Retrospective F1 Rejects of the Race

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Ferrarist

Retrospective F1 Rejects of the Race

Post by Ferrarist »

What it says on the tin! The era before F1 Rejects has plenty of rejectful potential, so I think we should "crown" the retrospective rejects of the race!

1995 European Grand Prix: Jean-Deniz Deletraz. What was Deletraz doing anyway? (I know, it was too easy. :lol: )
1994 Australian Grand Prix: Jean-Deniz Deletraz. Does he have any business in F1? (That's easy, too :lol: )
1993 European Grand Prix: Michael Andretti, for retiring at the first lap again, and ruining Karl Wendlinger's race.
1998 Belgian Grand Prix: All cars involved in that pile-up. Seriously, what was wrong with you?
1997 European Grand Prix: Michael Schumacher. I thought you were smarter than using that trick again!
MIA SAN MIA!
Salamander

Re: Retrospective F1 Rejects of the Race

Post by Salamander »

Ferrarist wrote:1998 Belgian Grand Prix: Ricardo Rosset. Seriously, what was wrong with you, accelerating into a crash?

Fixed.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

1986 Detroit Grand Prix: The track-side crane. Brought in specifically to remove cars left in awkward positions; couldn't remove Nelson Piquet's Williams when it rammed the barrier. Special mention to the marshals who then withdrew the yellow flag at the corner while the car was still on track, allowing Rene Arnoux to then approach the corner at full speed and plough into the Williams, costing Ligier the chance of a double-podium.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I'll do some for 1999.

1999 Australian Grand Prix - Stewart. Both cars caught fire on the grid pretty much simultaneously. Although Barrichello finished 5th after a monster recovery drive, that's incredibly embarrassing.

1999 San Marino Grand Prix - Jacques Villeneuve. Drags that crapbox BAR into 5th in qualifying...only to stall on the grid come Sunday. :lol:

1999 Monaco Grand Prix - Sauber. Both cars out with suspension failure in the space of a lap IIRC.

1999 Spanish Grand Prix - The race itself. 65 laps of racing, ONE recorded overtaking manoeuvre.

1999 Canadian Grand Prix - The Champions. Villenueve, Schumacher and Hill all clouted a certain wall just after the last chicane. Just needed Hakkinen to complete the full set...

1999 French Grand Prix - Damon Hill. Seriously, your team mate wins the race, and you produce THAT as a performance?

1999 British Grand Prix - BAR. In a low attrition race by 1999 standards (16 cars finished), BAR were the only team to fail to get a car to the finish.

1999 Hungarian Grand Prix - Mika Salo. Qualified 18th and finished two laps down on the leader in basically the best car in the field...

1999 Italian Grand Prix - Mika Hakkinen. A really pathetic and amaturish spin into the kitty litter.

1999 European Grand Prix - Luca Badoer's gearbox. He was only 13 laps away from unrejectification. :cry:

1999 Japanese Grand Prix - Damon Hill. Frankly, he'd have done better if he just stayed at home...

I need help for ROTRs in Brazil, Austria, Germany, Belgium or Malaysia that year...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

East Londoner wrote:1999 Canadian Grand Prix - The Champions. Villenueve, Schumacher and Hill all clouted a certain wall just after the last chicane. Just needed Hakkinen to complete the full set...

Don't forget Ricardo Zonta, the 1998 FIA GT champion.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Nuppiz wrote:
East Londoner wrote:1999 Canadian Grand Prix - The Champions. Villenueve, Schumacher and Hill all clouted a certain wall just after the last chicane. Just needed Hakkinen to complete the full set...

But he's not an F1 champion....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:

But he's not an F1 champion....

But still a champion in some class. Admittedly, he was out of his depth in F1.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:I'll do some for 1999.

1999 Australian Grand Prix - Stewart. Both cars caught fire on the grid pretty much simultaneously. Although Barrichello finished 5th after a monster recovery drive, that's incredibly embarrassing.

I might have said BAR/Reynard here, for self-aggrandisement/over-hype/publicocrap. Winning their first race? Only to not score at all... :roll:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Let's go for 1950 then.

