The Alex Zanardi Paralympic Thread

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
TomPryce

The Alex Zanardi Paralympic Thread

Post by TomPryce »

I, for one, am mega excited to watch Zanardi compete in London. He's an absolute hero in my eyes, and I am glad he's still competing after his horrific accident ten years ago. Anyone else looking forward to it? :D
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Barbazza

Re: The Alex Zanardi Paralympic Thread

Post by Barbazza »

Absolutely!

I did want to go and see him live but couldn't find anyone who wanted to go to Brands Hatch with me sadly. Today I've found out that one of my friends who's a sports journalist seems to have done an interview with him for Metro a few months back, so now I've sent him a mail about that!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Barbazza wrote:Absolutely!

I did want to go and see him live but couldn't find anyone who wanted to go to Brands Hatch with me sadly. Today I've found out that one of my friends who's a sports journalist seems to have done an interview with him for Metro a few months back, so now I've sent him a mail about that!

What events are going on at Brands Hatch?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

The cycling road races, including the one that Alex Zanardi will be in!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I was able to get tickets to Brands Hatch for the Road Cycling! I applied for them in the hope of seeing Alessandro Zanardi, and it just happens to be on my mum's birthday! Makes up for not getting tickets on my 30th birthday. :( I'll be going with my family. Who else has tickets for 8th September?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I would have gone if it weren't on the other side of the freaking country to me...and wasn't busy moving to Edinburgh at the same time.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Can't say I'd ever have gone to see any of the events live, seeing as they'll all break the bank, but I will be watching that day. Channel 4 may find the extra influx of F1 fans will see the viewing figures go through the roof.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:Can't say I'd ever have gone to see any of the events live, seeing as they'll all break the bank, but I will be watching that day. Channel 4 may find the extra influx of F1 fans will see the viewing figures go through the roof.

Breaking the bank at £20 per ticket? I'm a uni student and I could stretch my budget to this...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:Can't say I'd ever have gone to see any of the events live, seeing as they'll all break the bank, but I will be watching that day. Channel 4 may find the extra influx of F1 fans will see the viewing figures go through the roof.

Breaking the bank at £20 per ticket? I'm a uni student and I could stretch my budget to this...

Yeah, that's what I paid to see the women's football quarter final in Coventry, a game which involved Team GB. Some of the prices are astronomical, but you can easily get to see a slice of the action on a budget if you desire. I'm not sure what sports are included in the paralympics but if there's anything similar to the road cycling events or the triathlon or marathon then you can get there and watch for free!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

By my understanding, Zanardi is competing in H4 class where time trial is scheduled on Wednesday 5th at 14.30 and road race on Friday 7th at 16:30.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:Breaking the bank at £20 per ticket? I'm a uni student and I could stretch my budget to this...

There's also getting to Brands Hatch to factor in as well, and all this at a time where I have more very large bills hovering in front of me than a marauding horde of pelicans.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Breaking the bank at £20 per ticket? I'm a uni student and I could stretch my budget to this...

There's also getting to Brands Hatch to factor in as well, and all this at a time where I have more very large bills hovering in front of me than a marauding horde of pelicans.

Fair enough. I live just a 45-minute drive from Brands, it'll cost me less than a tenner to driver there and back for all four of us. But public transport from anywhere other than N-W Kent or London will be awful.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

dr-baker wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:

Fair enough. I live just a 45-minute drive from Brands, it'll cost me less than a tenner to driver there and back for all four of us. But public transport from anywhere other than N-W Kent or London will be awful.

To get the train from Edinburgh to Longfield and back (which is my best guess at the nearest station to Brands Hatch) is £116.50. Not exactly cheap is it :|

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

kostas22 wrote:To get the train from Edinburgh to Longfield and back (which is my best guess at the nearest station to Brands Hatch) is £116.50. Not exactly cheap is it :|

Bearing that in mind, no that is not at all cheap. And if I were in your position, I wouldn't bother. In the same way that I would love to go to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, but have yet to do so.
MCard LOLA
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

dr-baker wrote:
kostas22 wrote:To get the train from Edinburgh to Longfield and back (which is my best guess at the nearest station to Brands Hatch) is £116.50. Not exactly cheap is it :|

Bearing that in mind, no that is not at all cheap. And if I were in your position, I wouldn't bother. In the same way that I would love to go to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, but have yet to do so.

Seen as my Grandparents live only 15-25mins away from Brands, I can tell you the nearest station is Farningham
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:

It's an absolute disgrace. The government harps on about us being more "eco-friendly" and to use public transport, when they know damn well it's a complete non-starter. The economic argument doesn't even stand up. And to think, ticket prices will be going up by another 6% in January! Wonder where that extra money will be going... :roll:

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

It's an absolute disgrace. The government harps on about us being more "eco-friendly" and to use public transport, when they know damn well it's a complete non-starter. The economic argument doesn't even stand up. And to think, ticket prices will be going up by another 6% in January! Wonder where that extra money will be going... :roll:

Are you implying government coffers, or dividends to private company shareholders?
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Anywhere except where they should be going, and that is into improvements into the network. It's exactly the same situation with the road network - millions taken off of the motorist, and barely any of it re-invested into improvements or maintenance of the roads. The government's priorities are fundamentally wrong - they see transport systems as just a money-making exercise.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

There are many things that are now screwed beyond belief such that whoever is running the country (because the previous lot didn't exactly do much better on transport) will never be able to turn around IMO. The road and rail network definitely come under that category. So, I'm afraid, does the NHS.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Barbazza wrote:There are many things that are now screwed beyond belief such that whoever is running the country (because the previous lot didn't exactly do much better on transport) will never be able to turn around IMO. The road and rail network definitely come under that category. So, I'm afraid, does the NHS.

The railways need to be privatised again. Roadworkers need to get their bloody fingers out of their arses and actually do some work. Doctors should learn to write, and show compassion. Jod done.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

The United Kingdom just needs a giant reset button tbh. We bathplugged everything up beyond repair.

Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

kostas22 wrote:The United Kingdom just needs a giant reset button tbh. We bathplugged everything up beyond repair.

I may have to sig this at some point.

When i'm done shamelessly promoting Jack Christopherson's World Championship success
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

15 minutes in, and Channel 4's coverage is absolutely dire. I want the BBC :(

TWO bathplugging ad breaks in less than 20 minutes! :evil:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:15 minutes in, and Channel 4's coverage is absolutely dire. I want the BBC :(

And it didn't get much better... I HATE ad breaks. :evil:
MCard LOLA
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

East Londoner wrote:15 minutes in, and Channel 4's coverage is absolutely dire. I want the BBC :(

It's the other way around here in Australia, the ABC has the coverage of the paralympics so there are no ads, where as the hateful Channel 9 had the Olympic coverage, whose amount of ads came second only to coverage of swimming.
This is a cool spot.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

MinardiFan95 wrote:

It's the other way around here in Australia, the ABC has the coverage of the paralympics so there are no ads, where as the hateful Channel 9 had the Olympic coverage, whose amount of ads came second only to coverage of swimming.

Channel 9 can go bathplug themselves.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Interestingly rejectful news from the Olympic stadium. In the men's 100m T51 final (that's wheelchairs, for those of you who haven't been following), the slowest qualifier was one Satoshi Inoue. He finished last, five seconds behind the winner.

I'll be watching for other athletes, not necessarily in wheelchairs, with such surnames as Délétraz, Ghinzani and Ide.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I'm glad it wasn't just me who spotted that. I said instantly 'he gets my support!'
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Glad to see Finland is doing better here than in the Olympics. Including gold medal in that competition where Inoue was in.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Bleu wrote:Glad to see Finland is doing better here than in the Olympics. Including gold medal in that competition where Inoue was in.

And nothing less than a new world record in the qualifying heats. You don't get to hear stuff like that from Finnish athletes too often...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

http://paralympics.channel4.com/news-pi ... et-zanardi

Worth a read, even though we all know the back story inside out.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

We've got the result, at least if the london2012.com site is working properly. But I am going to put it on a different thread so it's not a spoiler for anyone who looks here and doesn't want to know how it's gone until it's announced officially... mods, feel free to merge the two when you think it appropriate.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Why the hell is Rihanna performing at the Closing Ceremony? Utterly disgraceful. I thought the ceremonies were supposed to promote Britain and it's talent, not some untalented idiot that's only famous for performing practically naked with half a ton of Autotune applied. Total slap in the face to all of the hardworking, inspirational Paralympians. :evil:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

East Londoner wrote:Why the hell is Rihanna performing at the Closing Ceremony? Utterly disgraceful. I thought the ceremonies were supposed to promote Britain and it's talent, not some untalented idiot that's only famous for performing practically naked with half a ton of Autotune applied. Total slap in the face to all of the hardworking, inspirational Paralympians. :evil:

Seconded. Although Reject of the Parympics should go to Channel 4 for the worst broadcast of a sporting event since Imola 2005.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Why the hell is Rihanna performing at the Closing Ceremony? Utterly disgraceful. I thought the ceremonies were supposed to promote Britain and it's talent, not some untalented idiot that's only famous for performing practically naked with half a ton of Autotune applied. Total slap in the face to all of the hardworking, inspirational Paralympians. :evil:

Seconded. Although Reject of the Parympics should go to Channel 4 for the worst broadcast of a sporting event since Imola 2005.

I forget Imola '05 (and the whole of '05, for that matter...), what happened during the broadcasting?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:

I forget Imola '05 (and the whole of '05, for that matter...), what happened during the broadcasting?

A massive battle for the lead, and victory between Alonso and Schumacher was building up in the last 10 or so laps of the race. With three laps to go, Schumacher was right on Alonso's gearbox...and ITV went to an ad break! Coverage resumed with about half a lap to go with the two still so close together. Absolute shambles. Total crap it was.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

East Londoner wrote:A massive battle for the lead, and victory between Alonso and Schumacher was building up in the last 10 or so laps of the race. With three laps to go, Schumacher was right on Alonso's gearbox...and ITV went to an ad break! Coverage resumed with about half a lap to go with the two still so close together. Absolute shambles. Total crap it was.

This is ITV you're talking about. A channel that allows Adrian Chiles to present football. Did you expect anything else from them?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

redbulljack14 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:A massive battle for the lead, and victory between Alonso and Schumacher was building up in the last 10 or so laps of the race. With three laps to go, Schumacher was right on Alonso's gearbox...and ITV went to an ad break! Coverage resumed with about half a lap to go with the two still so close together. Absolute shambles. Total crap it was.

This is ITV you're talking about. A channel that allows Adrian Chiles to present football. Did you expect anything else from them?

This was the most cringeworthy moment of ITV coverage. (This is the only version of it on Youtube)
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:

This was the most cringeworthy moment of ITV coverage. (This is the only version of it on Youtube)

And I thought that I had totally obliterated that from my memory... :evil:
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I thought that was awful too. Coldplay yes, though they're not my favourite band. Rihanna and bloody Jay-Z, no thanks. I thought the whole closing ceremony was a bit bland to be honest. The opening ceremony was miles better.