Another wiki!

Archive for the three above subforums
AndreaModa

Re: Another wiki!

Post by AndreaModa »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:Folks,

I recently updated the F1RWRS teams stats page, and I'm now thinking of doing the drivers page too. Judging by the number of edits to the page and it's general current state, shall I assume the idea of putting the number of tests next to each driver was a waste of time and should I remove the column entirely? I'm inclined to do so because it's obviously not been used and with space limited in the table, it could be put to better use for other things. I just wanted to check with any interested parties before I do so to not tread on any toes.

Secondly, mainly for the attention of RonDenisDeletraz, I have overhauled the Autodynamics team page and given it an infobox, results table and an up-to-date bio. There are a few missing details in the infobox though which would be good to fill in, and also a logo too. Does anyone fancy coming up with something? (I'm thinking of Ataxia, Pasta, Biscione, Nuppiz or one of you chaps handy with a brush tool.) RDD, if you see this, do you mind adding the missing information yourself, or posting it here for someone else to put into the wiki?

1)That does seem to be the best thing to do. The wiki is not high-traffic enough, unfortunately, for that information to be of any real use anyway. Dr-baker, and other wiki-shy users involved in the PMMF, you may not be a computer or wiki code whizz, but I don't doubt for a second you're not capable of reading a webpage. The wiki is such a vital, important and interesting tool, that having a read really can be beneficial.

Yeah that's what I thought, it was a good idea but a bit difficult to keep on top of particularly as not everyone uses the wiki. I'm going through updating a few drivers first as keeping on top of the stats helps if we have up to date driver/team profiles but will get round to the driver list at some point.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Is this the place to ask for permission to edit the wiki because I want to edit my teams page here…
http://f1alternate.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Reb_Lelmas_Racing ?
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

roblomas52 wrote:Is this the place to ask for permission to edit the wiki because I want to edit my teams page here…

F1 Rejects Wiki wrote:Reb Lelmas Racing

Reb Lelmas Racing are a racing team founded exclusively by the thought of lel. The team is formed from the toppest of lels, and currently compete in Formula One Rejects World Lel Series, Internation Formula Lel Challenge, and F1 Rejects Super Lel Cup.

Hey, chill Ro Blo Mas!!! I'm sure it's just people being light-hearted about stuff, rather than personal...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

dr-baker wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:Is this the place to ask for permission to edit the wiki because I want to edit my teams page here…

Reb Lelmas Racing are a racing team founded exclusively by the thought of lel. The team is formed from the toppest of lels, and currently compete in Formula One Rejects World Lel Series, Internation Formula Lel Challenge, and F1 Rejects Super Lel Cup.

Hey, chill Ro Blo Mas!!! I'm sure it's just people being light-hearted about stuff, rather than personal...

Besides, that wiki entry is already contending for top lel of the year ;)

In all seriousness, just leave it be. It's just a lighthearted joke.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

go_Rubens wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Besides, that wiki entry is already contending for top lel of the year ;)

In all seriousness, just leave it be. It's just a lighthearted joke.

Plus, if it bothers you that much, you could just tell yourself, "Hey that is not what my team name is, therefore it's not my team, therefore not my problem." Right?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Hello everybody,

A project that has been rumoured for a long time but never been put in motion...has finally been put in motion.

We are only days away from successfully moving our wiki away from free hosting and to fully paid up F1 Rejects Membership owned service, with less downtime, more control, and extra features coming along.

However, there are a couple of issues with this, which I'll address here.

1. Future edits on f1alternate.shoutwiki.com
Due to the time the XML dump was generated by shoutwiki staff, the most recent edits won't be carried over automatically. This means we'll need to keep tabs on pages that have been revised. The last successful edit stored by the XML dump was by V8fan12, at 02:16 on 21 March 2014, on the Main Page.

Everything after this will need to be manually copy/pasted into the appropriate pages. If you plan to make a wiki edit, perhaps it might be worth considering holding off for a few days if it isn't urgent. I'll keep track of a list of pages here - if you update anything after the time this post was first made, make a post in this thread so I can add it to the to-do list.

LIST OF ALTERED PAGES POST XML DUMP
2017 F1RWRS season
1980 rFactor Alternate Formula One season
2004 Alternate NASCAR season

2. User Accounts
Unfortunately, ShoutWiki doesn't give away SQL dumps, which means the current user database will be lost in the process of switching service. This won't happen again after this switch, as we'll be in possession of our own user list from this point onwards. What this does mean is everyone will need to register to the new service. Don't do it yet however - some configuration problems mean the current installation of MediaWiki is going to be wiped and replaced with a fresh copy. If you register now, your user account will be removed permanently and you'll have to re-register yet again afterwards.

3. Image scraping
While I've been able to automate some of the file transfer process (all the flags currently on the wiki, that have been uploaded up to the point this post was first made are already copied over), there are still 571 images on the wiki that can't be obtained by automatic web scraping, thanks to shoutwiki locking out downloading of entire directories. This means they'll need to be done one by one...again....
The (sort of) good news is, half of the process can be automated. All I need is a notepad list of the URLs of all these 571 images. I know that sounds like a pretty big task. Frankly, it is. What I really need is a community effort to somehow collate all these links together into a single list. Once that's done, I can run a script to download them all in one go straight to the appropriate place in the new wiki, and they'll be ready to go.
Again, please don't start saving images yourself and then uploading them to the website at the moment - anything that is there currently will be wiped irreversibly and all your efforts will have been in vain. But please contribute to the list!
Here's a Google Docs file that can be used to put all the links up - I've done a few just to show you an example of the file paths I'm looking for.

That's about all there is to it now. We're on the verge of starting an exciting new chapter in PMMF history. User Empowerment. Control over our own resources. The future is here.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Biscione wrote:fully paid up F1 Rejects Membership owned service
Bye, guys :lol:
Trump 2016
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

Well that is just great, anyway bye :lol:
Officially Retired
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Dark77 wrote:
Biscione wrote:fully paid up F1 Rejects Membership owned service
Bye, guys :lol:

He means that the hosting fees have already been paid, you muppet! :P
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Word of advice: Don't go to google docs on your phone :lol:

Just one question, though - what will become of the F1R Shoutwiki?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Aerospeed wrote:Word of advice: Don't go to google docs on your phone :lol:

Just one question, though - what will become of the F1R Shoutwiki?

Relic of the past. The backup will be hosted on a different private server I have configurationg access to as well.

Image Image
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

People, we have moved the wiki into new server set up by Biscione

http://formularejects.com/wiki/Main_Page

From now, use this
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Nice! I particularly like the race centre! Awesome stuff!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

Can you please delete User:Matt121 and its talk page, thanks
Officially Retired
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

HawkAussie wrote:Can you please delete User:Matt121 and its talk page, thanks

No.

Wiki page deletions are only used for spam or inappropriate content. If you wish to merge pages together, move content from the former page to the current page and insert a redirect. Or just leave it alone.

Image Image
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

I have to say the new font grates on my eyes. Is there any way to change it to be the same as the shoutwiki font?
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

I love the new stuff. Maybe F1RWRS races could be streamed with the Race Center? And the idea of a forum there for PMMF events I actually kind of like as well. I say it's very good. Nothing particularly bothers me.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

go_Rubens wrote:Maybe F1RWRS races could be streamed with the Race Center?

I believe that was the intention, yes. :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Salamander wrote:

Awesome! I quite like that idea!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

go_Rubens wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Awesome! I quite like that idea!

Salamander is correct. That's the entire reason for the existence of the Race Center. To stream F1RWRS races, with the race chat alongside it. It's still in alpha phase, there are some extra features I might implement in there (such as quali results, live list of DNFs, etc) by the time F1RWRS comes around. The FRENCH season will allow me to test out a few things before it gets to its final version.

Also, the website should be updated a lot in the summer, when I have more time to build it. Right now it's just bare functionality with no advanced features or any kind of design to it.

Anyway, a wiki-specific update;

1. Broken Templates
There were previously some broken templates on the new wiki, this was due to a php extension problem which I have now fixed - which also affected citiations from not working, which was also fixed in the same patch.

2. Image scraping
Some good progress has been made here, we are up to the letter E. The more people that contribute to this list, the faster we can get all the images back online. Just remember, we don't need flag images in this list. Which means we can skip most of F, as anything beginning with *Flag of...* is already in the new wiki. But please, keep going everyone!

3. Font
I was hoping to make our wiki more unique and give it a touch of uniqueness. However, so far some of the fonts used haven't been too well recieved. Titillium and Museo were both rejected, and now we are currently using Montserrat. If you don't like it, then give the feedback. I will change back to default font if enough people desire to do so.

Image Image
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Is it safe now to create an account in the new wiki? :)

(Also, I'm sorry for the "Is the drama over yet" remark on the IRC. There was a big confusion about the other part of the FormulaRejects site and I didn't read this thread until last night. Although probably regardless I've not returning to the IRC, personally and op-enforced)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

FMecha wrote:Is it safe now to create an account in the new wiki? :)

(Also, I'm sorry for the "Is the drama over yet" remark on the IRC. There was a big confusion about the other part of the FormulaRejects site and I didn't read this thread until last night. Although probably regardless I've not returning to the IRC, personally and op-enforced)

Yes, because if a renistall happens, everything is wiped. The wiki is running, so logically it's also time to register for an account.

Image Image
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

Can we also please locked the F1 Alternate shoutwiki to not be edited forever.
Officially Retired
Turbogirl

Post by Turbogirl »

Biscione wrote:3. Font
I was hoping to make our wiki more unique and give it a touch of uniqueness. However, so far some of the fonts used haven't been too well recieved. Titillium and Museo were both rejected, and now we are currently using Montserrat. If you don't like it, then give the feedback. I will change back to default font if enough people desire to do so.

May I ask what fonts are available in general? I personally prefer easy to read fonts like Arial or Verdana (pretty much the same), but Garamond, Book Antiqua or Palatino could also look nice and fit more for a "serious" encyclopedia, because these fonts are generally used in books.

If you like it a bit more unique, but not too estranged, try Estrangelo Edessa, Cambria or Trebuchet MS (if the wiki allows those fonts). As long as you don't use Times New Roman, because everyone does that. :)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Personally, I'd suggest Calibri. It's fairly generic, but does stand out a little bit.
Everything's great.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

I find the current font more than acceptable, but going with Tahoma will always get me hot and bothered.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Klon wrote:I find the current font more than acceptable, but going with Tahoma will always get me hot and bothered.

Yeah, I think Montserrat is absolutely fine right now.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

A security module in Apache was previously blocking any attempts to reference "Casino" (as in the corner in Monaco), I had raised this with the webhosts and it's now been whitelisted. Please post any more bugs you encounter in your travels in this thread - it's now my responsibility (and to some extent within my power) to correct them, and I can't know if something is wrong if you don't submit me a bug report :P

Image Image
Turbogirl

Post by Turbogirl »

Biscione wrote:A security module in Apache was previously blocking any attempts to reference "Casino" (as in the corner in Monaco), I had raised this with the webhosts and it's now been whitelisted. Please post any more bugs you encounter in your travels in this thread - it's now my responsibility (and to some extent within my power) to correct them, and I can't know if something is wrong if you don't submit me a bug report :P

I visited the wiki today and had a look around. I don't have an account there, but I accidentally clicked on the "Edit" button on the main page and the wiki would have let me edit without requiring a registration or log in. I didn't edit anything, in case you're wondering, but I was surprised to see the button work for me at all. I does so on other wiki pages as well.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Turbogirl wrote:
Biscione wrote:A security module in Apache was previously blocking any attempts to reference "Casino" (as in the corner in Monaco), I had raised this with the webhosts and it's now been whitelisted. Please post any more bugs you encounter in your travels in this thread - it's now my responsibility (and to some extent within my power) to correct them, and I can't know if something is wrong if you don't submit me a bug report :P

I visited the wiki today and had a look around. I don't have an account there, but I accidentally clicked on the "Edit" button on the main page and the wiki would have let me edit without requiring a registration or log in. I didn't edit anything, in case you're wondering, but I was surprised to see the button work for me at all. I does so on other wiki pages as well.

This is the nature of wikis - "anyone can edit" - and is the default of MediaWiki. I won't change it unless it starts to be abused.

Image Image
Turbogirl

Post by Turbogirl »

Biscione wrote:
Turbogirl wrote:

This is the nature of wikis - "anyone can edit" - and is the default of MediaWiki. I won't change it unless it starts to be abused.

Ah, okay. Just shows that I don't know too much about wikis in general. :)
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

New templates to separate non-canon stuff with the canon ones: full page, for a section.

Usage: {{noncanon}} or {{noncanon-section}} :)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

FMecha wrote:New templates to separate non-canon stuff with the canon ones: full page, for a section.

Usage: {{noncanon}} or {{noncanon-section}} :)

These templates don't adhere to modern standards (fixed width instead of percentage width), and also the colour contrast isn't quite right (the red background is too bright and washes away the text), so I've modified them to improve it.

All wiki discussion will move to a new thread dedicated to our FormulaRejects.com website here.

Image Image
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Biscione wrote:All wiki discussion will move to a new thread dedicated to our FormulaRejects.com website here.

And with that, this threads usefulness is at an end, so I'm locking it.
Everything's great.