Britain - ERA, for getting both new cars to fail within five laps, getting thoroughly thrashed by the much older ERAs.
Monaco - the Mediterranean Sea, for unleashing its might over the Tabac corner.
Switzerland - Automobiles Talbot-Darracq SA, for handing Eugène Martin a car so unsafe it broke his leg and ended his career.
Belgium - Talbot-Lago-Talbot again, as all four retirements were Talbot-Lagos, including race leader Sommer.
France - Scuderia Ferrari, for withdrawing all cars from practice due to simply not being quick enough.
Italy - Franco Rol, for, on a day when 18 cars failed, being the only one who retired of his own accord.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

1997 Hungarian Grand Prix - Arrows' throttle linkage system (stole what appeared to be a fairytale win from Hill).
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

1986 French GP - The marshals, for providing a Jacques Tati style farce while attempting (although that's giving them too much credit) to put out the fire in Philippe Streiff's Tyrrell. Bonus points for the fire truck driving the wrong way down the pitlane to 'help'.

Oh, I wish there was video of this available, it is unbelievable really.

Runners up in the same race - Allen Berg, for slowing down so much while being lapped that he nearly took out one of the leaders (can't remember who, sorry) and Huub Rothengatter for one of the most pathetic spins into retirement ever.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

1996 French Grand Prix-Michael Schumacher's engine for ceremoniously blowing up....on the Parade Lap.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

1998... listing some candidates:

Australia:
- Arrows: Double DNF due to the gearbox
- Takagi: Only driver to retire by spinning off the track
- Stewart: Both drivers out by lap 2

Brazil:
No idea... can't really point out anyone

Argentina:
- Arrows: Double DNF due to the gearbox AGAIN!

San Marino:
- Benetton: okay, Wurz had an engine problem, but Fisichella binned it!

Spain:
- Fisichella's & Irvine's collision: a rejectful sight :lol:
- Arrows: now they do a double DNF due to the engine... and it was a hilarious sight on TV too!

Monaco:
- I'm afraid I'll have to mention M. Schumacher here: a little less aggression against Wurz would have helped both of them
- Alesi's gearbox: Bad Luck Jean - only six laps away from the finish...
- Tuero: First lap retirement!

Canada:
- Villeneuve: Let me quote László Palik, when he saw that ridiculous try at an outside pass at the first corners against Fisichella when the SC went out: "HOGY MENT EL VILLENEUVE...?" [JV slides off the track] "HÁT SEHOGY!" (How did Villeneuve pass? Nohow!) And then he hit a Minardi. Oh, this is his home circuit... pretty rejectful! :lol:

France:
- I think this is where DC has fuel problems... so his car can be nominated

Great Britain:
- The TV directors: Not showing us the fact that MS got a penalty, then we saw him pit in the end...

Austria:
- Fisichella's & Alesi's collision: nice job messing up your chance at decent points
- Schumacher's off-track excursion: overriding at its best

Germany:
- JV's hair: seriously Jacques?!
- Ferrari in general: 6th and 9th in quali, 5th and 8th in the race... while McLaren does a 1-2!

Hungary:
- Hakkinen's car - it wasn't Mika's fault...

Belgium:
- Rosset, for the aforementioned reason

Italy:
- Hakkinen

Luxembourg:
No idea...

Japan:
- the Tuero-Takagi incident, that (might have) caused MS' retirement

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

1995 As there are a lot of easy ROTR decisions.

Brazil - Williams and Benetton - Neither team got their Constructor points
Argentina - Forti - Both cars were 9 laps down at the end
San Marino - Nigel Mansell - For being in the midfield in a McLaren whilst Hakkinen was fighting for points
Spain - Karl Wendlinger - For being a deadbeat teammate
Monaco - Safety Car - Crashed into Taki Inoue's Footwork
Canada - The chicane towards the end of the circuit - No explanation necessary
France - Undecided
Britain - Damon Hill - Collision with Schumacher was his fault
Germany - Undecided
Hungary - Taki Inoue - Got run over by the safety car
Belgium - Undecided
Italy - Damon Hill - Causing another collision between the two
Portugal - Undecided
Europe - Jean-Denis Deletraz - What was he doing?
Pacific - Undecided
Japan - Williams - Both drivers spun off within a lap of each other
Australia - David Coulthard - Pit lane crash, nuff said
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

South Africa - Damon Hill. Spun in the first lap and then no progress until the Zanardi crash
Brazil - Michael Andretti. Bad start and then collision with Berger taking both of them out
Europe - Alain Prost. Seven pit stops was few too many.
San Marino - Ferrari. Home race and both cars go bang again.
Spain - difficult to choose
Monaco - Gerhard Berger for destroying chance for rare podium finish for Ferrari that year
Canada - Lotus. Qualifying 20th and 21st, finishing 10th and 11th. Weak performance.
France - Andrea de Cesaris. Took Mark Blundell out.
Britain - Michael Andretti. Spun on the first corner.
Germany - Damon Hill's rear tyre. Robbed a win one and half laps before the end.
Hungary - multiple candidates but can't choose one over other
Belgium - Riccardo Patrese. Stupid spin while accelerating out of pit lane. Finished about two and half minutes behind his team-mate Schumacher.
Italy - Ayrton Senna. Crash in the first corner then crash with Brundle.
Portugal - Ferrari's active suspension. Berger had lucky escape from his crash.
Japan - Michael Schumacher. Collision early on.
Australia - Eddie Irvine. Missed grid slot and then crashed out.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Imola 1991 definitely Prost for binning it on the parade lap!

I'd also argue more for Coulthard at Spa 1998.

I'd say Ferrari for three successive races in 1996 - Canada, France and Britain, they were total embarrassments at those 3 races!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Some for 1987

Brazil - March for blowing up all their Cosworths.

San Marino - Piquet you twat.

Belgium - Mansell you twat.

Detroit - Nakajima...no comment

Japan - Mansell you UTTER twat.
Trump 2016
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

redbulljack14 wrote:Belgium - Undecided
Italy - Damon Hill - Causing another collision between the two

For Belgium 1995 - I'd say Mika Hakkinen for spinning out from IIRC 3rd position on the 2nd lap at La Source. Only then to compound his error by stalling his car. If it wasn't for that, I always though Mika would have had a good shot at winning that race.

For Italy 1995 - I'd say DC purely for his spin on the formation lap at the exit of Ascari Chicane.

Barbazza wrote:1986 French GP - The marshals, for providing a Jacques Tati style farce while attempting (although that's giving them too much credit) to put out the fire in Philippe Streiff's Tyrrell. Bonus points for the fire truck driving the wrong way down the pitlane to 'help'.

I salute your thinking Sir & I believe this incident is shown on the 1986 FIA season review video (although I also couldn't find a link to it on the internet if thats what you meant).

IIRC there also was a similar farce during free practice at the 1986 Austrian GP. When one of the Brabham (Patrese’s car I think) burst into flames, as they regularly did that year. It seemed at the marshal post where Patrese parked up, there was a fire extinguisher…but no marshal!!!

Again this is shown in the 1986 FIA season review video, where it appears that a marshal has to run halfway down the straight to get to the extinguisher & put out the fire.

Remember this was all around the time when Elio De Anglis had his tragic accident & as Wiki states…

“The impact itself did not kill de Angelis but he was unable to extract himself from the car unassisted. The situation was exacerbated by the lack of track marshals on the circuit who could have provided him with emergency assistance. A 30 minute delay ensued before a helicopter arrived and De Angelis died 29 hours later, at the hospital in Marseille where he had been taken, from smoke inhalation. His actual crash impact injuries were only a broken collar bone and light burns on his back.”

Not to mention the tragic accident that befell Henri Toivonen in rallying also around that time.

On a lighter note, regarding dodgey Marshalling. I think it was at Spa 1987, Berger's Ferrari packed up around the circuit & when one of the marshall's tries pushing the car off the track, he falls over not once but twice in comedy fashion! Clearly he had one too many Stella's me thinks. Again I couldn't a viedo of it on the internet, but i believe it is shown on the FIA season review video.

