Who will be the next NEW F1 world champion?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
IceG

Who will be the next NEW F1 world champion?

Post by IceG »

And how long will we have to wait?

There are six world driver champions on the grid right now, three of whom are performing brilliantly and only Schumacher is likely to retire. I can't see Massa doing it, nor Webber unfortunately in their last and second-to-last seasons respectively. Maldonado is an idiot who hasn't the temperament to win a season. Perhaps Rosberg, Perez or Grosjean if he stops crashing? But I could see the WDC staying with a current or former champion for another three plus years.
Pamphlet

Re: Who will be the next NEW F1 world champion?

Post by Pamphlet »

Grosjean, Rosberg, Webber. Which is disheartening, as I don't want any of them to win.
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Robert Kubica. Clearly. I wish.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I can see Rosberg and Perez winning championships in the future
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Robert Kubica. Clearly. I wish.

Why is it that I hate pretty much everyone that seemingly has the potential to win championships in the future? Kubica too...
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Antonio Felix da Costa.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

kostas22 wrote:Alexander Rossi

Fixed :lol:
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Probably Rosberg or Webber. In fact, I'm willing to bet that this year's title will come down to a fight between Rosberg, Webber and Alonso.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

Karthikeyan.

Don't worry, I'm joking. ;)

Serious, I see Rosberg WDC in the next future, despite I don't think he's competitive as the present drivers who have won yet one or more championship (his results are better than Schumacher's at now, but considering Schumacher between the 90s and 2006, I don't think that Nico is better).
I suppose Perez will be a WDC too in the future, but I don't think it would happen in the near future: if he joins Ferrari next year as Alonso's team mate, he will have a number two driver status, so not the best situation to become a WDC.
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Probably whoever ends up at Red Bull. It's the top competitive seat that we expect will have a vacancy soon (Ferrari will have a vacancy, but any driver going there will not be allowed to compete with Alonso), perhaps with the exception of Schumacher's seat at Mercedes, but I would expect Red Bull to be better than Mercedes, and for any driver coming in to Mercedes being left to support Rosberg. But I don't know who could get the seat at Red Bull and beat Vettel to the championship (assuming it's him that's still there). Of the drivers currently on Red Bull's books, I don't see Ricciardo, Vergne or Buemi being good enough in two seasons time.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Cristophe Hurni
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

As much as I'd like to say Massa or Webber their best chances have been and gone.

I really can't see Rosberg doing it, or if he does it would be in a Jenson Button sort of way. It depends on who takes the second seat at Mercedes next year, but I have a feeling that whoever it is will outshine him. I just don't think he has the determination for it, but I would love him to prove me wrong.

Grosjean? Not based on current form. IMHO he hasn't warranted Bouiller bringing him back yet, I see little improvement from last time.

I think it would have to be Perez, he doesn't shine in every race but it's rare for him to have a real duffer and that will be vital when he does get a top car. Malaysia and Monaco in particular this year have shown his best qualities.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AdrianSutil wrote:
kostas22 wrote:Alexander Rossi

Fixed :lol:

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Its a really great question but at the moment I cannot see anybody except one of the current championeys winning for a good while. What a great prospect for the next few years, though, these F1 grandees duking it out season after season!

After them I guess the obvious understudys (Rosberg and Grosjean) may have their opportunities but equally the next NEW champion possibly isnt even in F1 yet. Id also pick out Perez, Ricciardo and Vergne as having potential if they keep at it but my dream champion would be Kobayashi.

So thats pretty much the entire grid named. Hmmm :?
Just For One Day...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

CoopsII wrote:Its a really great question but at the moment I cannot see anybody except one of the current championeys winning for a good while. What a great prospect for the next few years, though, these F1 grandees duking it out season after season!

After them I guess the obvious understudys (Rosberg and Grosjean) may have their opportunities but equally the next NEW champion possibly isnt even in F1 yet. Id also pick out Perez, Ricciardo and Vergne as having potential if they keep at it but my dream champion would be Kobayashi.

So thats pretty much the entire grid named. Hmmm :?

You forgot Karthikeyan.

Image Image
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

It just has to be Jules Bianchi, doesn't it. :P

Joking aside, Webber's best chance for the championship blew up the moment he put his Red Bull into the wall at Korea in 2010. I can't really see him doing it, seeing as he's a clear number 2 to Vettel. That said though, like Alonso, he is quietly racking up points finishes, and in a season like this, I think consistancy will be the key to the title. So maybe he does have a chance.

Massa's best chance was 2008. I fear he hasn't been the same since Hungary 2009 and to a lesser extent, Germany 2010. His time in F1 with a top team is running out.

Rosberg has to be the clear favourite. He's got time on his side, he's curing his Fisichellaitis, and if Mercedes can sort out their tyre woes next season, I see no reason why he shouldn't be a genuine contender. Reallistically, he should be a contender this year, but for the Merc's appetite for rubber...

Grosjean needs to learn that the race is not won at the first corner anymore. If he can settle down and put in consistant performances, maybe there's an outside chance that he will do so.

The Reverend won't do it. Nuff said.

Perez may do so in the future, but it does depend on what seat he gets. If he gets the Ferrari seat next season and Alonso is on top form (like now), he'll be a clear second driver...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I think the next new champion is not yet on F1. Looking at the lower formulae, it is probable that it will come from FR3.5... I will say Kevin Magnussen! :) The son of a reject!

The only future championship in the current F1 paddock, IMO, is Di Resta. Perhaps Vergne can have potential, but I haven't seen enough yet and the jury is still out on him. Then, sadly, Kobayashi suffers from the Japanese driver syndrome. The fans love him, but no big team takes him seriously. Ricciardo can't race, Maldonado is too erratic, Senna is too slow, Grrrjjjjnnnn will be a Toleman driver for much of his career, Webber will swap to Ferrari and then it's bye bye, Massa is in bye bye mode already, Rosberg is the nearly man, Hulkenberg is underwhelming and Perez is a good second driver. The others drive for Caterham, Marussia and HRT.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
RonDenisDeletraz

DanielPT wrote:I think the next new champion is not yet on F1. Looking at the lower formulae, it is probable that it will come from FR3.5... I will say Kevin Magnussen! :) The son of a reject!

The only future championship in the current F1 paddock, IMO, is Di Resta. Perhaps Vergne can have potential, but I haven't seen enough yet and the jury is still out on him. Then, sadly, Kobayashi suffers from the Japanese driver syndrome. The fans love him, but no big team takes him seriously. Ricciardo can't race, Maldonado is too erratic, Senna is too slow, Grrrjjjjnnnn will be a Toleman driver for much of his career, Webber will swap to Ferrari and then it's bye bye, Massa is in bye bye mode already, Rosberg is the nearly man, Hulkenberg is underwhelming and Perez is a good second driver. The others drive for Caterham, Marussia and HRT.

Di Resta will probably go to Mercedes next year, I think he will be number 2 to Rosberg.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

Well, Webber, if he can do it this year...

Otherwise it is depends on who gets a top car first, maybe Perez at Ferrari, or some of the Red Bull drivers? But I have a strong feeling the next champion is still in the lower tiers as Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso still have many years to go.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Am I the only one who rates Antonio Felix da Costa at all? OK, he needs to work at his consistency, but all young drivers have problems with that, you can see from his qualifying performance he has the raw talent to be quick in F1. He has already driven for Force India in testing, hopefully they pick him up full time as their next young driver and promote him to a race seat a couple of years in the future :)

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:The only future championship in the current F1 paddock, IMO, is Di Resta.

Damn, I went and forgot about him. I agree with DanielPT and reckon Di Resta will be the next NEW F1 champion. Also, in this topsy-turvy season why couldnt Webber clinch it?

Maldonado? No.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

eurobrun wrote:
DanielPT wrote:I think the next new champion is not yet on F1. Looking at the lower formulae, it is probable that it will come from FR3.5... I will say Kevin Magnussen! :) The son of a reject!

