Zoran Stefanovic interview

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Gvozdenovic

Zoran Stefanovic interview

Post by Gvozdenovic »

This is an interesting piece, interview with head of Stefan GP project, here's the link if you speak Serbo-Croatian ( and anyway there are some interesting reject pictures in it ), but i will translate most interesting parts. I can't really judge how much of this is true, generally, reject team bosses often are not most credible guys on earth, especially when talking to home press, but then again, who knows.

http://www.b92.net/sport/intervjui/inte ... _id=427900

Possibility of Stefan Gp entrance in F1 was mentioned as early as 1996?

Actually, story goes futher back in the past. In 1987 i had talks with Bernie to host a Yugoslav Grand Prix ( in Grobnik circuit, that hosted Yugoslav Moto GP from 78 to 90). But it was soon evident that political situation was turbulent and these plans folded. ( soon war erupted, in 1991, and Yugoslavia fell apart, but it was a sudden one, and in 1987 maybe top five people in the world, like Pope and stuff knew that will happen, so this is a major bulls**t as Hunt would said :) )

So, after that, we decided to form a team. This was joint Serbian - Brittish project. We made a core for organization and started looking for drivers. I've noticed one young Brittish driver in formula 3 and arranged a meeting with him, in 1988. We sat in office in London, and he asked me, why do i believe that he's a f1 caliber. I said to him : "I watched you in Brands Hatch, in Silverstone. In Truxton you were the only one completely focused before the start." There were some other drivers around that day, like Martin Donelly, but i thought this kid was better than all of them, man on a mission, completely focused, and i saw that. His name was Damon Hill.

But, that attempt was futile too, and i waited until 1996 to have another shot. This time, intention was to create team based in England, that would race under Brittish flag. We secured more than enough money when our main sponsor, who held 2/3 of budget withdrew. That time i also found one quick young driver in Brittish formula 3. He was very quick, but had problems with spining outs and stuff like that, he was chasing too much. But he had talent. I called him, he came to meeting with his mom and dad, in a beaten Ford Fiesta. Unfortunately, we were left without funds, and they were from a country that couldn't back up drivers at the time so this project folded too. This kid name was Huan Pablo Montoya. ( he's really speaking in this tense, cliffhanger manner in interview too :D )

Then he mentiones possible Lola purchase, but rejects that he had intentions of involving in that story.

Let's talk about modern Stefan GP efforts to enter F1

This is really long part, i will translate most interesting.

After we filed a suit to European Anti Monopol commision, i called Bernie and said : " Look, we did sue, but let's find some reasonable solution for all sides." Bernie said : " Nevermind that, you guys just organize, i think you should be in."

Kazuki was my very, very dear choice. He is massively underrated driver. While he was in Williams, every piece of new material first got into Rosberg hands and later in Kazuki's. Kazuki prepared car for Nico. Nico is a good driver, but Kazuki proved to be better when it comes to building and setting up car.

Biggest opponent of our entry in F1 was Williams, altough i'm good friends with Frank. Frank said, "it's business"

I hosted Adrian Campos in Belgrade. He asked 40 million dolars for Campos application and package. I laughed. He came three more times, price was droping but not enough to be reasonable to pay. People from USF1 persisted on maintaining false picture that they can pull it on their own and did not wanted to agree to a reasonable merger.

I had long talks with Ralph Schumacher and general agreement with Villeneuve. Also in frame was Klien. I also had plans for Karthikeyan and Chandhok. I have extremely positive opinion about Karthikeyan. He's a very good driver, but massively underrated and i believe it is mainly on racial basis.
midgrid

Re: Zoran Stefanovic interview

Post by midgrid »

That's extremely interesting; thank you for the translation! What's he up to these days? Does he still want to enter F1 or has he given up?
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Gvozdenovic

Post by Gvozdenovic »

Well, he's very obscure guy in general public here. I never heard of him before the Stefan GP story. It's quite possible that what's left unsaid is, that he didn't had enough support from our government, which is absolutely rational, if that's the case, we are way too poor country to finance a reject hall of shame in the making. :) I often wondered how bad Stefan GP would actually be though. There is a chance that they would be near Caterham level, but maybe that is too optimistic.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Gvozdenovic wrote:I often wondered how bad Stefan GP would actually be though. There is a chance that they would be near Caterham level, but maybe that is too optimistic.

I reckon nearer USF1 levels! Oh wait, that's IS where he is! ;)

But he is ahead of Don Pentecost - at least he had some F1 cars. Actually, that puts him ahead of USF1. Difference being that USF1 had an official FIA entry, Zoran has never had one.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
Gvozdenovic wrote:I often wondered how bad Stefan GP would actually be though. There is a chance that they would be near Caterham level, but maybe that is too optimistic.

But he is ahead of Don Pentecost - at least he had some F1 cars. Actually, that puts him ahead of USF1. Difference being that USF1 had an official FIA entry, Zoran has never had one.

I am fairly sure that, although Zoran claimed to have done a deal with Toyota to use an updated TF110, that Toyota denied that any such deal existed and that they had only sold Zoran a few pieces of equipment. After all, Zoran did claim that he had sent equipment and parts to Bahrain for the opening round in 2010 but, IIRC, the customs authorities never recorded any such shipments of goods coming through border control.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

I am fairly sure that, although Zoran claimed to have done a deal with Toyota to use an updated TF110, that Toyota denied that any such deal existed and that they had only sold Zoran a few pieces of equipment. After all, Zoran did claim that he had sent equipment and parts to Bahrain for the opening round in 2010 but, IIRC, the customs authorities never recorded any such shipments of goods coming through border control.

I didn't say he had any Toyota TF110s, mario! I was alluding to the fact that he has/had at one point some Lola T97/30s!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

The part about them considering entry around 1996 is interesting.

Just think if they waited a year and entered in 1997. Imagine Stefan GP vs MasterCard Lola, how great would that be?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

FullMetalJack wrote:The part about them considering entry around 1996 is interesting.

Just think if they waited a year and entered in 1997. Imagine Stefan GP vs MasterCard Lola, how great would that be?

*shameless plug*
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Ataxia wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:The part about them considering entry around 1996 is interesting.

*shameless plug*

Shows that I don't visit the PMMF enough.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Gvozdenovic wrote: I have extremely positive opinion about Karthikeyan. He's a very good driver, but massively underrated and i believe it is mainly on racial basis.

So basically, he's saying HRT were a bunch of racists?
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

He sounds mental. "Only the Pope knew that Yugoslavia was going to fall apart." "I saw a driver in Formula 3 and talked to him. That driver grew up to be...Damon Hill/Juan Pablo Montoya/Sebastian Vettel/Ayrton Senna/The Second Coming of Christ Himself".
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

I think Zoran is lying about the Lola rumours.

He bought the lola's almost in May 97 , i saw documents that confirmed he would upgrade these cars to the 1998 specs.
And drive with them , if im correct Rosset was named as one of the drivers, engine was the Ex Tyrrell V10 and the tyres would come from Goodyear.

And the First time Zoran's name was in the F1 was in 1984 or 1983 , RAM and Fittipaldi.
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1