The F1Rejects Christmas Thread 2012

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Ataxia
Not Important

The F1Rejects Christmas Thread 2012

Post by Ataxia »

Seeing as it's December now, I thought I may as well make this. We can share our festive period's hopes, dreams, and all other nonsense.

Now, for my Christmas predicament. I'm pretty stumped what to buy my Dad. He's one of those Dads who hates all the novelty crap that comes in those magazines you get through your door, you know, like aprons that sing "Highway to Hell" or whatever. Plus, I'm a student so obviously money's at a premium.

If anyone's got any good ideas, please throw them out there
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The F1Rejects Christmas Thread 2012

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Has anyone else put up their Christmas tree/paraphernalia yet? I've spent literally the entire day putting mine up with the family :)

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Now, for my Christmas predicament. I'm pretty stumped what to buy my Dad. He's one of those Dads who hates all the novelty crap that comes in those magazines you get through your door, you know, like aprons that sing "Highway to Hell" or whatever. Plus, I'm a student so obviously money's at a premium.

How about a bottle of something relatively cheap? :)

As a British person, I would be interested in hearing about Christmas traditions for those of you from around the world!
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

For those of you that do not want to read my Xmas rant below, please skip to next members post...

No decorations from me. Not even a crap tree. No advent calendar. Hate Xmas songs. Hate Xmas shopping. No money. Can't even pay my rent. Girlfriend and me argue every day. Won't even have a roast on Xmas day. Won't see my dad. Won't see my nan. Won't see any of my (1) mates. Couldn't care. Xmas depresses me with all the 'happy family' bullshit. Bah humbug.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AdrianSutil wrote:For those of you that do not want to read my Xmas rant below, please skip to next members post...

No decorations from me. Not even a crap tree. No advent calendar. Hate Xmas songs. Hate Xmas shopping. No money. Can't even pay my rent. Girlfriend and me argue every day. Won't even have a roast on Xmas day. Won't see my dad. Won't see my nan. Won't see any of my (1) mates. Couldn't care. Xmas depresses me with all the 'happy family' bullshit. Bah humbug.

Give me your address and I'll send you a bottle of red or something...I'm not leaving a man behind at this time of year.

pasta_maldonado wrote:How about a bottle of something relatively cheap? :)

That's a VERY good idea, I'll see what I can find for him.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

If he's any good with his fingers and likes cars/planes/whatever maybe you could get him an Airfix starter set with the paints and glue etc inside? We're doing that this year for my other half's Dad! :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

We have recently got a kitten, so we are delaying putting up decorations for as long as possible!
Otherwise 'tis the season of crying wallets and many "Amazon" visits.
Message me on Discord.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Finally out of the debts (let's just say it was a lot), so finally it'll be a somewhat celebrated Christmas, despite my family being shattered, as only I am helping my father out while my older brothers are freeloaders.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
whatisdeletrazdoing

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Seeing as it's December now, I thought I may as well make this. We can share our festive period's hopes, dreams, and all other nonsense.

Now, for my Christmas predicament. I'm pretty stumped what to buy my Dad. He's one of those Dads who hates all the novelty crap that comes in those magazines you get through your door, you know, like aprons that sing "Highway to Hell" or whatever. Plus, I'm a student so obviously money's at a premium.

Is he an F1 fan? If so, get him a F1 coffee table book, they're loads of them on amazon for below retail.

I reccomend The Art of The Formula One Racing Car - best $20 I ever spent!
http://www.amazon.com/Art-Formula-1-Race-Car/dp/0760337314/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354477804&sr=8-1&keywords=Art+of+the+formula+one+car
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmaokoen/ Lego F1 Cars
CarlosFerreira wrote:I am vaguely annoyed by Vettel.
14 Hundred Hours

Post by 14 Hundred Hours »

My dad sent me an email with his Amazon wish-list attached... when I was sitting opposite him at the table. At least I know what to get him!
Timo Glock für Bürgermeister.
Also I'm a girl. Maybe I shoulda made this clear waaay back to avoid confusion!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

The only thing that i will do is as much as i can eat :P

But first we have Sinterklaas - which is actually a literal translation from Santa Clause - on 6 dec, who brings presents to the children. We care more about this than christmas. It's only recently that we start to slightly care about Christmas.
We still prefer the old child-friend that rides a white horse and has lot of slaves from african descent in ridiculous clothes working for him. He also comes with a steamboat from Spain, which is a lot cooler than flying a sledge from the North Pole. In fact, the economical crisis in Spain is perfect to tell kids why he hasn't brought as much presents recently. This also means a lot of chocholate, and other candy, preferably in themed figures.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This wrote:The only thing that i will do is as much as i can eat :P

But first we have Sinterklaas - which is actually a literal translation from Santa Clause - on 6 dec, who brings presents to the children. We care more about this than christmas. It's only recently that we start to slightly care about Christmas.
We still prefer the old child-friend that rides a white horse and has lot of slaves from african descent in ridiculous clothes working for him. He also comes with a steamboat from Spain, which is a lot cooler than flying a sledge from the North Pole. In fact, the economical crisis in Spain is perfect to tell kids why he hasn't brought as much presents recently. This also means a lot of chocholate, and other candy, preferably in themed figures.

And of course the university students hanging around secondary schools in the morning, ready to lob flour and eggs at unwary students who didn't prepare a sufficient amount of coins to donate. I got through unharmed. My friend Damien wasn't so lucky.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Seeing as it's December now, I thought I may as well make this. We can share our festive period's hopes, dreams, and all other nonsense.

Do as I do, and buy a big box of Wine Gums :lol: Alternatively, if you do a subject like metalwork or woodwork at school, make something in one of those subjects (I'm making my mum a candle sconce in case your interested)
TORA! TORA! TORA!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

As will I. Turkey sandwiches for the next couple of days after Christmas as well will go down nicely.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

tommykl wrote:

And of course the university students hanging around secondary schools in the morning, ready to lob flour and eggs at unwary students who didn't prepare a sufficient amount of coins to donate. I got through unharmed. My friend Damien wasn't so lucky.

Wait, what? :lol: How come i never knew of this, was my secondary school really so boring that university studends didn't bother to show up? (wel actually, it was quite a boring school full of boring people, the only succesful person that went to that school is Georges Leekens, not really something to be proud of :? )
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This wrote:
tommykl wrote:

Wait, what? :lol: How come i never knew of this, was my secondary school really so boring that university studends didn't bother to show up? (wel actually, it was quite a boring school full of boring people, the only succesful person that went to that school is Georges Leekens, not really something to be proud of :? )

It only happens in Liège, Brussels, Namur and Mons ;)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

AdrianSutil wrote:No decorations from me. Not even a crap tree. No advent calendar. Hate Xmas songs.

Too right.

AdrianSutil wrote:Hate Xmas shopping.

Don't have to do it.

AdrianSutil wrote:No money.

Not much, but enough.

AdrianSutil wrote:Can't even pay my rent.

Don't have to.

AdrianSutil wrote:Girlfriend and me argue every day.

Don't have one.

AdrianSutil wrote:Won't even have a roast on Xmas day.

Will do, but with none of that significance attached.

AdrianSutil wrote:Won't see my dad.

Ditto. Dead for almost 20 years.

AdrianSutil wrote:Won't see my nan.

Will do, but will be cut off from the internet to do so.

AdrianSutil wrote:Won't see any of my (1) mates.

Will do, but only after the whole malarkey is over, and that won't take long.

AdrianSutil wrote:Couldn't care. Xmas depresses me with all the 'happy family' bullshit. Bah humbug.

Overall, correct.

James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

AdrianSutil wrote:For those of you that do not want to read my Xmas rant below, please skip to next members post...

Adrian Scrooge
-*:-
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Incredibly Long Angry Rant Warning!

I dispise Christmas. It is a terrible, miserible time of year. It is so bathplugging fake. All that "Spend time with Family" baloney. You shouldn't need a holiday in order to spend time with your family. And there's members of my family I really hate, so why should I be forced to be nice to them just because its Christmas? Oh and buy them presents to boot! Jesus was born (not really, he was probably born in August, but we have to steal the day from the pagans!) so lets buy useless crap even though we're in a recession! And send stupid cards to people we never talk to otherwise! That's not fake or shallow at all! So now I have to blow $200 on useless crap for spoiled family members that have everything, because God Forbid you don't fall in line and spend spend spend, you live in hell for months!

And my family doesn't understand the concept of "Don't get me anything". I'm a grown man dammit, and if I want something I save my money and buy it myself because this is America dammit! I hate surprises, and all the clothes you buy me are awful (I have to wear suits to work and am very picky) and the only thing I want are parts for the car in my avatar and you say thats too expensive and I'll kill myself, so bathplug off and don't buy me anything! But still they do. And right to goodwill it goes.

And where the hell did Halloween, Thanksgiving, and New Year's go? Christmas honestly started over here about October 10th. No bathplugging lie. And it will go until about January 20th or so. Why? What is the purpose? Why do we need four radio stations (regular not satilette) that went all Christmas music 24/7, as early as November 20th? Theres only so many Christmas songs, how many times can you listen to it? And why 4? Why do those of us who like real music have to suffer? And a bloody Christmas special every night? Enough!