Di Resta will probably go to Mercedes next year, I think he will be number 2 to Rosberg.

I think he has the potential to beat Rosberg into submission.

kostas22 wrote:Am I the only one who rates Antonio Felix da Costa at all? OK, he needs to work at his consistency, but all young drivers have problems with that, you can see from his qualifying performance he has the raw talent to be quick in F1. He has already driven for Force India in testing, hopefully they pick him up full time as their next young driver and promote him to a race seat a couple of years in the future :)

I rate Felix da Costa only because he is Portuguese, because if he wasn't, I would completely ignore him. Let's face it, he has been anonymous in his lower formula career and the fact that he is Portuguese automatically guarantees him the lack of funds to correctly progress through the ranks, never mind F1. Yes, he drove for FI but then so many others tested for F1 teams without going anywhere. Besides, if we are talking about Portuguese drivers, Filipe Albuquerque is better IMHO. Both won FR 2.0 NEC, but Albuquerque succeeded to the mighty Kobayashi as the Eurocup FR champion.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:The only future championship in the current F1 paddock, IMO, is Di Resta.

Damn, I went and forgot about him. I agree with DanielPT and reckon Di Resta will be the next NEW F1 champion. Also, in this topsy-turvy season why couldnt Webber clinch it?

He is against Alonso this season, which means that he cannot afford much more off days. Besides, he choked the last time he faced the prospect of wining the championship...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:He is against Alonso this season, which means that he cannot afford much more off days. Besides, he choked the last time he faced the prospect of wining the championship...

True and in a like-for-like battle we know who would win but as the season so far has been far from normal he (and a fair few others obv) could just grab the title with consistency. Im not saying he will just that he has a shot again. This season it may not be a case of someone winning the title but actually someone ending up with the title, if you know what I mean.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:He is against Alonso this season, which means that he cannot afford much more off days. Besides, he choked the last time he faced the prospect of wining the championship...

True and in a like-for-like battle we know who would win but as the season so far has been far from normal he (and a fair few others obv) could just grab the title with consistency. Im not saying he will just that he has a shot again. This season it may not be a case of someone winning the title but actually someone ending up with the title, if you know what I mean.

I see what you mean, but Alonso has been driving the wheels off that Ferrari and they keep making progress. It might be a too though task for Webber because as long as Vettel stays in the hunt the team will favour him. Webber vs Vettel vs Alonso? I highly doubt it, but then again, this is the season to do it...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Out of those currently on the grid in with a shout of doing it this year, Webber and Rosberg are the most likely. Di Resta, if he gets the right breaks, is possibly the only other that I could envisige doing it, but it is in no way certain.

But I am sincerely hoping that Williams continue their upturn in fortunes, so a Williams driver in the future may do it. And in my mind, it would be epic if it then came down to Bruno Senna and Josh Hill battling for the world title in Williams Renaults! (Although it is a shame Nico Rosberg never managed it in a Williams Cosworth...)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Pamphlet wrote:

Why is it that I hate pretty much everyone that seemingly has the potential to win championships in the future? Kubica too...

What's your problem with Kubica?

Also, if he ever makes it to F1, Robert Wickens. Possibly Di Resta or Perez as well, Webber if he doesn't self-destruct. For me, the jury's still out on Rosberg, I still haven't seen enough of him to know whether or not he has Fisichellaitis.
Everything's great.
RonDenisDeletraz

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Pamphlet wrote:

What's your problem with Kubica?

Also, if he ever makes it to F1, Robert Wickens. Possibly Di Resta or Perez as well, Webber if he doesn't self-destruct. For me, the jury's still out on Rosberg, I still haven't seen enough of him to know whether or not he has Fisichellaitis.

He (pamphlet) seemingly hates everyone. :roll:

Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

eurobrun wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:What's your problem with Kubica?

He (pamphlet) seemingly hates everyone. :roll:

Has to do with popular opinion and my total disapproval of it in almost every situation (hence why I went from massively respecting Alonso and hating Hamilton (2007, especially after Spygate) to loving Hamilton and rooting against Alonso (now), and why I don't hesitate w/ stuff like admitting that I heavily dislike most of the people on here). I genuinely do not find Kubica to be nearly as good as people say he is. He didn't even impress me in 2008.

DanielPT wrote:Besides, he choked the last time he faced the prospect of wining the championship...

Admittedly, he was slightly injured.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Pamphlet wrote:I genuinely do not find Kubica to be nearly as good as people say he is. He didn't even impress me in 2008.

Where were you for virtually the entire 2010 season?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

Wizzie wrote:
Pamphlet wrote:I genuinely do not find Kubica to be nearly as good as people say he is. He didn't even impress me in 2008.

Where were you for virtually the entire 2010 season?

Watching Vettel have car failure after car failure after car failure. Oh, and brain fades which only served to help Webber.

That Renault was better than it looked.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Pamphlet wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Besides, he choked the last time he faced the prospect of wining the championship...

Admittedly, he was slightly injured.

Admittedly, it was an excuse.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Yes, because qualifying the 5th best car on the front row pre-2012 was an easy thing. Also, dragging the 2009 BMW on to the podium and keeping up with a Red Bull while his engine was on the blink is completely unimpressive. As was bouncing back from probably the biggest crash in modern Formula 1 to put in his best (at the time) qualifying performance at France, finishing on the podium in only his 3rd race, and frequently topping the practice sheets on tracks he hadn't even seen... do I need to go on?

Watching Vettel have car failure after car failure after car failure. That Renault was better than it looked.

I don't see how the Renault could've been better than 5th in 2010 - Red Bull, Ferrari, and McLaren were all clearly faster, and Mercedes too more often than not.
Everything's great.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Also, if he ever makes it to F1, Robert Wickens. Possibly Di Resta or Perez as well, Webber if he doesn't self-destruct. For me, the jury's still out on Rosberg, I still haven't seen enough of him to know whether or not he has Fisichellaitis.

Oh yeah, I was going to mention Robby Wickens... He impressed me in A1GP, and has done well in FR 3.5 since, but seems perpertually stuck there since.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Also, if he ever makes it to F1, Robert Wickens. Possibly Di Resta or Perez as well, Webber if he doesn't self-destruct. For me, the jury's still out on Rosberg, I still haven't seen enough of him to know whether or not he has Fisichellaitis.

Oh yeah, I was going to mention Robby Wickens... He impressed me in A1GP, and has done well in FR 3.5 since, but seems perpertually stuck there since.

He is now in DTM. His open-wheel career seems to be over, really, unless he performs a Di Resta.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:

Stuck? He was there a couple non-consecutive years, I think. He's in DTM now - which I think is probably a bad move, considering he doesn't seem anywhere near as competitive as di Resta was, but it's early days yet.
Everything's great.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

DanielPT wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

He is now in DTM. His open-wheel career seems to be over, really, unless he performs a Di Resta.

He's part of the Mercedes Junior Team now, the intention of which is to emulate the sportscar team that produced Frentzen, Wendlinger and Schumacher, who is a mentor to the team, so it seems there's some desire on Mercedes' part to evaluate Wickens, Merhi and Vietoris for a move up to F1.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Or Miguel Molina for Audi Abt Sportsline. His results have been rather mediocre so far. OK, he had two pole positions near the end of last season, but he has one podium position to his name and that's all. The only way to escape the career ending black hole that is the DTM is to win everything in sight. And even that might not prove enough.

Image Image
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

If there's going to be a new champion this year, it certainly won't be anyone on his year's grid.

Except maybe Perez.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

JeremyMcClean wrote:If there's going to be a new champion this year, it certainly won't be anyone on his year's grid.

Except maybe Perez.

Wait... Are you saying that this year's champion will not be someone from this year's grid?

MIND BLOWING!

:lol: