2012 Spanish Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

2012 Spanish Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Londoner »

A week away from the race weekend itself, and we have news which will not impress Kostas :P

Alexander Rossi to drive in practice.

It's interesting that Caterham have turfed Kovalainen out of the car instead of Petrov. I imagine it is just a coincidence though...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DOSBoot

Re: 2012 Spanish Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by DOSBoot »

Go Rossi! :D I hope he does well enough to get a full time drive one day!
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

Bring ALL the updates! (for each team)

Right?

The beginning of the euro season usually means updates time. Some teams already testing theirs at Mugello. I enjoy the vanes by the wing mirrors on the Ferrari. Reminds me of what Force India had late 2009/all of 2010. :D
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

East Londoner wrote:Hamilton believes the battle for the win next week is wide open

[img]http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m37gw4Tcaj1r8wctqo2_500.jpg

:lol:

We likely wouldn't have said that prior to the start of this season.

East Londoner wrote:A week away from the race weekend itself, and we have news which will not impress Kostas :P

It's interesting that Caterham have turfed Kovalainen out of the car instead of Petrov. I imagine it is just a coincidence though...

Didn't van der Garde replace Petrov for FP1 in China? It's only fair for both Rossi and Petrov to get their chance.
Last edited by Pamphlet on 05 May 2012, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Actually, I'm convinced that the main contender for the win will be on the front row of the grid.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

Anyhow, looking at the Mugello times, what the drivers (and everyone else said) said and the characteristics of Catalunya, who's your money on?
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

My Money's on Massa to still be rubbish, a McLaren on Pole, Williams to be in the top 10 and to HRT still be rubbish.

Wonder if Force India has been forgiven by FOM yet? You never know, we might get a glimpse of the orange white and green cars this time in qualifying
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

pasta_maldonado wrote:My Money's on Massa to still be rubbish, a McLaren on Pole, Williams to be in the top 10 and to HRT still be rubbish.

Wonder if Force India has been forgiven by FOM yet? You never know, we might get a glimpse of the orange white and green cars this time in qualifying

Still? Massa's been great in the last 2 races.

The strategy didn't work at all in China, and he lost precious time behind Di Resta.
In Bahrain, he was held up by his own teammate when he was on the soft tyres and Alonso on the harder ones. He also had an amazing start and a great pass on Raikkonen early on, not to mention how well he defended against him (causing Kimi to damage his front wing slightly).

In both cases he had very strong pace: in China he lost it because of the strategy, whilst in Bahrain he was legitimately faster than Alonso. You can't ask him to do any better than that with something as horrible as the F2012.

As for the race itself, money's on Lotus and McLaren. Grosjean and Vettel will struggle, Webber will somehow finish 4th again. Either Kimi or Lewis will win the race, with Hamilton taking the lead in the championship in either case. Both Maccas will finish on the podium. I expect Mercedes to struggle again and for Alonso to bring it home in a better than usual position again. Only 5th this time, but the newfound pace of the Ferrari will be clear for all to see as Felipe finishes in 7th.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

East Londoner wrote:A week away from the race weekend itself, and we have news which will not impress Kostas :P

Bathplug off Rossi :evil:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

kostas22 wrote:

Haha. What's your problem with him anyway?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AdrianSutil wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

No comment.

Image Image
TheBigJ

Post by TheBigJ »

AdrianSutil wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

He's not Kovaleinen.
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

This GP already sounds like the dullest of the season. I think i know what my ROTR nomination will be.

And on the subject of Force Indias being edited out of Bahrain, wasn't the official explanation that they advertised liquor on the cars? Unless they put a certain prophet of a certain religion on the livery they ought to be safe for spain. And i'm not talking about Joseph Smith...
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:This GP already sounds like the dullest of the season. I think i know what my ROTR nomination will be.

And on the subject of Force Indias being edited out of Bahrain, wasn't the official explanation that they advertised liquor on the cars? Unless they put a certain prophet of a certain religion on the livery they ought to be safe for spain. And i'm not talking about Joseph Smith...

Just wait until Valencia comes around...
Trulli bad puns...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
Sublime_FA11C wrote:This GP already sounds like the dullest of the season. I think i know what my ROTR nomination will be.

Just wait until Valencia comes around...

I actually don't think this race will be that bad, not great but not that terrible either.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
mario

Post by mario »

I do believe that Bernie hinted at that being one particular reason why Force India might not have been shown (perhaps not entirely unlikely - McLaren, for example, removed the "Johnnie Walker" logo in previous years, when competing in Bahrain), although IIRC Force India weren't the only team to have had minimal attention paid to them in qualifying, either this time or in previous races - compared to their rivals, how often do you see any other team outside the top five major teams in qualifying?

Pamphlet wrote:As for the race itself, money's on Lotus and McLaren. Grosjean and Vettel will struggle, Webber will somehow finish 4th again. Either Kimi or Lewis will win the race, with Hamilton taking the lead in the championship in either case. Both Maccas will finish on the podium. I expect Mercedes to struggle again and for Alonso to bring it home in a better than usual position again. Only 5th this time, but the newfound pace of the Ferrari will be clear for all to see as Felipe finishes in 7th.

Kimi looks increasingly confident on the back of his success in Bahrain - he strongly believes that he can finish consistently on the podium for the rest of this season, and fancies his chances of victory in Barcelona. That said, he has conceded that Lotus are not bringing any major upgrades to Barcelona, so perhaps that might put him at a slight disadvantage (he mentioned that the lack of upgrades for Barcelona was one reason why he didn't mind not testing at Mugello, since Lotus were mainly garnering set up data). http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99360
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

mario wrote:he strongly believes that he can finish consistently on the podium for the rest of this season

So does Grosjean, mind you. If anything, that serves to hint towards how strong Lotus seem to be.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

TheBigJ wrote:He's not Kovaleinen.

True, but he is an American and if Formula 1 is to succeed in America we need a reasonable American driver and at this moment in time, he appears to be the best bet. Although he is no Scott Speed.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
mario

Post by mario »

Pamphlet wrote:
mario wrote:he strongly believes that he can finish consistently on the podium for the rest of this season

So does Grosjean, mind you. If anything, that serves to hint towards how strong Lotus seem to be.

Lotus have indeed made good progress compared to last year, and moreover so far they have actually been able to keep up with their rivals rather than fall back (if anything, they are gaining ground). In one critical respect, the car is the polar opposite of its predecessor - it is reportedly very easy to set up, with the team having to make very few adjustments from one circuit to the next for them to perform, and the aero parts are performing much more predictably and consistently on track.

Faustus wrote:

True, but he is an American and if Formula 1 is to succeed in America we need a reasonable American driver and at this moment in time, he appears to be the best bet. Although he is no Scott Speed.

You've left that comment open to being interpreted in very different ways...

On a series note, you are right that there are not that many drivers from the US currently competing in Europe that are reasonably competitive and would be potentially eligible for a super licence - there are no American drivers in the GP2 series (I think the only American ever to have driven in GP2 was Scott Speed), and over in the FR 3.5 series, the only other currently active American national is Jake Rosenzweig, although he is virtually half British (he was born in London, still lives part of the year in London, and spent most of his early career in the UK and Europe). There do not seem to be that many drivers from the US who wish to compete in the European series (and it is manly the European series that the current teams look to for up and coming drivers), so to a certain extent there aren't really that many alternatives to turn to.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Faustus wrote:

You've left that comment open to being interpreted in very different ways...

On a series note, you are right that there are not that many drivers from the US currently competing in Europe that are reasonably competitive and would be potentially eligible for a super licence - there are no American drivers in the GP2 series (I think the only American ever to have driven in GP2 was Scott Speed), and over in the FR 3.5 series, the only other currently active American national is Jake Rosenzweig, although he is virtually half British (he was born in London, still lives part of the year in London, and spent most of his early career in the UK and Europe). There do not seem to be that many drivers from the US who wish to compete in the European series (and it is manly the European series that the current teams look to for up and coming drivers), so to a certain extent there aren't really that many alternatives to turn to.[/quote]

I certainly did it leave it open to interpretation. For all his faults, Scott Speed was a nice guy but perhaps out of his depth. He struggled in his season and a half with Toro Rosso and Red Bull had a lot of drivers at a time, so even though he had some reasonable results (although no points) it was probably bound to happen sooner or later. Without Red Bull he wouldn't have made it to Formula 1 and didn't have any sponsorship to get him a drive elesewhere.
I think Rossi already has a Super Licence, doesn't he? Didn't his Twitter account used to say something like 'only American driver with a Super Licence'?
Rossi might be the only choice for a couple of years, as there are some potentially decent drivers coming through.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Rossi is doomed to rejectdom because he's driving for Caterham...
Trulli bad puns...
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

Isn't any Champion of the premier open wheel class of America ie: indycars eligible for a super license?
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Sponge wrote:Isn't any Champion of the premier open wheel class of America ie: indycars eligible for a super license?

Trouble is there are no Americans winning it!
Message me on Discord.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Shadaza wrote:
Sponge wrote:Isn't any Champion of the premier open wheel class of America ie: indycars eligible for a super license?

Trouble is there are no Americans winning it!

Yeah, and the only Americans in the last few years who've won it (Sam Hornish Jr) or come close (AJ Allmendinger) are both wasting their talent in NASCAR. And I don't think Hornish would've transferred that well to F1 anyway...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

I think Ryan Hunter-Reay could qualify for a super license. He has won a race in the previous two seasons, and has shown he's competitive. Does that qualify him to drive on Friday, or at least test?
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
mario

Post by mario »

Faustus wrote:I certainly did it leave it open to interpretation. For all his faults, Scott Speed was a nice guy but perhaps out of his depth. He struggled in his season and a half with Toro Rosso and Red Bull had a lot of drivers at a time, so even though he had some reasonable results (although no points) it was probably bound to happen sooner or later. Without Red Bull he wouldn't have made it to Formula 1 and didn't have any sponsorship to get him a drive elesewhere.
I think Rossi already has a Super Licence, doesn't he? Didn't his Twitter account used to say something like 'only American driver with a Super Licence'?
Rossi might be the only choice for a couple of years, as there are some potentially decent drivers coming through.

You're right that Rossi already has a super licence - he was issued with one after completing a test for the BMW-Sauber team as his prize for winning the Formula BMW series, and so far seems to be the only American driver who still has one. I mentioned Jake Rosenzweig as I think he is probably the only other up and coming American driver in a European racing series who could become eligible for a super licence via his participation in the FR 3.5 series since, as you point out yourself, most of the other young American drivers are currently not in a high enough series to qualify.

The exact clause in the regulations is slightly looser - any driver who has "been classified in the first 4 of the final classification of the Indycar IRL series within the previous 2 years" would be eligible, although if that means the top four championship finishers, that still wouldn't include any American drivers (the highest ranked American driver in 2011 and 2010 was Ryan Hunter-Reay, and in both years he was in 7th place).
That said, F1000X, Ryan Hunter-Reay would potentially be eligible for a super licence if he took part in a test session at some point this year, since the FIA are prepared to issue a super licence to a driver who has demonstrated that they are capable of driving a single seater car competitively and safely (provided that it is backed up with a test session).
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

mario wrote:
Faustus wrote:I certainly did it leave it open to interpretation. For all his faults, Scott Speed was a nice guy but perhaps out of his depth. He struggled in his season and a half with Toro Rosso and Red Bull had a lot of drivers at a time, so even though he had some reasonable results (although no points) it was probably bound to happen sooner or later. Without Red Bull he wouldn't have made it to Formula 1 and didn't have any sponsorship to get him a drive elesewhere.

You're right that Rossi already has a super licence - he was issued with one after completing a test for the BMW-Sauber team as his prize for winning the Formula BMW series, and so far seems to be the only American driver who still has one. I mentioned Jake Rosenzweig as I think he is probably the only other up and coming American driver in a European racing series who could become eligible for a super licence via his participation in the FR 3.5 series since, as you point out yourself, most of the other young American drivers are currently not in a high enough series to qualify.

I think Alexander Rossi is a pretty decent bet for an American driver in F1. He is a talented driver who won the BMW World Final announcing himself in Europe. He then had a pretty good rookie year in FR3.5 last year (finished 3rd). Being American in these times (when F1 has announced 2 races in the States) is the 2nd most sought innate characteristic in F1 after being a Woman and just edging being Chinese. I think that, regardless of what happens this year (he was a bit disappointing in the first FR3.5 weekend), he will drive in F1 in the near future with results that will depend on his chosen team although I think he has the talent to have a successful career.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Rossi doesn't have the mindset to succeed in F1. He's stroppy, indecisive. He lacks mettle. Drivers who lack conviction never win championships, you can see that from WRC for example. Would he win a race in a Red Bull? Perhaps. But in the race for the championship Vettel would crush him.

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

kostas22 wrote:Rossi doesn't have the mindset to succeed in F1. He's stroppy, indecisive. He lacks mettle. Drivers who lack conviction never win championships, you can see that from WRC for example. Would he win a race in a Red Bull? Perhaps. But in the race for the championship Vettel would crush him.

I see you think highly of him. :roll:

I think he might make it. To win a championship? That will depend on many things...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I doubt he'll make it much beyond the midfield, if he even gets that far. Regardless of anything else, he just seems to lack the raw pace.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

I hope he a) gets a F1 drive and b) Is actually fairly successful.

It's about time America gave us a half-decent driver. Scott Speed was rather poor and before him we had Michael Andretti, and we all know how that turned up. American drivers in the past have been fairly successful (Mario Andretti for obvious example), but the future looks a bit bleak if Rossi doesn't make the cut.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

AdrianSutil wrote:I hope he a) gets a F1 drive and b) Is actually fairly successful.

It's about time America gave us a half-decent driver. Scott Speed was rather poor and before him we had Michael Andretti, and we all know how that turned up. American drivers in the past have been fairly successful (Mario Andretti for obvious example), but the future looks a bit bleak if Rossi doesn't make the cut.

Back in Mario's day, and even Micheal's, there were lots of talented American drivers in CART. Nowadays though, there is less American talent in IndyCar, and what's there won't come to race in Europe. I guess American drivers would rather race in NASCRAP or IndyCar, not come to Europe, work their way up through all the categories, and they maybe be in contention for a drive at a HRT.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:I hope he a) gets a F1 drive and b) Is actually fairly successful.

Back in Mario's day, and even Micheal's, there were lots of talented American drivers in CART. Nowadays though, there is less American talent in IndyCar, and what's there won't come to race in Europe. I guess American drivers would rather race in NASCRAP or IndyCar, not come to Europe, work their way up through all the categories, and they maybe be in contention for a drive at a HRT.

If you are going to be hopeless, it is better to be it at home instead of abroad! :lol:
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Well, to the joy of The Whole Spanish Press, the Spanish GP will be exciting for once, since it will finally showcase the real pecking order in F1 this year. Am I going to watch it? No, I'll be with my girlfriend.

And the less said about the Valencia GP, the better.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:

If you are going to be hopeless, it is better to be it at home instead of abroad! :lol:

Plus, working your way up the ladder in the US series would probably be a cheaper proposition compared to the equivalent European series, not to mention that it'd probably be easier to find financial backing in the US than Europe at the moment.

Back to the topic of the race itself - Pirelli have announced that they intend to go against their recent strategy by bringing the hard and soft tyres to Barcelona, so there will be two steps in the tyre compound rather than just one, to encourage the teams to take more risks with their strategies. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99433
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

mario wrote:Back to the topic of the race itself - Pirelli have announced that they intend to go against their recent strategy by bringing the hard and soft tyres to Barcelona, so there will be two steps in the tyre compound rather than just one, to encourage the teams to take more risks with their strategies. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99433

Didn't Pirelli bring the soft and hard compounds to Barcelona last year as well?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Wizzie wrote:
mario wrote:Back to the topic of the race itself - Pirelli have announced that they intend to go against their recent strategy by bringing the hard and soft tyres to Barcelona, so there will be two steps in the tyre compound rather than just one, to encourage the teams to take more risks with their strategies. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99433

Didn't Pirelli bring the soft and hard compounds to Barcelona last year as well?

Anything to make the race more interesting, I suppose. I'm not sure anything can make the Spanish GP exciting other than rain.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

tristan1117 wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

Anything to make the race more interesting, I suppose. I'm not sure anything can make the Spanish GP exciting other than rain.

Today's weather forecast for Sunday is 60% rain. I expect no clouds on the horizon and a scorching heat then...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

DanielPT wrote:
tristan1117 wrote:
Wizzie wrote:[quo

Today's weather forecast for Sunday is 60% rain. I expect no clouds on the horizon and a scorching heat then...

If Spanish weathermen are as accurate as the Spanish press then you are probably right.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.