East Londoner wrote:I need help for ROTRs in Brazil, Austria, Germany, Belgium or Malaysia that year...

For Brazil 1999 – I’d say Jean Alesi, for storming through the field brilliantly only to stall his engine during his pitstop & undo all of his good work. As Martin Brundle stated during the ITV commentary “that tells you everything you need to know about Alesi”.

Austria 1999 – Surely got to be DC for crashing into his team mate Hakkinen & then failing to win the race afterwards in the fastest car?

Germany 1999 – I hate to say this as I am a massive fan of his…which was incrediably frustrating in 1999, but got to be Alesi again. IIRC he got outqualified by a Minardi & was simply nowhere in the race. Alternative could also be Hill, since he retired a perfectly heathly car. However he seemed to do this during most races in the second half of 1999.

Belgium 1999 – BAR drivers for there crashes in quail perhaps?

Malaysia – Tough one. I am tempted to say Eddie Irvine for needing M Schumi to slow down just so many times. To allow him to win the race. But maybe Ferrari for initially admitting they broke the rules re; the barge board. Only to argue, a week or so later in a court of appeal, that they were within an ‘allowable Torrance’. Similarly the FIA could also be considered the ROTR for that incident.

A couple of other past ROTR's I can think of the top of my head;

Dutch GP 1985 – the organisers for allowing a pace car onto the track, during the middle of a GP for no apparent reason?

Belgium GP 1981 – Again the organisers for the general chaos of the start. Especially allowing the start to happen when a mechanic (Dave Luckett) was attending to one of the arrows cars on the grid.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Austrian Grand Prix 1982 - De Crasheris makes such an effort to get to the other side of the track at the start he crashes into his team-mate.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

ibsey wrote:
Barbazza wrote:1986 French GP - The marshals, for providing a Jacques Tati style farce while attempting (although that's giving them too much credit) to put out the fire in Philippe Streiff's Tyrrell. Bonus points for the fire truck driving the wrong way down the pitlane to 'help'.

I salute your thinking Sir & I believe this incident is shown on the 1986 FIA season review video (although I also couldn't find a link to it on the internet if thats what you meant).

The Murray commentary makes it special, but I think it was on the season review, yes. Unless that year was a Clive James one (can't remember, but probably not) it wouldn't top Murray!
It doesn't really matter which version you might try to put online, it'll be taken down by Bernie's Oompa-Loompas quicker than an Andrea Moda can conk out in qualifying.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Barbazza wrote:
ibsey wrote:

The Murray commentary makes it special, but I think it was on the season review, yes. Unless that year was a Clive James one (can't remember, but probably not) it wouldn't top Murray!
It doesn't really matter which version you might try to put online, it'll be taken down by Bernie's Oompa-Loompas quicker than an Life L190 can conk out in pre-qualifying.

Le fixed. I think.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

ibsey wrote:
On a lighter note, regarding dodgey Marshalling. I think it was at Spa 1987, Berger's Ferrari packed up around the circuit & when one of the marshall's tries pushing the car off the track, he falls over not once but twice in comedy fashion! Clearly he had one too many Stella's me thinks. Again I couldn't a viedo of it on the internet, but i believe it is shown on the FIA season review video.

2011 Canada style?
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

eurobrun wrote:
ibsey wrote:

2011 Canada style?

It's 1993 actually. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I'll have a go at 1996:

