Letters from Pacific, Simtek and others from '94/95

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
dr-baker

Re: Letters from Pacific, Simtek and others from '94/95

Post by dr-baker »

Myrvold wrote:
David AGS wrote:but at that time was above my spending budget.

I cannot recall price, but would love to have that right now! :( :(

Took a trip to Nice and Monaco this year. Found an two somewhat hidden motorsport shops there. The one in Nice had lot's of Blancpain stuff, the one in Monaco however. That one had lot's of stuff from many teams. Found quite a lot of 97/98 Jordan crew shirts with the original names on them (would've been weird to go around with "William" on me...). However, I found one hidden gem there, quite literally hidden as well. A LOLA BMS Scuderia Italia crew shirt from 1993! I think it was 120 EUR for it. Steep price, but I wouldn't have any problems buying it, but it was XL-size. I decided that even though it would be crazy rare nowadays, I would also liked to actually use it sometimes... So 120 for something 2-3 sizes to big. No thanks.

Sorta regret it, sorta don't. The Blancpain Lamborghini Shirts however was surprisingly classy, and without the Lambo-logo I'm sure it could've passed as 'smart-casual' dress code.

Next time I'm down that way, I would love to check those shops out. Can you remember the names and possible addresses of those places?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Leyton House

Post by Leyton House »

tumbano wrote:
mario wrote:Just as an aside, did you ever join the supporters club that Pacific wanted to set up?

Unfortunately I didn't, I joined the Jordan club instead.
Btw, I wrote them again in 1995 and they had the club up. Too bad I didn't take that unique occasion :(

Notice you only get to race the mechanics in karts. It would be kind of embarrassing if you beat the drivers wouldn't it?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Leyton House wrote:
tumbano wrote:
mario wrote:Just as an aside, did you ever join the supporters club that Pacific wanted to set up?

Unfortunately I didn't, I joined the Jordan club instead.
Btw, I wrote them again in 1995 and they had the club up. Too bad I didn't take that unique occasion :(

Notice you only get to race the mechanics in karts. It would be kind of embarrassing if you beat the drivers wouldn't it?

Yeah, I would have fancied my chances against Jean-Denis Deletraz. Even as a 6 year old.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Pepsibottle1

Post by Pepsibottle1 »

World championship by 2000. Seems legit.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Pepsibottle1 wrote:World championship by 2000. Seems legit.

And it's so legit that really happened...

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
Pepsibottle1 wrote:World championship by 2000. Seems legit.

And it's so legit that really happened...

F1 hasn't really been the same since Ferrari went bankrupt at the end of 1995. Schumacher signing for Pacific for '96 could have been the most rejectful decision for a champion since Phil Hill left Ferrari, but I'm sure we all know the story of what happened next...
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I like this Mansell and Pacific stuff better than the alternate F1 history RWRS uses.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just a shame Simtek did not last to see the year 2000 and have the success Pacific had. After their troubled start, and their beautiful livery, I always preferred Simtek to Pacific...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AdrianBelmonte_

dr-baker wrote:Just a shame Simtek did not last to see the year 2000 and have the success Pacific had. After their troubled start, and their beautiful livery, I always preferred Simtek to Pacific...

Simtek fusionated with Forti in '97 to create Fortek, they fought for the championship in '99, but they ran out of money and Ford bought the team and then, they turned into Jaguar ;)
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Bobby Doorknobs

Fusionated. I like that word. I want to use it more often. :)
#FreeGonzo
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Simtek wrote:Fusionated. I like that word. I want to use it more often. :)

Because it sounds cooler that "amalgamated", might I add :P
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
AdrianBelmonte_

"Location: Spain"

'Nuff said
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:

'Nuff said

Is this a return to Phoenglish?
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
AdrianBelmonte_

WaffleCat wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:

'Nuff said

Is this a return to Phoenglish?

It's even worse, it's a new low, something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaLDoWqIq2M
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

dr-baker wrote:Next time I'm down that way, I would love to check those shops out. Can you remember the names and possible addresses of those places?

Boutique Formule 1
15 Rue Grimaldi
98000 Monaco

(thanks to google maps, and streetview, I walked the streets again :) )

While the shop in Nice might be close to
21 Rue Massena
06000 Nice
Frankrike
It didn't look anything like it on google maps - streetview, but the picture was taken in February 2011, it might've changed a bit since then.'

I can guarantee you that the Monaco address is correct, the Nice address I cannot guarantee anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Myrvold wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Next time I'm down that way, I would love to check those shops out. Can you remember the names and possible addresses of those places?

Boutique Formule 1
15 Rue Grimaldi
98000 Monaco

21 Rue Massena
06000 Nice
Frankrike
It didn't look anything like it on google maps - streetview, but the picture was taken in February 2011, it might've changed a bit since then.'

I can guarantee you that the Monaco address is correct, the Nice address I cannot guarantee anything.

Brilliant, thank you! I have no idea if and when I will next be that way, but when I am, I have something on the list to do!
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

dr-baker wrote:
Myrvold wrote:

Boutique Formule 1
15 Rue Grimaldi
98000 Monaco

21 Rue Massena
06000 Nice
Frankrike

Brilliant, thank you! I have no idea if and when I will next be that way, but when I am, I have something on the list to do!

In a similar vein, I found an interesting F1 memorabilia shop in Montréal. Can't remember the name, but from Google Maps, it's 28, Rue Saint-Paul. I found quite a bit of reject goodness, and I even bought actual photos of Andrea Montermini and Taki Inoue :)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

There used to be an F1 memorabilia store in Basildon, Essex at around the turn of the century, but it only survived a few years before disappearing again. Still, there are a couple of decent shops at Brands Hatch, selling books, t-shirts, jackets and model cars.
MCard LOLA
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Not only that - was that Deletraz or Inoue who won in Germany starting from 17th? Pacific was really amazing...
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Bobby Doorknobs

Reject_Dom wrote:Not only that - was that Deletraz or Inoue who won in Germany starting from 17th? Pacific was really amazing...

Ah! That was Taki's long overdue first win! A truly superb wet-weather drive. Although who knows what Délétraz could have achieved had he not been taken out at the first corner? Or even Schumi had the team not fired him for what happened at Jerez 3 years earlier?
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Simtek wrote:
Reject_Dom wrote:Not only that - was that Deletraz or Inoue who won in Germany starting from 17th? Pacific was really amazing...

Ah! That was Taki's long overdue first win! A truly superb wet-weather drive. Although who knows what Délétraz could have achieved had he not been taken out at the first corner? Or even Schumi had the team not fired him for what happened at Jerez 3 years earlier?

He won the title with them for 2000, of course, so at least their relationship got better eventually. :)

(Try to keep this all self-consistent, it'll be funnier)
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

And each time Taki won a race, he wanted to get run over by the second-placed car.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
sarahthompson

Post by sarahthompson »

Could you somebody know the names of the staff that used to work for Simtek GP during 1994 season? I saw Humphrey Corbett in Senna movie, but there were some other lads as well. Many tkx!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

sarahthompson wrote:Could you somebody know the names of the staff that used to work for Simtek GP during 1994 season? I saw Humphrey Corbett in Senna movie, but there were some other lads as well. Many tkx!

Sorry, can't help with that enquiry at the moment, but welcome to the forum nonetheless!
MCard LOLA
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

sarahthompson wrote:Could you somebody know the names of the staff that used to work for Simtek GP during 1994 season? I saw Humphrey Corbett in Senna movie, but there were some other lads as well. Many tkx!

From my GPM2-related research, I know that Nick Wirth was the team owner and chief designer, Charlie Moody was the team principal, Humphrey Corbett was the chief engineer, Jerry Bond was the chief mechanic and Nick Underwood was the PR/commercial manager. I might find a few more names when I dig around grandprix.com's personnel database. :)
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Julien

Post by Julien »

Too bad we don't have such things in Budapest :(
But I found this beauty on eBay

for

(wait for it)

only €10.00!

It is totally unused! So unused that it still has the labels on it!
The original price is on the label, it says "400.00" but I don't know in what currency it could be.

I got it from a Portuguese guy, if my memory serves right. Poor fella had no idea what he had sold. When I told him (after the delivery), he wanted to get it back, he offered 50 Euros for it...

It's a horrible thing to wear by the way. It's bright blue, with those glowing purple strips... The material must be 110% polyester (officially it's Tactel) because it feels weird, it smells weird, it's insanely hot, your body gets no air whatsoever while you're in it, the whole jacket has the touch of a plastic bag, except the silver stripes which are for some unimaginable reason have the touch of fake velour...

Still, it may be the only official Pacific Racing team jacket left, so it's the most precious piece of my F1 collection :)