Who will be the next NEW F1 world champion?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
good_Ralf

Re: Who will be the next NEW F1 world champion?

Post by good_Ralf »

Salamander wrote:I'm still betting on Romain Grosjean! :D

I'm actually tipping Grosjean to win the championship next year.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I've bet my avatar AGAINST him winning this year. I'm still confident! ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

dr-baker wrote:

I'm conflicted about your avatar challenge. I want to see Stramala suffer the indignity of having to wear that "Christian Horner in the nip" avatar. On the other hand, you're being so smug whenever Grosjean fails to win his first race, that I hope you lose the challenge. :P :lol: ;)
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Gvozdenovic

Post by Gvozdenovic »

Nico Rosberg, if he makes fundamental changes in character, right now he's way too nice guy to win a championship.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Gvozdenovic wrote:Nico Rosberg, if he makes fundamental changes in character, right now he's way too nice guy to win a championship.

Explain Jenson Button then.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Gvozdenovic wrote:Nico Rosberg, if he makes fundamental changes in character, right now he's way too nice guy to win a championship.

Interesting concept there.

I've never forgotten how in an interview in the 2007 official season review, Alexander Wurz (of all people) is joking around, and he literally just snaps extremely unnecessarily at him. Although I find him relatively likeable now, that always stuck with me...
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Gvozdenovic

Post by Gvozdenovic »

Jenson is more of a gentlemen than a nice kidd like Nico, there's enough edge there to score a championship in right circumstances.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

a 3ft 4 transgendered dwarf called Janice
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

I'm conflicted about your avatar challenge. I want to see Stramala suffer the indignity of having to wear that "Christian Horner in the nip" avatar. On the other hand, you're being so smug whenever Grosjean fails to win his first race, that I hope you lose the challenge. :P :lol: ;)

I am a bit smug, aren't I? I'll try not to mention it again before the end of the season then...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
IceG

Post by IceG »

What would we say now?

Rosberg - looks broken.

Hulkenberg - looks disillusioned.

Perez - looks parked.

Webber - looks like a WEC driver.

Grosjean - could just still do it.

Ricciardo, Kvyat, Verstappen - all need an engine.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Given the current state of affairs it is looking like Vettel-Hamilton straight fights for the next few years. If that Honda (and McLaren) becomes good then I will say Vandoorne might do it (and he is not even there). Or maybe one from Renault but I cannot see them winning the Championship unless they become utterly dominant. I am afraid a new WC won't come in the next few years to say the least.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Daniel Ricciardo, for Ferrari, in 2017.

Shut up, I can dream...
Everything's great.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I think we're in a situation similar to the mid to late 1980s and early 90s where you had the quartet of Prost, Senna, Piquet and Mansell effectively above everyone else. It took three of them to retire and the other to tragically die before we saw a new world champion.

Had Alonso been able to manage his career a little bit more effectively and be in a competitive car now, you'd say the group of him, Vettel and Hamilton are that current "invincibles" group with Bottas/Ricciardo/Kvyat waiting their turn and the jaded bunch of Perez, Grosjean, Hulkenberg, Massa, etc representing Berger, Patrese and the like - sometimes good, but overall fairly average. God knows where Raikkonen fits in, I guess it depends on how you view him. Button likewise.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

2016 - Marcus Ericsson - Ferrari (Raikkonen gets dropped Arnoux style)
2017 - Max Chilton - Manor (they become that good with Merc Engines... and Max's Talent, of course)
2018 - André Lotterer - Audi (no explanation needed)

With the obvious out of the way... erm... Ricciardo looks the strongest candidate...
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:I think we're in a situation similar to the mid to late 1980s and early 90s where you had the quartet of Prost, Senna, Piquet and Mansell effectively above everyone else. It took three of them to retire and the other to tragically die before we saw a new world champion.

Had Alonso been able to manage his career a little bit more effectively and be in a competitive car now, you'd say the group of him, Vettel and Hamilton are that current "invincibles" group with Bottas/Ricciardo/Kvyat waiting their turn and the jaded bunch of Perez, Grosjean, Hulkenberg, Massa, etc representing Berger, Patrese and the like - sometimes good, but overall fairly average. God knows where Raikkonen fits in, I guess it depends on how you view him. Button likewise.

The only driver that I could think of comparing Kimi to from that era would be Alboreto - a driver whose competitiveness flourished at the start of his career, followed by a protracted period where, despite flashes of brilliance, he could never quite regain the peak in performance that he achieved at the time of his championship challenge.

As you say, right now we are in a situation where Hamilton and Vettel have placed themselves in the best strategic positions - being in the two strongest teams and having established a dominant position within those teams by outperforming their team mates - and are therefore best placed to compete for the title for the next few years.

The only thing that I can see coming up in the next few years which could potentially significantly alter that dynamic would be the proposal to overhaul the regulations for 2017 - if the changes are as significant as planned, then that could potentially bring Red Bull back into play.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Salamander wrote:Daniel Ricciardo, for Ferrari, in 2017.

Shut up, I can dream...

Pascal Wehrlein, for Mercedes, in 2017

My dreams are better.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Klon wrote:
Salamander wrote:Daniel Ricciardo, for Ferrari, in 2017.

Shut up, I can dream...

Pascal Wehrlein, for Mercedes, in 2017

My dreams are better.

HWNSNBM, for Minardi, in 2017 (Giancarlo buys backs his former team over the next 12 months).

My dreams are best...
MCard LOLA
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Max Verstappen, Ferrari, 2017 or 2018.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Romain Grosjean, Haas F1, 2016.

#BelieveInFauxFerrari
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Biscione wrote:Romain Grosjean, Haas F1, 2016.

#BelieveInFauxFerrari

#GrosjezWeCan!
Just For One Day...
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Stirling Moss, Cooper-BRM, 2020

More seriously, i hope for Ricciardo.

But i'd love to see a championship battle between Verstappen and Vandoorne.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Maldonado...(in a para-lol Universe) :D :P
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I'd prefer Hulkenberg, Perez or Ricciardo far more than Grosjean or Kvyat. The former all seem like they've "earned" a shot at the title more than the latter, in my mind. Especially Perez after you consider the slap in the face he got after moving to the "championship contender" that was the 2013 McLaren. Just keeping awareness while I write that article, guys ;)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
MartinJS81

Post by MartinJS81 »

My bet is Bottas, but it's hard to see a new one soon - Nico is that bit worse than Lewis, and Ferrari look the most likely to close the gap.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

If it isn't Hamilton next year, probably Vettel.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Fetzie wrote:If it isn't Hamilton next year, probably Vettel.

Key word in the thread title is 'new', dude. ;)
Everything's great.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

WeirdKerr wrote:a 3ft 4 transgendered dwarf called Janice

Think of the weight savings!
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

After 2016, Mercedes decide they don't like Rosberg and take Ricciardo, as he's crushed Kvyat. The attempted reset of 2017 just makes Mercedes unbeatable again, and he beats Hamilton. I guess that also involves Red Bull staying. It's the best I can come up with.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Backmarker wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:a 3ft 4 transgendered dwarf called Janice

Think of the weight savings!

I believe Adrian Newey is already thinking about how a new born could pilot an F1 car.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Well it took 7 years between Alonso and Hakkinen (I think that's the record), and now that Vettel and Hamilton have won 2011-2015, with the added prospect of a Hamilton-Vettel battle for next year, are we going to have at least the same gap before we get another new champion?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Rob Dylan wrote:Well it took 7 years between Alonso and Hakkinen (I think that's the record), and now that Vettel and Hamilton have won 2011-2015, with the added prospect of a Hamilton-Vettel battle for next year, are we going to have at least the same gap before we get another new champion?

Yep, 2011-2016 would equal 1999-2004 as the record. Seriously, Rosberg, get on it....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Will Stevens
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Well it took 7 years between Alonso and Hakkinen (I think that's the record), and now that Vettel and Hamilton have won 2011-2015, with the added prospect of a Hamilton-Vettel battle for next year, are we going to have at least the same gap before we get another new champion?

Yep, 2011-2016 would equal 1999-2004 as the record. Seriously, Rosberg, get on it....

And yet between those two periods, we had 5 new world champions in 6 years (2005 to 2010: Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Button, Vettel) and for 5 different teams. An exciting, golden period of F1, I reckon.
MCard LOLA
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Valtteri Bottas. F1 Champ 2016.

Williams are doing the whole good one year, shite the next, so as they've got a bit more cash and development this year, I expect them to do well next year before returning to form & doing a Mclaren in 2017.

I can see it happening.. esp with Lewis and Nico tripping over one another more next season.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

And yet between those two periods, we had 5 new world champions in 6 years (2005 to 2010: Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Button, Vettel) and for 5 different teams. An exciting, golden period of F1, I reckon.

I agree Baker. We'll look back on that period very fondly in ten years time.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

It's hard to predcit because there's several drivers out there who could do the job but only in competitive machinery. Which at the moment is either Mercedes or Ferrari. Considering Hamilton, Rosberg and Vettel aren't leaving their teams anytime soon, that leaves Raikkonen's seat to potentially be up for grabs within the next two years...

So who could take the seat? Perez is a candidate. Ricciardo too, if RedBull finally stop threatening to leave and actually do so. Verstappen is an outside shot, as is Bottas and even Grosjean. As for up-and-coming drivers, Vandoorne seems tied-in at the fail machine that is McLaren, Palmer won't ever score a podium (oh my heart hurts) let alone a Championship and nobody else screams out at me.

Unless the teams are brought back to a near-even playing field with the top 3 or 4 teams (2010 is a case in point), you'll be lucky to even see a Williams, McLaren or RedBull at the very front again. What doesn't help is the near total dominance by Mercedes and the fact that Vettel is also a bloody good driver.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

If I look at the current drivers, a Rosberg fluke aside, I'd say Ricciardo, Grosjean and Verstappen are the only ones who could make a championship. Hulk is too long at mediocre teams right now and Bottas is not good enough I think. The other ones, just, no.

Looking at what's not in F1, Vandoorne looks the only likely choice.
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

GerhardTalger wrote:If I look at the current drivers, a Rosberg fluke aside, I'd say Ricciardo, Grosjean and Verstappen are the only ones who could make a championship. Hulk is too long at mediocre teams right now and Bottas is not good enough I think. The other ones, just, no.

I would narrow it down to Vandoorne and maybe Verstappen. I can't see anybody winning in the near future aside from Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, and perhaps Rosberg if the conditions are right.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Ricciardo will smile the field to death if he gets a title-capable car. Never count him out.
Everything's great.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

GerhardTalger wrote:If I look at the current drivers, a Rosberg fluke aside, I'd say Ricciardo, Grosjean and Verstappen are the only ones who could make a championship. Hulk is too long at mediocre teams right now and Bottas is not good enough I think. The other ones, just, no.

Grosjean's title chances depend on getting the Ferrari seat in 2017. And even then, as much as I like him, I don't see him beating Vettel to a championship. Ricciardo's chance will depend on getting a competitive car. And it's not looking good for Red Bull for the immediate future. Then again, there's a Ferrari seat becoming available in 2017. And Ricciardo has shown that he can compete with Vettel.

For Verstappen and Vandoorne, it's too early to make a prediction. They have the talent to win a championship given the right car, but with McLaren's and Red Bull's issues, both aren't short-term prospects.

If I had to select one driver as the most likely next new champion, I'd say Ricciardo.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.