Australia: Martin Brundle for the 1st lap crash then colliding with Diniz after 1 lap of the restart
Brazil: Barrichello for his late spin when on course for a home podium
Argentina: Pedro Diniz - taking out Badoer then barbecuing himself
Europe: Benetton clutches - Alesi dropped to 13th then crashed trying to make up ground, Berger away from the grid last.
San Marino: Alesi for having a complete mess of a race with several collisions
Monaco: Lots of candidates but the obvous one is Verstappen starting on slicks on a wet track then crashing at the 1st corner
Spain: Damon Hill for his litany of spins
Canada: Ferrari - Schumacher starting from the pitlane, getting virutally nowhere before a drivehsaft failed, Irvine out in the first couple of laps
France: Ferrari - Schumi out on the parade lap, Irvine starting from the back of the grid after a technical irregularity, then out in the first few laps
Britain: Ferrari - both out in the first 5 laps
Germany: Berger's engine
Hungary: struggling with this one - I'd sat Britain as a whole given the YouTube video on the BBC's future commentary team's bad day!
Belgium: Gotta be Williams for the strategic cock-up!
Italy: Those stacks of tyres on the chicanes so many cars hit!
Portugal: McLarens for taking each other out
Japan: Gerhard Berger for losing his nosecone against Hill and then taking out Irvine, in doing so squandering Benetton's chance to win a race that year and losing 2nd in the WCC to Ferrari
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

James1978 wrote:I'll have a go at 1996:

Britain: Ferrari - both out in the first 5 laps
Italy: Those stacks of tyres on the chicanes so many cars hit!

I was there in the crowd for that British GP, and seeing both Ferraris fail so early made my day! And that Italian GP, I was disappointed to miss as it was the day that I started boarding school for the first time. I was so sad to hear that Damon was one of those to hit the tyre chicane - not a good day!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

I am sure that DOSBoot made a thread like this in HWNSNBM forum IIRC... :roll:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

James1978 wrote:It's 1993 actually.

Thanks for that correction, James1978. I knew it was one of the years, when Berger drove for Ferrari.

redbulljack14 wrote:France - Undecided
Germany - Undecided
Portugal - Undecided
Pacific - Undecided

Been thinking a bit more into these ones;

France 1995 - Another tough one. I'd say Oliver Panis for jumping the start, thus earning a 10 second stop go penalty for his troubles. When he came in to serve it, Rubens Barrichello was just ahead of him serving his penalty for the same offence. However Barrichello was a couple of seconds ahead of Panis & Oliver decided to just follow the Brazilian out so he wouldn't have to serve the full 10 seconds, only around 8 seconds instead. Nevertheless this runied what might have been a potenially great home race for Oliver, considering the 4th position, his part-time teammate Brundle managed in the other car.

Germany 1995 - Either Damon Hill for crashing out from the lead of the race at the start of the 2nd lap. Or the race itself for being a bit of a borefest.

Portugal 1995 - Perhaps Jean-Denis Deletraz (again!) for retiring on lap 14 due to "physical" problems. I know Porgual was a track with lots of high speed corners. But that is only about 20mins of racing (if you can call it that in when driving a Pacific Ford) in one of the slowest cars in the field!!!

Pacific 1995 - I haven't seen this race for a while now, but I vaugely recall DC & Williams not maxmising their stragegy & losing a race that they really have ought to have won. IIRC at the end of the 1st lap DC was in the lead, with the fastest car & M Schumi was in 5th position. Yet M schumi still won? Another contender for ROTR perhaps should go to Damon Hill, for his performance, not least his clumsy collision with Eddie Irvine, which damaged his front wing.

A few more random ROTR's from the top of my head;

Germany 1994 - Hakkinen for causing a start line pile up on par with Spa 1998 & Sliverstone 1973. Thus earning himself a one race ban, in the process.

Australia 1997 - Jean Alesi for deciding to do his bit for the enviroment & save petrol by not pitting. In the words of the great Murray Walker, "Oh Sunshine, you may look worried. You've got a major problem when you get back to the pits". :lol:

Argentina 1997 - Could be a few nominations for this one. Firstly both M Schumi & Barrichello for taking themselves out with a 1st lap crash. Or maybe Jean Alesi for another of his crazy performances (which included a coming together with Hill) just to p#ss Flavio Britore off either further. Or maybe Ralf Schumi deserves it for for taking out his teammate & throwing away good points for his team.

Portugal 1991 - Has to be the Williams team for 'that' pitstop. Which proved to be a massive blow, for Mansell's shot at that years WDC.

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

FMecha wrote:I am sure that DOSBoot made a thread like this in HWNSNBM forum IIRC... :roll:

It was called "ROTY for Years Not Covered". This is kind of a different subject.

While we are on it here's one for this thread.

1988 Monaco GP - Aryton Senna: Panics, and crashes while Prost was catching him.
1990 Portugese GP - Philipe Alliot: Clips Mansell, and crashes into the wall. With James Hunt telling it like it is.
1983 Monaco GP - McLaren: Both cars failing to qualify.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

James1978 wrote:I'll have a go at 1996:
Hungary: struggling with this one - I'd sat Britain as a whole given the YouTube video on the BBC's future commentary team's bad day!

I don't remember very good video, but remembering the crash on the first lap - Salo was out on the spot, Diniz struggled to pit lane, Verstappen later spun because of it, Lamy had damage spotted on the first planned pit stop.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

DOSBoot wrote:1983 Monaco GP - McLaren: Both cars failing to qualify.

On that same theme, how about;

Detriot GP 1982 - Nelson Piquet, the defending F1 WDC failing to qualify for a race. :shock:

Perhaps close runners up for ROTR would the clerk of the course for stopping the race after just 7 laps, for a relatively minor accident. Or maybe Giacomelli deserves it, when Watson passed him but the Italian counterattacked a moment later when the McLaren went wide. Giacomelli tried to force his way through on the inside, but his left front wheel hit Watson's right rear, and Giacomelli ended up in the wall. Alternatively perhaps the bunch of drivers (IIRC Lauda, Cheever & Pironi) who couldn't overtake one another & were then subsequently shamed when Watson stormed up behind them & overtook all of them on the same lap.

BTW I couldn't find any videos on utube to post here & show these incidents?

Belgium 1989 - Piquet and Nakajima failed to qualify thus it was the first time that both Lotus cars entered for a World Championship race failed to qualify. However I personally would give that ROTR award to james hunt who got so drunk, he failed to turn up for work that day.

James1978

Post by James1978 »

On the 1982 year review video when they did Detroit, Clive James said "Giacomelli removed himself by pressing the wrong pedal" or something like that. :lol:

Wonder how many Rene Arnoux could have got in his later Ligier days?

Here's some more off the top of my head:

Las Vegas 1981: Carlos Reutemann for losing the championship in the most pathetic way ever.
Long Beach 1983: Keke Rosberg, how many collisions?
Austria 1983: Jean-Pierre Jarier for his stupid blocking of Tambay.
Dallas 1984: "The parked-car pool"!
Australia 1986: Goodyear for their tyres robbing Rosberg of a farewell win and Mansell of the championship - when pre-race they said they would be good for the whole race.
Japan 1990: Senna. Nuff said.
Monaco 1991: Pierluigi Martini was a complete idiot when being lapped, and I recently read he was the first ever victim of a stop/go penalty.
Canada 1991: Nigel Mansell for losing the race by waving to the crowd!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

1997 Spanish Grand Prix: Eddie Irvine - For having one of his REALLY off days where he spent all day trolling around the midfield several seconds a lap off the pace.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Wizzie wrote:1997 Spanish Grand Prix: Eddie Irvine - For having one of his REALLY off days where he spent all day trolling around the midfield several seconds a lap off the pace.

Not to mention blocking Panis when he had to chance to catch Villeneuve, for a possible 2nd win and a 1st for Prost.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I should try 1997 for the full season actually:

Australia: either Alesi for running out of fuel, Irvine for his kamikaze first corner move, or Arrows for Hill not making the gird. That's before you even mention Mastercard Lola!!!

Brazil: Eddie Irvine - he caused the first corner collision, stalled at the restart and lacerated himself on his seatbelts. :lol:

Argentina: Alesi for having another of his complete messes of a race. Either him or Ralf for taking out Fisichella when they were on course for at least a 3-4.

San Marino: Damon Hill for his collision and then stupid outburst about Shinji Nakano.

Monaco: Williams for putting slicks on both cars when it was chucking it down.

Spain: Irvine as previously menioned

Canada: Jacques Villeneuve, start of his home curse

France: Murray Walker for questioning the wisdom of Michael Schumacher letting his brother unlap himself; it got him a point when Alesi and Coulthard collided.

Great Britain: Frentzen for stalling and just being generally useless.

Germany: Not sure, Fisichella's tyre maybe? Or Villeneuve for spinning out whilst behind a Prost driven by a rookie.

Hungary: Hill's gearbox, or Alesi for finishing behind a Minardi!

Belgium: Irvine - again he was tooling around in midfield when his teammate won the race.

Italy: Ralf Schumacher for one of the most ham-fisted moves ever on Herbert.

Austria: Damon Hill for pathetically letting Schumacher through on the last lap.

Luxembourg: Ralf for taking out his brother fighting for the championship. Or Damon Hill for stalling in the pits when on for points.

Japan: Damon Hill for pathetically blocking Schumacher lapping him. Or Jacques Villeneuve for DQing himself then doing a really bad tactical bloacking job in the race which allowed Ferrari to execute their team strategy perfectly.

Europe: Michael Schumacher, nuff said.

Hmm, I notice a theme here; Hill, Villeneuve, Alesi, Irvine and Ralf all get multiple mentions. No coincidence I feel. :lol:
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

James1978 wrote:France: Murray Walker for questioning the wisdom of Michael Schumacher letting his brother unlap himself; it got him a point when Alesi and Coulthard collided.

Murray Walker reject of the race?!?. :shock: That does not compute.

In my eyes Murray can question whatever he wants to & was merely stating a 'prophecy' that never came true. ;)

Personally I would have said Norberto Fontana was more deserving of that particularly ROTR award, for seemly wanting to pit on every other lap in the race, because he was too tired & wanted to retire. Yes I know it was only his first race & how he was quickly thrown into the seat after both Larini & Morbidelli had quickly vacated it. However, it all just seemed a bit too rejectful to me.

James1978 wrote:Germany: Not sure, Fisichella's tyre maybe? Or Villeneuve for spinning out whilst behind a Prost driven by a rookie.

Am I right in thinking that, when M Schumi carried Fisco back to the pits on his car during the slow-down lap after the race, the stewards took a dim view of that 'nice guesture' & since then this has never happened again? If so I would also like to nominate the stewards as a contender for ROTR.

pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

ibsey wrote:
James1978 wrote:France: Murray Walker for questioning the wisdom of Michael Schumacher letting his brother unlap himself; it got him a point when Alesi and Coulthard collided.

Murray Walker reject of the race?!?. :shock: That does not compute.

In my eyes Murray can question whatever he wants to & was merely stating a 'prophecy' that never came true. ;)

HOW DARE THEE QUESTION THE GREAT MURRAY WALKER???!!!???!! :shock: :o

On a more serious note, you can get out of any situation by sandwiching what you're about to say with "Unless I'm very much mistaken.....//insert phrase here//.... I AM very much mistaken!" Of course, that only works if you actually make a mistake! ;)
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Ok I take it back about Murray Walker, but I was REALLY struggling to choose a RotR for France. Maybe it'll have to be Hill again becuase he was (I think) outqualified by Diniz and got car damage at the first corner!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

ibsey wrote:
Am I right in thinking that, when M Schumi carried Fisco back to the pits on his car during the slow-down lap after the race, the stewards took a dim view of that 'nice guesture' & since then this has never happened again? If so I would also like to nominate the stewards as a contender for ROTR.

Where were you during last year's German GP? :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Wizzie wrote:
ibsey wrote:

Where were you during last year's German GP? :lol:

It happens quite a few times. Don't see a problem with it. It shows that even if all racing drivers battle like there's no tomorrow, there's still a massive amount of respect shown to each other. Unless its Hamilton and Alonso. Or Maldonado and everyone.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I didn't think Hamilton and Alonso have had any sort of issues with each other since Alonso left McLaren (or at least since he joined Ferrari anyway - there was one or two things in 2008 I guess)! :shock:

(Unless Alonso was getting upset at Ferrari losing constructors points last year as Hamilton was colliding with his teammate all the time). :lol: