complied! They even cut away from the lead whenever they were about to lap them!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

8W has a nice piece on the mid-90's Dome project. Failed due to lack of sponsor support in Japan and because Dome couldn't believe how quickly parts wore out at the F1 level. Their only comparable times at Suzuka were several seconds off of the DNQ pace that year too.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

I am pretty sure BMW wanted to enter in F1 during the 1990s.

There was also Dywa, which attempted to enter several times through 1974 to 1983.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Normal32 wrote:I am pretty sure BMW wanted to enter in F1 during the 1990s.

There was also Dywa, which attempted to enter several times through 1974 to 1983.

Yup, that BMW became the Andrea Moda became the Bravo became the Simtek. (more or less)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Wallio wrote:8W has a nice piece on the mid-90's Dome project. Failed due to lack of sponsor support in Japan and because Dome couldn't believe how quickly parts wore out at the F1 level. Their only comparable times at Suzuka were several seconds off of the DNQ pace that year too.

Could have made several races unlike a certain "credit card" team.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

Hmm...wasn't Scorpion Racing a failed attempt of purchasing the HRT Formula 1 Team?
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

ChequeredFlagNope wrote:Hmm...wasn't Scorpion Racing a failed attempt of purchasing the HRT Formula 1 Team?

I do rememebr them, there as hardly any articles about them though.
Forza Rossa is in the same boat: Ex-HRT Manager Colin Kolles tried to buy Caterham in 2015, but that never got beyond talk either...
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:I do rememebr them, there as hardly any articles about them though.
Forza Rossa is in the same boat: Ex-HRT Manager Colin Kolles tried to buy Caterham in 2015, but that never got beyond talks either...

I'm sure that I have seen a few articles online saying that "Forza Rossa Racing" was one of the two teams accepted for 2015-16, the other being the Haas F1 Team, IDK what the hell happened to them?

Maybe like you said they was planning on purchasing the Caterham F1 Team so they could merge the two but that never happened due to no talks being held or maybe their was we just don't know.
Last edited by The Chicane on 26 Aug 2018, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

ChequeredFlagNope wrote:
CaptainGetz12 wrote:I do rememebr them, there as hardly any articles about them though.
Forza Rossa is in the same boat: Ex-HRT Manager Colin Kolles tried to buy Caterham in 2015, but that never got beyond talk either...

I'm sure that I have seen a few articles online saying that "Forza Rossa Racing" was one of the two teams accepted for 2015-16, the other being the Haas F1 Team, IDK what the hell happened to them?

Maybe like you said they was planning on purchasing the Caterham F1 Team so they could merge the two but that never happened due to no talks being held or maybe their was we just don't know.

Forza Rossa was an entry to be led by Colin Kolles, and it had former Romanian health secretary Ion Bazac drumming up government support as well as the largest Ferrari importer in Romania. When Kolles got involved with Caterham, at the time I suspected that he was performing the mother of all asset strips to transfer everything worthwhile to Forza Rossa. They never formally received an entry from the FIA, so it would make sense for them to have transferred Caterham's entry over.

However, the team never came to light largely due to a crackdown on corruption in the Romanian government, and a lot of officials got put in prison. Hence, the government couldn't support the team and it just fizzled out like a Berocca.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...