Classic GP on the BBC

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Scrap Thistlethwayte
Site Donor
Site Donor

Classic GP on the BBC

Post by Scrap Thistlethwayte »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... d-2-monaco

Incredible to see how much has changed especially in the marshalling.
Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines. - Enzo Ferrari
Barbazza

Re: Classic GP on the BBC

Post by Barbazza »

It's a shame that they're throwing these out without any warning. When was the first one on?

I'm particularly excited by the fact that they're using a picture of Andrea De Cesaris in a Dallara to advertise it (while simultaneously aware that the idiots that pass for BBC Sport staff these days almost certainly think that they've sourced a picture of a Ferrari)
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Jonathan Palmer really never knew what he was talking about did he?

"This will be about a minute and a half pitstop here from the Sauber team, replacing that nose" - Frentzen's pistop actually takes 14.8 seconds.

:facepalm:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Has he done any commentary at all since 1996? I certainly don't recall any. It's a shame Murray's tenure at the BBC was brought to a close in a partnership with Palmer after such a good relationship with Hunt. Anything would have struggled to match it but jesus did they not approach Warwick or try and lure Watson over from Eurosport? Poor old Jonathan must have been bottom of the list!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AndreaModa wrote:Has he done any commentary at all since 1996? I certainly don't recall any.

I've heard him do it once since. Vue Cinemas did an experiment years ago (2007 I think), they broadcast the British GP live at a bunch of their cinemas. I had been dragged along on holiday to Yorkshire by my family, and without a TV to hand, nipped across to Leeds to see the race.

I was disappointed to find out they had gone down their own route for commentary instead of borrowing better commentary from elsewhere. Jonathan Palmer was one half of the line-up. I can't remember who the other bloke was. But anyway, he was still utterly hopeless. Even more so than in the nineties, most likely thanks to having spent so much time away from the booth.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

But without Jonathan Palmer in the commentary box, we'd never have had that "he's there because of his money" comment that was immortalised in the podcasts...

I had him down as odds-on to move into the commentary box while the black armbands were still on for James Hunt, because he was the pitlane reporter at the time and it seemed like the logical choice. I seem to remember his pitlane job was taken by Tony Jardine...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I thoroughly enjoyed the program especially how interested we all were with DC using MSCs helmet in 1996. The way the footage looked through those old cameras are a million miles from what we have today but they were certainly evocative, memorable and vivid.
Just For One Day...
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

CoopsII wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed the program especially how interested we all were with DC using MSCs helmet in 1996. The way the footage looked through those old cameras are a million miles from what we have today but they were certainly evocative, memorable and vivid.

Funny to think if that happened these days, it wouldn't be allowed "David you cannot use Michael's helmet as it constitutes a change in your helmet design"...,.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

AndreaModa wrote:Has he done any commentary at all since 1996? I certainly don't recall any. It's a shame Murray's tenure at the BBC was brought to a close in a partnership with Palmer after such a good relationship with Hunt. Anything would have struggled to match it but jesus did they not approach Warwick or try and lure Watson over from Eurosport? Poor old Jonathan must have been bottom of the list!

Not exactly a TV commentary, but I went to a club meeting at Donington Park in 2001 and he commentated over the PA on one of his own Formula Palmer Audi (or whatever it was called) races. He was actually pretty good at that!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Barbazza wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:Has he done any commentary at all since 1996? I certainly don't recall any. It's a shame Murray's tenure at the BBC was brought to a close in a partnership with Palmer after such a good relationship with Hunt. Anything would have struggled to match it but jesus did they not approach Warwick or try and lure Watson over from Eurosport? Poor old Jonathan must have been bottom of the list!

Not exactly a TV commentary, but I went to a club meeting at Donington Park in 2001 and he commentated over the PA on one of his own Formula Palmer Audi (or whatever it was called) races. He was actually pretty good at that!

Kinda like the vicar doing the same at a church fete or something....
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Hearing Palmer now, it feels like he was always just a stopgap between Hunt's death and Brundle stopping racing so he could commentate. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

James1978 wrote:Hearing Palmer now, it feels like he was always just a stopgap between Hunt's death and Brundle stopping racing so he could commentate. :)

Topically, I remember Palmer twenty years ago declaring that now Alesi had got his first win in the bag, now he knew what it took to win, it was the beginning of the winning phase of his career.

He kind of got that wrong but his heart was in the right place.
Just For One Day...
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Great to see all those virtually forgotten names, drivers and cars in the '96 race. And the Brabham (I think) with Patrese at the wheel without a front wing.