Barilla pasta in the wars

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Barilla pasta in the wars

Post by eytl »

Our legendary 1990 Minardi driver's company facing backlash for comments made by Paolo's brother Guido:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/19144943/pasta-maker-fights-boycott-call-over-anti-gay-remarks/

(I should add, I would prefer for this thread to be kept to the topic of Barilla Pasta's advertising, and not to go down the path of discussing the rights/wrongs of gay families, gay marriage etc.)
DOSBoot

Re: Barilla pasta in the wars

Post by DOSBoot »

eytl wrote:(I should add, I would prefer for this thread to be kept to the topic of Barilla Pasta's advertising, and not to go down the path of discussing the rights/wrongs of gay families, gay marriage etc.)

I have a feeling that it's pretty much inevitable now that you posted it. :?
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

eytl wrote:Our legendary 1990 Minardi driver's company facing backlash for comments made by Paolo's brother Guido:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/19144943/pasta-maker-fights-boycott-call-over-anti-gay-remarks/

(I should add, I would prefer for this thread to be kept to the topic of Barilla Pasta's advertising, and not to go down the path of discussing the rights/wrongs of gay families, gay marriage etc.)

What will that do for their future you think?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Does anybody here already buy Barilla pasta? If so , why you stop buying the stuff? If not, are you any more likely to buy it (maybe now that you know it exists and has a link to an F1 Reject!)?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

dr-baker wrote:Does anybody here already buy Barilla pasta? If so , why you stop buying the stuff? If not, are you any more likely to buy it (maybe now that you know it exists and has a link to an F1 Reject!)?

I may have look for that when I'm next in my local town center
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

roblomas52 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Does anybody here already buy Barilla pasta? If so , why you stop buying the stuff? If not, are you any more likely to buy it (maybe now that you know it exists and has a link to an F1 Reject!)?

You're from Basingstoke and therefore English/British. You spell centre with an '-re', not an '-er'. ;) :P
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Yes, i tried it, it's actually one of the better pasta's available in our country :D But also one of the more expensive ones.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:

Yes, i tried it, it's actually one of the better pasta's available in our country :D But also one of the more expensive ones.

In terms of quality of product, I often believe you get what you pay for. Although sadly, that isn't always affordable.
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

dr-baker wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

You're from Basingstoke and therefore English/British. You spell centre with an '-re', not an '-er'. ;) :P

I blame the predictive text in my iPod :oops:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

dr-baker wrote:
This wrote:

In terms of quality of product, I often believe you get what you pay for. Although sadly, that isn't always affordable.

That is usually true, but it's hard to tell somebody ''hey, please buy that more expensive pasta because an unsuccesful formula one driver nobody has ever heared about is related to that company, but you wouldn't taste a notable difference in the pasta'. Altough i often notice very subtle differences in different kinds of food, pastas is not one of these.

eytl wrote:Our legendary 1990 Minardi driver's company facing backlash for comments made by Paolo's brother Guido:

So you post a link, and prefer not to discuss it? I think we got a spammer on the forum! :lol:
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

I've had their pasta several times over the years, and have enjoyed it. I will still continue to enjoy it. Not intending to get on a touchy subject. But there was a similar thing with Chick-fi-A a while back, someone who just stating their opinion in non-offensive way, and the opposing side goes ape s**t over it. Naturally, there was protest. But there was a counter protest as well. Which shows that there are people out there that realize that opinions are just opinions. I fear that political correctness is getting way out of hand. It seems that if you disagree with something, you get crucified for it. Even if what you meant wasn't necessarily what some people though. My belief is everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But when people who disagrees with the opinion, to the point where they assume that the one who made their statement are an evil force to be reckoned with, just because they said what they said. Well, that's just plain wrong in my opinion.

In short, the ones who claimed that the statement was prejudice, end up looking more prejudiced than the one they complained to.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This wrote:

I wouldn't know if it's the best available (I think Soubry's pretty damn good as well), but it's the one we eat all the time, and that's not likely to stop. I don't think that scandal's even made it here :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

DOSBoot wrote:I've had their pasta several times over the years, and have enjoyed it. I will still continue to enjoy it. Not intending to get on a touchy subject. But there was a similar thing with Chick-fi-A a while back, someone who just stating their opinion in non-offensive way, and the opposing side goes ape s**t over it. Naturally, there was protest. But there was a counter protest as well. Which shows that there are people out there that realize that opinions are just opinions. I fear that political correctness is getting way out of hand. It seems that if you disagree with something, you get crucified for it. Even if what you meant wasn't necessarily what some people though. My belief is everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But when people who disagrees with the opinion, to the point where they assume that the one who made their statement are an evil force to be reckoned with, just because they said what they said. Well, that's just plain wrong in my opinion.

In short, the ones who claimed that the statement was prejudice, end up looking more prejudiced than the one they complained to.

I remember hearing about that. And, to be frank, I really do not get the idea of bringing your own prejudices into business. Regardless of any moral standpoint, it's simply bad business to openly criticise people who may otherwise have been happy to purchase from you. And as for the rest of what you said, well, I'll just say I totally disagree with you and leave it at that.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I did originally start buying it due to the F1 connection, because I do shite like that :P.

But honestly, regardless of how you feel about the topic at hand, its his company, and Guido can say whatever he wants. If he said "I won't sell to people who own orange shirts" or "people with red hair" or whatever, hey that's his deal. Probably not smart business, but he still can say it.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

Wallio wrote:I did originally start buying it due to the F1 connection, because I do shite like that :P.

But honestly, regardless of how you feel about the topic at hand, its his company, and Guido can say whatever he wants. If he said "I won't sell to people who own orange shirts" or "people with red hair" or whatever, hey that's his deal. Probably not smart business, but he still can say it.

Yes, he can say what he wants. And people can say what they want about what he says, about him based on what he says, and alter their purchasing patterns based on what he says. ;)
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Ben Gilbert wrote:
Wallio wrote:I did originally start buying it due to the F1 connection, because I do shite like that :P.

Yes, he can say what he wants. And people can say what they want about what he says, about him based on what he says, and alter their purchasing patterns based on what he says. ;)

Certainly. And I think people will do just that. As I said, whether or not you agree with him (I personally am apathetic as it affects me none) it is stupid for business. Unless of course you organize a rally like the Chik-Fil-A did, and honestly even that didn't help all that much.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell