Retrospective Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
DOSBoot

Re: Retrospective Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race

Post by DOSBoot »

Now for 1994:

Brazil - Ukyo Katayama: Scores his first points finish with a solid 5th place.

Pacific - Rubens Barrachello: Gives Jordan thier first podium. As well as his.

San Marino - Nicola Larini: Substituting for Jean Alesi, he qualifies 6th, and finished 2nd. Unrejectifying himself.

Monaco - Martin Brundle: Get's that crappy McLaren into 2nd place.

Spain - Mark Blundell: Gives Tyrrell thier last podium after starting 11th, as well as his last.

Canada - JJ Lehto: Scores a point for Bennetton after starting 20th.

France - Sauber: Heinz-Harald Frentzen, and Andrea de Cesaris manage 4th, and 6th place to get the team's first double points finish.

U.K. - Mika Häkkinen: Despite a crash with Barrachello, he gets the McLaren into 3rd.

Germany - Ligier: Olivier Panis, and Eirc Bernard finish 2nd, and 3rd.

Hungary - Jos Verstappen: Unrejectified with a podium after starting 12th.

Belgium - Gianni Morbidelli: Another unrjectification. This time after starting 14th.

Italy - McLaren: For finally getting a double points finish after so much trouble.

Portugal - Rubens Barrachello: Another solid drive in the Jordan. Even manages to lead the race at one point.

Europe - Eddie Irvine: Unrejectified by finishing 4th in the Jordan after starting 10th.

Japan - Christian Fittipaldi: Works his way up ten places in torrential conditions to finish 8th.

Australia - Gerhard Berger: Started 11th. Finished a close 2nd behind Mansell.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

DOSBoot wrote:Italy - McLaren: For finally getting a double points finish after so much trouble.

No, that award simply HAS to go to Johnny Herbert for dragging that crapbox of a Lotus kicking and screaming all the way to fourth on the grid. Before promptly being taken out by that clown Eddie Irvine at the first chicane and being forced to use the spare car with the old-spec engine as a result.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

DOSBoot wrote:Anyways, here's my take for 1985:

Portugal - Ayrton Senna: Dominates the race to get his first career victory. As well as Lotus' first since 1982.

Not Stefan Bellof? Started 21st, finished 6th? Senna was on pole and it pretty much a given that he would win a race, sooner or later.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Faustus wrote:
DOSBoot wrote:Anyways, here's my take for 1985:

Portugal - Ayrton Senna: Dominates the race to get his first career victory. As well as Lotus' first since 1982.

Not Stefan Bellof? Started 21st, finished 6th? Senna was on pole and it pretty much a given that he would win a race, sooner or later.

Yeah, but for his debuet win, he poled, set fastest, and lead every lap, and finished over a minute ahead of everyone else in torrential conditions. Something that you would not expect for a first career victory. Plus, Bellof was 2 laps down, and attrition helped him quite a bit.

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Now for 1995:

Brazil - Mika Salo: Finishes just outside of the points on his first stint with Tyrrell.

Argentina - Johnny Herbert: Started 11th. Workes his way up to 4th.

San Marino - Heinz-Harald Frentzen: Scores a point for Sauber after starting 14th.

Spain - Olivier Panis: A lucky point for him after starting 15th.

Monaco - Pierluigi Martini: Comes very close to scoring a point for Minardi.

Canada - Jean Alesi: About time he won a race! Of all the times things went wrong for him, it finally went right on that day.

France - Martin Brundle: Although competing sporatically at this point, he still shows he has what it takes by finishing 4th closely behind Coulthard.

U.K. - Johnny Herbert: Debeut win on his home race. Even if luck played a part in it.

Germany - Aguri Suzuki: Last hurrah for the man from Japan by scoring his final career point, after starting 18th.

Hungary - Minardi: Luca Badoer, and Pedro Lamy do a respectable job by finishing both cars in 8th, and 9th.

Belgium - Martin Brundle: Another surpise from him. This time 3rd after starting 13th. His final podium.

Italy - Jean-Christophe Boullion: Lucky Bastard unrejectifies himself by finishing 6th in the Sauber.

Portugal - David Coulthard: Finally get's his first win in domanant style.

Europe - Rubens Barrichello: Finished 4th after starting 11th. Two places ahead of his teammate who started 5th!

Pacific - Jan Magnussen: Does surprisingly well on his one-off by dicing with Barrachello for several laps, and finishing 10th.

Japan - Mark Blundell: Started 23rd in the McLaren. But worked his way up to finish 7th close behind Mika Salo.

Australia - Olivier Panis/Gianni Morbidelli: Panis for getting the smoking Ligier into 2nd, and Morbidelli for scoring his final points with a nice 3rd.

James1978

Post by James1978 »

Can't disagree with most of that really. 1995 seemed to have a lot less "giant-killing" than most other years!!

Though other suggestions that may be forgotten about:

Argentina - Verstappen was running in the points. In a Simtek.
Hungary - Barrichello was on course for a podium (ahead of a Ferrari and a Benetton) before his car gave up on the line.
Italy - I'd say the Sauber team as a whole as Frentzen got their first-ever podium
Japan - to use the other side of the argument, Salo for actually holding off Blundell - Tyrrell were nowhere near McLaren for most of the year (and the other McLaren was on the podium). Also Alesi's drive before the car gave up.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I've being dying to do a year so I'll give 1996 a go.

Australia - a tie between Villeneuve and Irvine for outqualifying both their more experienced teammates, and indeed Irvine for his only podium of the year.

Brazil - Barrichello for getting the Jordan on the front row and battling the likes of Schumacher, Alesi and Villeneuve.

Argentina - Verstappen for qualifying 7th and scoring a point in the Arrows, and beating McLaren and almost a Ferrari.

Europe - Coulthard for an impressive podium, holding off Hill

San Marino - Mika Salo, qualifying 8th and running 4th before his engine blew up, in a Tyrrell

Monaco - Panis, nuff said

Spain - gotta be Schumi I guess

Canada - Brundle for scoring his first point of the year and being the lead Jordan driver for the first time. Or Luca Badoer for Forti outqualifying another car!

France - pass as the first few teams all finished in Noah's ark formation

Britain - Salo for beating both Saubers (beginning to struggle here now!)

Germany - Berger for almost leading from start to finish

Hungary - Lavaggi for managing to qualify (scraping the barrel here a bit......)

Belgium - McLaren, running 1 -2 when the safety car screwed their strategy

Italy - Diniz for scoring a point

Portugal - Villeneuve for the pass on Schumacher and coming back from a seemingly impossible position to keep the championship alive

Japan - Hakkinen for mixing it with Williams and Schumi for the whole race
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

1951 season, as their results showed... (again, no Indy 500)

Switzerland: Stirling Moss (fine debut finishing 8th with a HWM)

Belgium: Anyone driving a Talbot Lago (pick one between Rosier, Girard-Cabantous, Pillette or Claes)

France: Reg Parnell (scoring points with a 4th in a Ferrari)

Britain: Reg Parnell (from last to 5th in a BRM)

Germany: Jacques Swaters (hard to pick one there...)

Italy: Franco Rol (survives the race in a OSCA...)

Spain: Chico Godia-Sales (another case of not having much to choose)
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

My version of 1996:

Australia - Jacques Villeneuve: He poles, leads for several laps, and comes very close to outright victory. All in his first race.

Brazil - Pedro Diniz: Started dead last, but worked his way up to finish 8th.

Argentina - Jos Verstappen: Has a great day by qualifying 7th, and finishing 6th in the Footwork.

Europe - Jordan: Solid drive from Rubens Barachello, and Martin Brundle to finish 5th, and 6th.

San Marino - Pedro Diniz: Started 17th. Finished 7th.

Monaco - Olivier Panis: What infinite improbability drives of the races are made of.

Spain - Pedro Diniz: Continues Ligier's sweetness by staying out of trouble, and scoring a point.

Canada - David Coulthard: Nice drive from 10th to 4th, ahead of his teammate who started 6th.

France - Jacques Villeneuve: For being the only driver that was close to Hill throughout the race.

U.K. - Gerhard Berger: Gives the fledging Bennetton team a solid 2nd place.

Germany - Gerhard Berger: Once again, does a great job by leading for most of the race. Almost taking the win.

Hungary - Olivier Panis: Another nice climb up the field. This time from 11th to 5th.

Belgium - Tyrrell: Mika Salo, and Ukyo Katayama finish 7th, and 8th. With Salo running 3rd at one point.

Italy - Pedro Diniz: Finises 6th after starting 14th. Ahead of Villeneuve.

Portugal - Sauber: Midfield starters finishes 7th, and 8th.

Japan - Martin Brundle: Last career race, he starts 10th, and comes home 5th.

JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

Sorry but some of those I have to disagree with again!

Australia - Jacques Villeneuve: He poles, leads for several laps, and comes very close to outright victory. All in his first race. - Agreed

Brazil - Pedro Diniz: Started dead last, but worked his way up to finish 8th. - Surely Barrichello? No one would have expected him to be on the front row of the grid and fighting for a podium!

Argentina - Jos Verstappen: Has a great day by qualifying 7th, and finishing 6th in the Footwork. - Agreed

Europe - Jordan: Solid drive from Rubens Barachello, and Martin Brundle to finish 5th, and 6th. Eh...... You always expect the Jordans to scrape a couple of points in a race every now and then though. Personally I thought DC's performance was much more impressive, a podium was not what McLaren were even expecting!

San Marino - Pedro Diniz: Started 17th. Finished 7th. Really? He finished 7th out of effectivly 7 people! Surely Schumacher for getting the Ferrari on pole (the same car that was 1.2 seconds slower than the Williams' at the last round) and dragging the car over the finish line to get a podium (and I use the word dragging because of the Wheel-Bearing Failure he had on the last lap!)

Monaco - Olivier Panis: What infinite improbability drives of the races are made of. - Agreed.

Spain - Pedro Diniz: Continues Ligier's sweetness by staying out of trouble, and scoring a point. Again, Diniz was 6th... out of 6 finishers. Schumacher dominated the race to win by 45 seconds, whilst only running 9 cylinders. No one was expecting a Ferrari win the early in the season!

Canada - David Coulthard: Nice drive from 10th to 4th, ahead of his teammate who started 6th. - No one really stood out in that race :/ Everyone finished in an expected position. I'll agree with DC then.

France - Jacques Villeneuve: For being the only driver that was close to Hill throughout the race. - Agreed.

U.K. - Gerhard Berger: Gives the fledging Bennetton team a solid 2nd place. - I'd agree, though I think Villeneuve deserves it more, no one was expecting him to ruin the Hill party in Britain!

Germany - Gerhard Berger: Once again, does a great job by leading for most of the race. Almost taking the win. - Agreed.

Hungary - Olivier Panis: Another nice climb up the field. This time from 11th to 5th. - Agreed

Belgium - Tyrrell: Mika Salo, and Ukyo Katayama finish 7th, and 8th. With Salo running 3rd at one point. Disagree completly. Salo got up to 4th, but only because everybody else had pitted. McLaren surely for being in a 1-2 position on Merit?!

Italy - Pedro Diniz: Finises 6th after starting 14th. Ahead of Villeneuve. I think Schumacher or Alesi deserve it more, Schuy for winning infront of the Tiffosi in a not very quick car and Alesi for being the only serious contender to challenge Schuy (and lead a good half of the race) in an equally slowish car - not to mention his banzai start!

Portugal - Sauber: Midfield starters finishes 7th, and 8th. Villeneuve's pass around the outside of Schumacher at the parabolica + keeping his title hopes alive weren't worth a mention?

Japan - Martin Brundle: Last career race, he starts 10th, and comes home 5th. Surely Damon Hill? For doing exactly the opposite to what everyone feared he would do again i.e. stuff it up due to pressure. He got the lead off Villeneuve going into T1 and never looked back, lead every lap of the race and made sure he did everything right to win the title and in the best way possible too, by winning the race!

Sorry if I sound too critical, I just find some of your choices are awarding drivers/cars for finishing in a position they were expected to finish in e.g. Jordan, Tyrrell, Ligier and Sauber scraping an occasional point now and then. As you say - the award is for moments such as the Monaco race, I appreciate these moments don't happen often, but Brundle scoring a couple of points in a Jordan isn't an improbable drive, that's an expected drive! :?
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

JJMonty wrote:Sorry if I sound too critical, I just find some of your choices are awarding drivers/cars for finishing in a position they were expected to finish in e.g. Jordan, Tyrrell, Ligier and Sauber scraping an occasional point now and then. As you say - the award is for moments such as the Monaco race, I appreciate these moments don't happen often, but Brundle scoring a couple of points in a Jordan isn't an improbable drive, that's an expected drive! :?

Eh, I don't mind contructive critizim. But my opinion stands on those. It should be noted that this isn't offcial list, this is just from my perspective. I just try and look for the one that appears to be the most surprising to me. In my midset I try and give an idea of what would be my reaction from the race if I was watching for the first time at that particular moment. There are some that are very easy to pick, then there are some that were so bland, you have no choise but to pick something random. That's why I might go for ones that may not be to everyones appretiation.

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Anyways, here's my take for 1997:

Australia - Nicola Larini: Almost three years out of competition, and scores a point on his first race for Sauber.

Brazil - Olivier Panis: Gives a great surprise qualifying result, and podium for the Prost team's second race.

Argentina - Ralf Shumacher: The younger brother of the other Shumacher urejectifies himself with a 3rd place in his third race.

San Marino - Giancarlo Fisichella: Another unrejectification.

Monaco - Rubens Barrichello: In torrential conditions, he get's the Stewart into 2nd place after starting 10th.

Spain - Olivier Panis: Another surprise from Panis and Prost. This time in 2nd while catching Villeneuve.

Canada - Shinji Nakano: Continues Prost's good run by grabbing a point after starting 19th.

France - Jean Alesi: For holding off Coulthard, and Ralf to almost secure a well deserved podium.

U.K. - Damon Hill: For getting the mediocre Arrows into 6th place after starting 12th.

Germany - Jarno Trulli: Unrejectified on his third stint with Prost.

Hungary - Damon Hill: In what might have been the best drive of his career. He qualifies 3rd in the Arrows, leads most of the race, before being creuly robbed of the win with a faulty washer. But still finishes 2nd.

Belgium - Giancarlo Fisichella: Comes in a nice 2nd for Jordan.

Italy - David Coulthard: Has a great start, gets a great pitstop, and holds off Alesi to take the win.

Austria - Jordan: Both cars started midfield, but worked thier way up to finish 4th and 5th. Especially from Fisichella.

Luxembourg - Pedro Diniz: Unrejectifies himself with a 5th place in the Arrows after starting 15th.

Japan - Heinz-Harald Frentzen: For being the only driver remotely close to Shumacher near the end of the race.

Europe - Mika Hakkinen: About time he won a race!

James1978

Post by James1978 »

Agree with the vast majority of those for 97, except for:

Australia: With Herbert right up there in qualifying, maybe Larini scoring a point wasn't that unexpected but I'd more say Sauber as a whole.

Germany: Surely Berger for winning after the last 3 races away was more noteworthy than Trulli (admittedy he was good too).

Austria: Now here I would say Trulli for leading half the race!

Japan: I'd say Irvine - he'd have had his first win without having to play the team game (and slowing down at times made him lose 2nd to Frentzen IIRC).
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Now for 1998:

Australia - Johnny Herbert: Has a great day in the mediocre Sauber by qualifying 5th, and finishing 6th.

Brazil - McLaren: Just for being so domanate in the race when everyone else wasn't.

Argentina - Alexander Wurz: Finishes a consecutive 4th place, while setting fastest lap.

San Marino - Esteban Tuero: Get's an 8th place in the Minardi. His only top 10 finish.

Spain - Rubens Barrichello: Get's the Stewart into an impressive 5th place.

Monaco - Arrows: Mika Salo, and Pedro Diniz make the most out of their cars to get 4th, and 6th place. The team's last double points finish.

Canada - Stewart: In a terrible year for the team, Rubens finishes 5th, while wasted talent Jan Magnussen scores his only point in his last race.

France - Ferrari: Finally has their nuts on the right bolts for once, and get's thier first 1-2 since 1990.

U.K. - Ralf Schumacher: Grabs a point after starting 21st.

Austria - David Coulthard: Started an unusually low 14th, but worked his way up to 2nd.

Germany - Damon Hill: Finally has a good race for once by qualifying well, and finishing 4th.

Hungary - Micheal Shumacher: Made a three stop strategy, but still won the race.

Belgium - Jordan: After years of waiting, the team finally did it! With a 1-2 finish to boot.

Italy - Damon Hill: Fresh off from his victory, he qualifies 14th. But makes up ground to grab the final point.

Luxembourg - Mika Hakkinen: Manages to hold off Shumacher, and Ferrari's strategy to get a crucial win.

Japan - Damon Hill: Once again, has great race, and finishes ahead of the team that dropped him at the end of 1996.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

DOSBoot wrote:Austria - David Coulthard: Started an unusually low 14th, but worked his way up to 2nd.

He was helped to quite an extent by the entire field (apart from his team mate) driving like a complete bunch of imbeciles that July day. :lol:

Seriously, he had to make a pit-stop on the very first lap because someone clattered into him at Remus, dropped right to the back, and yet still finished half a minute ahead of the first non-McLaren driver. :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

East Londoner wrote:
DOSBoot wrote:Austria - David Coulthard: Started an unusually low 14th, but worked his way up to 2nd.

He was helped to quite an extent by the entire field (apart from his team mate) driving like a complete bunch of imbeciles that July day. :lol:

Seriously, he had to make a pit-stop on the very first lap because someone clattered into him at Remus, dropped right to the back, and yet still finished half a minute ahead of the first non-McLaren driver. :lol:

If it weren't for Mika, we would've had COULTHARDWINSLOL :lol:
TORA! TORA! TORA!
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Now for 1999:

Australia - Pedro de la Rosa: Scores a point on his very first race.

Brazil - Olivier Panis: After a bad previous year, Panis get's the Prost in 6th place after starting 12th.

San Marino - Rubens Barrachello: First podium for Stewart in almost 2 years.

Monaco - Benetton: Both cars finish in the points. The only time it happed that year.

Spain - Ralf Schumacher: Started 10th, but finished 5th in the mediocre Williams.

Canada - Giancarlo Fisichella: Oh so close to a win in the Benetton.

France - Rubens Barrachello: Gives Stewart thier only pole position, as well as another podium.

U.K. - Ralf Schumacher: Blew his teammate out of the water by finishing 3rd, after starting 8th.

Austria - Pedro Diniz: Surprisingly good pay driver scores his last career point.

Germany - Mika Salo: Could have won the race, but team orders came into play.

Hungary - Jarno Trulli: Get's up to 8th after starting 13th.

Belgium - Mika Salo: Helluva much better race than last time.

Italy - Ralf Shumacher: Finishes 2nd while challenging for the win.

Europe - Luca Badoer: Came oh so close, until his transmission failed. Depriving him of unrejectification, as well as a possible podium.

Malayasia - Michael Schumacher: His first race back from breaking his leg, and poles, leads most of the race before obeying team orders.

Japan - Jean Alesi: In a lackluster year for him, he scores a point after starting 10th.

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Now I'm going to cover the 1970s. Starting with.....well.....1970!

South Africa - Graham Hill: In his first race back from his near fatal accident the pevious year. He finishes 6th.

Spain - Mario Andretti: Unrejectified with a podium in his first points finish.

Monaco - Jochen Rindt: Amazing drive to score a last corner win in the aging Lotus 49.

Belgium - Ignazio Giunti: Unrejectified on his debut race, as a benchwarmer for Ferrari. His only points finish.

The Netherlands - John Surtees: Comes in 6th after starting 14th.

France - Dan Gurney: In his penultamate race, he scores a point after starting 17th.

U.K. - Graham Hill: Started 22nd. Finished 6th.

Germany - Emerson Fittipaldi: Unrejectified in only his second career race.

Austria - Pedro Rodríguez: Started 22nd in the BRM. Finished an amazing 4th.

Italy - Jean-Pierre Beltoise: A good 3rd place after starting 14th.

Canada - Peter Gethin: First career point for the sporatic driver.

U.S.A. - Reine Wisell: Podium on his debut.

Mexico - Denny Hulme: 3rd after starting 14th.

FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

1952 IIDOTR, again no Indy counts

Switzerland: Ken Wharton (takes a Frazer Nash to the points!)

Belgium: Charles de Tornaco (a kind of an impressive race with Ferrari)

France: Philippe Etancelin (veteran goes from rear-end to an 8th)

Britain: Dennis Poore/Eric Thompson (both takes Connaughts to their sole point finishes ever)

Germany: Roger Laurent (too bad 6th didn't gave points that year...)

Netherlands: Duncan Hamilton (for the lack of anyone who could easily claim this award)

Italy: Felice Bonetto (good race turns into a 5th place and his only points at the season)

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
inoue3210

Post by inoue3210 »

people like giancarlo baghetti / jean alesi come to mind as IIDOTR for their debuts. teams like wolf and brawn too
f1
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

For 1971:

South Africa - Reine Wisell: Started 14th. Finished 4th.

Spain - Jackie Stewart: Made the most out the Cosworth to beat the V12s which were very fast in this race.

Monaco - Ronnie Peterson: Has a great fight with Rodriguez for 4th, and finishes 2nd. Unrejectifying himself with a podium.

The Netherlands - Jacky Ickx/Pedro Rodriguez: For being the only two drivers who didn't get caught out in the rain. While putting on a great show as well.

France - Emerson Fittipaldi: Started 17th. Finished 3rd.

U.K. - Henri Pescarolo: Gives the Frank Williams March a great run with a solid 4th place.

Germany - Clay Regazzoni: For being the only driver remotely close to the Tyrrells during the race.

Austria - Tim Schenken: Gives Fittipaldi a run for his money, and finishes 3rd. Urejectification, and his only podium.

Italy - Peter Gethin: Amazing last lap win for a man that never lead a lap in his rather short career.

Canada - Mark Donohue: Finishes 3rd on his debuet race.

U.S.A. - Francois Cevert: Get's his first, and only win. In style.

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Now for 1972:

Argentina - Carlos Reutemann: Very first race, he poles, and finishes just outside the points.

South Africa - Peter Revson: Unrejectified with a podium after starting 12th.

Spain - Andrea de Adamich: Lucky bastard unrejectifies himself with a 4th in the Surtees.

Monaco - Jean-Pierre Beltoise: Amazing drive in terrible conditions to claim his only win. As well as BRM's last.

Belgium - Mike Hailwood: Has a great run by starting 8th, and finishing 4th.

France - Chris Amon: Should have won this race, but fate intervened. He suffered a puncture, but made up huge ground, and finished 3rd.

U.K. - Arturo Merzario: Scored a point on his very first race as a benchwarmer for Ferrari.

Germany - Jacky Ickx: Simply dominated that race with a grand slam. Not a bad way for you're last victory.

Austria - Connew: Shoestring budget team manages to qualify, and last for almost half the race.

Italy - Mike Hailwood: Gives Surtees their best result with a fine 2nd place.

Canada - Carlos Reutemann: Unrejectifies himself with 4th after starting 9th.

U.S.A. - Ronnie Peterson: Started a mind boggling 26th, but came home 4th.

wmetcalf68

Post by wmetcalf68 »

1981 French GP: Alain Prost for winning his first ever race (and at his home race)
RIP Dan Wheldon #77
RIP Marco Simoncelli #58
RIP Sean Edwards
RIP Maria de Villota
Ataxia's take on the cool wall:
Ataxia wrote:Felipe, baby: Cool
wmetcalf68

Post by wmetcalf68 »

1984 Monaco GP: Ayrton Senna. 'Nuff said.
RIP Dan Wheldon #77
RIP Marco Simoncelli #58
RIP Sean Edwards
RIP Maria de Villota
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

wmetcalf68 wrote:1984 Monaco GP: Stefan Bellof. 'Nuff said.

Fixed. NOW that's 'nuff said... ;) :P
wmetcalf68 wrote:1981 French GP: Alain Prost for winning his first ever race (and at his home race)

I think you'll find that his first ever race was Argentina 1980. Yes, he scored points in his first ever race, but the only guy to win his first ever race was Giancarlo Baghetti...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
wmetcalf68

Post by wmetcalf68 »

dr-baker wrote:

wmetcalf68 wrote:1981 French GP: Alain Prost for winning his first ever race (and at his home race)

I think you'll find that his first ever race was Argentina 1980. Yes, he scored points in his first ever race, but the only guy to win his first ever race was Giancarlo Baghetti...

Sorry, I meant that was the first race he won... :? :oops:
RIP Dan Wheldon #77
RIP Marco Simoncelli #58
RIP Sean Edwards
RIP Maria de Villota
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

wmetcalf68 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Sorry, I meant that was the first race he won... :? :oops:

Didn't mean to come across harshly...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

dr-baker wrote:but the only guy to win his first ever race was Giancarlo Baghetti...

Giuseppe Farina if you count the first ever F1 race.

