Luciano Burti Article

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
TomPryce

Luciano Burti Article

Post by TomPryce »

A lovely piece as Burti is reunited with his career-ending helmet...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28334565
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Barbazza

Re: Luciano Burti Article

Post by Barbazza »

Yes, in amongst all the dross (including ANOTHER bloody piece on Susie Wolff) on the BBC F1 website, this was a nice surprise.

I always recall the other accident better, but I did see the Spa one again fairly recently and it is shockingly brutal. I'm convinced that Irvine was to blame (brake testing even?) but then I have a very low opinion of the man anyway.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Agree, it was rare piece of decent journalism on the part of BBC F1. Normally I don't bother with their regular dross but this was a welcome change. The picture of Burti's helmet as well! That thing was finished!

http://instagram.com/p/qhtHfdwlPN/
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Really happy to see a quality article up on BBC, the first one since speaking to David Brabham about Roland Ratzenberger.

I remember watching the Burti incident and I was the most worried I've ever been watching an F1 race, I thought he might have died. Fortunately, he was OK but we never got to see how quick he could be.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

The terrifying accident in question. The reaction from the epic commentator Jacques Schulz says it all.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Barbazza wrote:Yes, in amongst all the dross (including ANOTHER bloody piece on Susie Wolff) on the BBC F1 website, this was a nice surprise.

I always recall the other accident better, but I did see the Spa one again fairly recently and it is shockingly brutal. I'm convinced that Irvine was to blame (brake testing even?) but then I have a very low opinion of the man anyway.

Me too. After watching a bunch of late-90s/early-2000s seasons reviews as bedtime background noise, I cannot for the life of me figure out why he stayed in F1 so long. He's a bathplugging idiot.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Wallio wrote:
Barbazza wrote:Yes, in amongst all the dross (including ANOTHER bloody piece on Susie Wolff) on the BBC F1 website, this was a nice surprise.

Me too. After watching a bunch of late-90s/early-2000s seasons reviews as bedtime background noise, I cannot for the life of me figure out why he stayed in F1 so long. He's a bathplugging idiot.

Ummmm yeah... hard to explain that one but..... apparently stuff happened he did a thing and some folk were over a barrel.... according to someone I know but I don't believe this person.... it's an enigma
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wallio wrote:Me too. After watching a bunch of late-90s/early-2000s seasons reviews as bedtime background noise, I cannot for the life of me figure out why he stayed in F1 so long. He's a bathplugging idiot.

By sheer coincidence, us in the chat came across a part of the answer to that question today. It turns out that Irvine wasn't supposed to drive for Ferrari at all in 1996 - in late September 1995, Jordan confirmed that Irvine would, along with Barrichello, drive for the team for 1996 and 1997. Ferrari, meanwhile, were looking to get David Coulthard to partner Michael Schumacher, though he had already signed for McLaren at that stage and wasn't interested in driving for McLaren, at which stage it looked like they'd have to settle for Nicola Larini. Enter stage left Bernie Ecclestone, who was temporarily managing Irvine at the time after Irvine's original manager suffered a stroke. Originally, Bernie looked to satisfy Ferrari's first choice by getting Prost back in McLaren, forcing Coulthard out and into Ferrari, but Prost then announced he didn't want to make another return to F1. With Coulthard now clearly not an option for Ferrari, Bernie, ever the opportunist, talked them into paying Irvine's $5 million contract cancellation fee, and thus we get a stooge in a Ferrari, with options lasting up to 1998. Why they bothered to keep him for 3 more years is another question entirely.

After that, well, he was a title contender in 1999, so he had some actual credibility, leading him to con Jaguar into making him the 3rd highest paid person in the entirety of Ford. Which isn't surprising given that Jaguar had a level of mismanagement only outdone by Andrea Moda.

TL;DR: Blame Bernie. :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Wow. And previously on here it was said that Ferrari hired Irvine because he couldn't speak Italian in the press. I guess the same applied for Coulthard.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

good_Ralf wrote:Wow. And previously on here it was said that Ferrari hired Irvine because he couldn't speak Italian in the press. I guess the same applied for Coulthard.

I think it did apply for D.C as well.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Salamander wrote:
Wallio wrote:Me too. After watching a bunch of late-90s/early-2000s seasons reviews as bedtime background noise, I cannot for the life of me figure out why he stayed in F1 so long. He's a bathplugging idiot.

By sheer coincidence, us in the chat came across a part of the answer to that question today. It turns out that Irvine wasn't supposed to drive for Ferrari at all in 1996 - in late September 1995, Jordan confirmed that Irvine would, along with Barrichello, drive for the team for 1996 and 1997. Ferrari, meanwhile, were looking to get David Coulthard to partner Michael Schumacher, though he had already signed for McLaren at that stage and wasn't interested in driving for McLaren, at which stage it looked like they'd have to settle for Nicola Larini. Enter stage left Bernie Ecclestone, who was temporarily managing Irvine at the time after Irvine's original manager suffered a stroke. Originally, Bernie looked to satisfy Ferrari's first choice by getting Prost back in McLaren, forcing Coulthard out and into Ferrari, but Prost then announced he didn't want to make another return to F1. With Coulthard now clearly not an option for Ferrari, Bernie, ever the opportunist, talked them into paying Irvine's $5 million contract cancellation fee, and thus we get a stooge in a Ferrari, with options lasting up to 1998. Why they bothered to keep him for 3 more years is another question entirely.

After that, well, he was a title contender in 1999, so he had some actual credibility, leading him to con Jaguar into making him the 3rd highest paid person in the entirety of Ford. Which isn't surprising given that Jaguar had a level of mismanagement only outdone by Andrea Moda.

That is so epically rejectful. If it was in a novel I wouldn't believe it. But it explains SO much. :P

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Salamander wrote:

I can well believe Bernie pulling the strings behind the scenes, as I recall reading in a UK magazine at the time that Bernie was trying to get JV to move to Ferrari with the no. 27 (made famous by Gilles of course) to increase viewing figures. I also remember how much a shock it was at Nurburgring 1995 when Irvine was announced at Ferrari.

Glad other people feel Irvine wasn't all that in an F1 car. To try and answer the question of why Ferrari bothered to keep him for 3 more years. I'm guessing because Irvine wasn't fast enough to worry Schumi regularly. And when he occasionally did so in early 1999 they looked to replace him. But also Irvine could unsettle Ferrari opponents with his comments & actions. Like at FP3 in Jerez 1997 when Irvine purposely blocked JV to rattle him.

Finally Irvine came across to me at least as not really caring if he was successfully in F1 or not. So Ferrari could use and abuse him in this respect. Instead it was more important to him to earn loads of money. I mean he gave up his first win at Suzuka 1997 happily. Look how angry Barrichello & Massa were when they were in similar positions. And Ferrari never let him do any testing in the first 6 months of 1996. Yet Irvine stayed with the team for 3 years!
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

One thing I do remember Irvine doing well is being a rear gunner or bait for Schumacher. Ferrari would regularly tailor Irvine's strategy to fool Williams/McLaren (I remember a Japanese Grand Prix where he was released to build up a big lead in the GP to tempt McLaren to chase after him and ruin the tyres) and he was a very aggressive blocker!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Salamander wrote:Originally, Bernie looked to satisfy Ferrari's first choice by getting Prost back in McLaren, forcing Coulthard out and into Ferrari, but Prost then announced he didn't want to make another return to F1.

So Bernie Ecclestone tried to get McLaren to take Alain Prost, who would've been 41 at the start of the season? After the Mansell disaster, that seems like a catastrophic idea.

Back to Burti, and it's really surprising that the helmet was found recently, I'd thought teams or drivers get them back quickly. Also that was one of the worst accidents in recent times, seeing how far the car was buried in the barrier.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

andrew2209 wrote:
Salamander wrote:Originally, Bernie looked to satisfy Ferrari's first choice by getting Prost back in McLaren, forcing Coulthard out and into Ferrari, but Prost then announced he didn't want to make another return to F1.

So Bernie Ecclestone tried to get McLaren to take Alain Prost, who would've been 41 at the start of the season? After the Mansell disaster, that seems like a catastrophic idea.

Fair, but didn't Prost test that winter, and do rather well (compared to DC/Mika)?

WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Wallio wrote:
andrew2209 wrote:

Fair, but didn't Prost test that winter, and do rather well (compared to DC/Mika)?

Prost was testing during the winter(95/96) as Mika was still recovering from the Adelaide accident