Johnnie Parsons if you count the Indy 500.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:...the only guy to win his first ever race was Giancarlo Baghetti...

First ever race? I'm fairly certain Baghetti had other races before then. Now, first ever F1 race... :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
dr-baker wrote:...the only guy to win his first ever race was Giancarlo Baghetti...

First ever race? I'm fairly certain Baghetti had other races before then. Now, first ever F1 race... :P

Now, I'm sure Ed Kevin won on his F1 debut :P
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:

Now, I'm sure Ed Kevin won on his F1 debut :P

:|
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

The blast from the past keeps on, now 1953 (again, no Indy)

Argentina: Oscar Galvez (the man who names the Buenos Aires circuit gets his only two points in his only F1 race)

Netherlands: Felice Bonetto (sharing his car led him to shared podium with González)

Belgium: Johnny Claes (it beats me why he didn't get that podium w/Fangio)

France: Jean Behra (earning a top-10 coming from the lower grid places)

Britain: Felice Bonetto/Prince Bira (nice efforts in the race for top-10 places)

Germany: Emmanuel 'Toulo' de Graffenried (from 11th to 5th)

Switzerland: Hermann Lang (his only points ever with a 5th)

Italy: Louis Chiron (10th in a OSCA)

JJMonty

Post by JJMonty »

shinji wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:Now, I'm sure Ed Kevin won on his F1 debut :P

*face palm* :roll:
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

JJMonty wrote:
shinji wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:Now, I'm sure Ed Kevin won on his F1 debut :P

*face palm* :roll:

Ah come on guys, you didn't for a minute believe that was a serious post, did you? ;)
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
JJMonty

Post by JJMonty »

No, though not sure about Shinji :P
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

JJMonty wrote:No, though not sure about Shinji :P

Ah no, just weird to see as that's my actual name!
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Now for 1973:

Argentina - Wilson Fittipaldi: While his brother wins the race, he sweetens the moment with by scoring a point after starting 13th.

Brazil - Arturo Merzario: Unrejectified with a fine 4th place after starting 17th. Ahead of his teammate Jacky Ickx who started 3rd!

South Africa - Jackie Stewart: Started 16th, won the race by almost 25 seconds ahead of Revson, and Fittipaldi.

Spain - George Follmer: Unrejectified with a 3rd place finish. His only podium, and his last points finish.

Belgium - Andrea de Adamich: Get's the aging Brabham into 4th place after starting 18th.

Monaco - Peter Revson: Started 15th, and managed to finish ahead of his teammate Denny Hulme who started 3rd.

Sweden - Ronnie Peterson: Came oh so close to scoring his first win on home soil. Only for his tires to go off on the next to last lap.

France - Jody Scheckter: Almost won the race in only his third career start. Only to crash with Emerson with 11 laps to go.

U.K. - James Hunt: Unrejectified on his home race, while setting fastest lap in the process.

The Netherlands - David Purley: For going above, and beyond, the call of duty when others didn't.

Germany - Wilson Fittipaldi: Lucky Bastard unrejectifies himself with a 5th place ahead of his brother.

Austria - Carlos Pace: A podium for Surtees. While setting fastest lap.

Italy - David Purley: Get's the privateer March up to the dizzing heights of 9th after starting last.

Canada - Howden Ganley: Almost declared the winner to a timing mix-up. But was giving 6th place. He get's the award as compensation.

U.S.A. - James Hunt: Comes very close to win the race in the Hesketh March, and sets fastest lap.

FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

1954 on the run now

Argentina: Elie Bayol (takes on Maserati and Ferrari filled grid to score two points with Gordini, his only ones)

Belgium: Stirling Moss (brings a privateer Maserati to the podium)

France: Karl Kling/Robert Manzon (filling the remaning podium places for Fangio's Mercedes debut win)

Britain: Onofre Marimon (from last places to a podium in his last race)

Germany: Sergio Mantovani (scores points with his Maserati in the race where teammate Marimon dies)

Switzerland: Hans Herrmann (charges himself to score his sole podium at F1)

Italy: Mike Hawthorn (climbs places to find a podium)

Spain: Chico Godia-Sales (almost scored points)

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Monaco 1992: Roberto Moreno Nuff said
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Italy 1994 - Jean Alesi. Not for his drive in the race. But Jean's drive back from Monza to Avignon, which apparently was legendary!
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/