And this isn't even touching on the commercials! Just look at car commercials alone: Acura wants you to "be reasonable" by paying 10k more for a rebadged Honda. Lexus wants you to not go on Pinterest but go outside, which will apparently make you want a Lexus. Chevy says not only is Santa real, he's a mid-level dealer with a high quota! And Mercedes is even better, as there built by Santa! Really? Really? Are luxury car buyers children?

I fought it off as long as I could, I really did, but I got married two weeks ago, and the wife is a Christmas nut, so of course we got many useless decorations as presents. And now it looks like Christmas threw up all over our appartment. Luckily I signed up to work Xmas Eve, so no annoying fake dinners for me! And considering there are nice little men in white coats here to see me, I might go with them now, they say its a happy place there......

End Rant

Oh yea, and Bah Bathplugging Humbug!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Considering all but 5 of the TV music channels started playing non-stop Christmas songs since about the 20th ( :!: ) of November, I've already had enough of it.

And my Christmas holiday will consist of constant maths revision/past papers. :|

And I have practically no money. Suddenly, splashing out £90 last month (Stone Roses ticket and UCAS application) doesn't seem like such a wise move after all. :evil:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I will counter some of the naysayers, and declare my reasons for why I quite like Christmas.

I'll begin with why it's more important to me now. For a start, not living at home anymore means that I've seen my family once between the end of September and now. It's expensive to get the train from here to King's Cross, then get the tube to Paddington, then get the train to Bath and then get the bus home...and it's also a pain in the arse. My dad has work off to come and collect me and my things for Christmas, and I'll get to see all my family and friends.

You don't HAVE to buy into the whole Christmas shebang; listening to Wizzard non-stop is not a prerequisite of any Christmas break. I just want to enjoy myself with those that are closest to me. Don't like the selection of things on the radio? Turn it off and plug your iPod into the stereo. Don't like the Christmas specials? Don't watch them.

I don't have a problem with decorations. I don't personally put any up (in fact, I've had a lot of fun rearranging the "Merry Christmas" sign in the kitchen to "Merry Shitcrams" and other such nonsensical things) but I can see that people associate the time of year with a certain mood that comes with draping their living rooms with tinsel and glorifying the actions of a slightly gropey older relative with mistletoe. I don't really dig baubles; I don't really see the purpose of them but hey, it's Christmas. If you want to tie big red balls onto a tree, go for it.

Some families like to decorate the tree together. My family is not one of these, as my dad is very much the carer and protector of it. It's one of those plastic ones which you have to painstakingly put up yourself, and thus every year this leads my dad to suddenly develop temporary Tourette's as he's inevitably put Branch F into Slot K or whatever. And I've missed this. I've missed the swearing every time he gets poked in the face by an errant 'twig' whilst I'm watching Soccer Saturday. I would much prefer the plastic trees anyway, as it's come from plants that have been dead for millions of years. The real things are a pain in the ass, especially when it sheds it's needles like a stressed hedgehog.

The one thing I hate about Christmas is during the dinner. I will, without fail, get offered Brussels sprouts and I will, without fail, turn them down. However, I mustn't dwell too much on that one bad aspect.

So yes, I quite like Christmas. And it's sequel, New Year is quite good too. Though it's recommended to be a little plastered at Christmas, for New Year it's the LAW.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:I will counter some of the naysayers, and declare my reasons for why I quite like Christmas.

I'll begin with why it's more important to me now. For a start, not living at home anymore means that I've seen my family once between the end of September and now. It's expensive to get the train from here to King's Cross, then get the tube to Paddington, then get the train to Bath and then get the bus home...and it's also a pain in the arse. My dad has work off to come and collect me and my things for Christmas, and I'll get to see all my family and friends.

You don't HAVE to buy into the whole Christmas shebang; listening to Wizzard non-stop is not a prerequisite of any Christmas break. I just want to enjoy myself with those that are closest to me. Don't like the selection of things on the radio? Turn it off and plug your iPod into the stereo. Don't like the Christmas specials? Don't watch them.

I don't have a problem with decorations. I don't personally put any up (in fact, I've had a lot of fun rearranging the "Merry Christmas" sign in the kitchen to "Merry Shitcrams" and other such nonsensical things) but I can see that people associate the time of year with a certain mood that comes with draping their living rooms with tinsel and glorifying the actions of a slightly gropey older relative with mistletoe. I don't really dig baubles; I don't really see the purpose of them but hey, it's Christmas. If you want to tie big red balls onto a tree, go for it.

Some families like to decorate the tree together. My family is not one of these, as my dad is very much the carer and protector of it. It's one of those plastic ones which you have to painstakingly put up yourself, and thus every year this leads my dad to suddenly develop temporary Tourette's as he's inevitably put Branch F into Slot K or whatever. And I've missed this. I've missed the swearing every time he gets poked in the face by an errant 'twig' whilst I'm watching Soccer Saturday. I would much prefer the plastic trees anyway, as it's come from plants that have been dead for millions of years. The real things are a pain in the ass, especially when it sheds it's needles like a stressed hedgehog.

The one thing I hate about Christmas is during the dinner. I will, without fail, get offered Brussels sprouts and I will, without fail, turn them down. However, I mustn't dwell too much on that one bad aspect.

So yes, I quite like Christmas. And it's sequel, New Year is quite good too. Though it's recommended to be a little plastered at Christmas, for New Year it's the LAW.

I will counter this by saying, while you are not incorrect about being able to ignore Christmas, those who do, at least over here, are treated worse than mass murdering cannibals. Maybe you brits are more accepting of us Scrooges.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
14 Hundred Hours

Wallio wrote:And where the hell did Halloween, Thanksgiving, and New Year's go? Christmas honestly started over here about October 10th. No bathplugging lie. And it will go until about January 20th or so. Why? What is the purpose?

This really annoys me too. (Apart from the Thanksgiving thing cos I'm English!) Fenwick's always put their Christmas Window up earlier than's decent too- when I was younger my parents used to make me walk around town with my eyes shut so I wouldn't see it until it was actually Christmas. I haven't felt the 'Christmas spirit' since a couple of years ago. I was on a German exchange right up til the 21st of December, then because of the snow storms I spent most of the 22nd and 23rd either in airports waiting or on a coach. Ever since then Christmas hasn't felt quite right. (Nothing to do with the exchange though- being in Germany for those 10 days I actually felt more Christmassy than ever before!)
I don't mind Christmas being an excuse to spend time with family. I see various members of my family all the time throughout the year, but Boxing Day is one of the only three times the whole of my mum's family come together.* I've got 10 cousins and as many uncles/aunts, so my family's got a pact to not buy the adults presents, and to only get the kids small gifts. Otherwise we'd be truly bankrupt!

*The other time being either a family Christening or the annual invasion of Keswick. Which is actually for me better than Christmas, despite the rain.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Wallio wrote:
BaconLettuceNinja wrote:I will counter some of the naysayers, and declare my reasons for why I quite like Christmas.

I will counter this by saying, while you are not incorrect about being able to ignore Christmas, those who do, at least over here, are treated worse than mass murdering cannibals. Maybe you brits are more accepting of us Scrooges.

I suppose we are. If someone doesn't like Christmas, we probe them with all sorts of questions as to why then eventually leave them alone :lol:

I'm one of the lot who loves Christmas. I love Christmas songs, although I do think it's illegal to play them when it's not December, and all the decorations and stuff. Putting up the tree in my family really is a family activity - me, my sister, my mum and my dad do it, although it usually ends up with Mum and Dad arguing over the lights :lol: The decorations for me make Christmas - Christmas without a Christmas tree is just not right, and although most of the decorations are indeed rather crap when taken out of context, in December they suddenly appear magical and wonderful.

Actually, where does the Christmas tree tradition come from? I can't think how the celebration of Jesus' birth (not that I'm religious, of course) evolve into a tree?

The one thing that really annoys me about Christmas is people who leave decorations up past Christmas. There's a street near my school with a house that doesn't take their outside decorations down at all -how lazy!
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Though it's recommended to be a little plastered at Christmas, for New Year it's the LAW.

Indeed it is. Having a birthday a couple of days after New Years Eve doesn't do my liver any good though.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I like Christmas so unfortunately I can't go on a quasi-epic rant about it, but I do agree that it's really freaking annoying when I see Christmas stuff in October. And then when it continues all the way through to the middle of January. Christmas is in December and it shouldn't be invading into other holidays' timeslots.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I suppose the one good thing about Christmas this year is that I get to spend it in London with all of my family.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:but I do agree that it's really freaking annoying when I see Christmas stuff in October.

You would not have liked living where I do/did before I moved to uni. Decorations on the roads nearby normally went up in October. It confused me greatly why people put them up so early.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Well, come here in Belgian, radio stations don't play christmas songs, and prefer to play 'all time top 1000's' and similar things. It's the only period in the year when those radio stations are slightly decent, actually.
Sure, there remains a lot of fakeness, but the same thing can be said for Belgian people getting drunk at St-Patrick's in the local Irish Pub, because we don't even celebrate actualy this. It's just a good excuse to get drunk.
And i love snow. It seems i'm the only person that likes it, though.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

AdrianSutil wrote:No decorations from me. Not even a crap tree. No advent calendar. Hate Xmas songs. Hate Xmas shopping. No money. Can't even pay my rent. Girlfriend and me argue every day. Won't even have a roast on Xmas day. Won't see my dad. Won't see my nan. Won't see any of my (1) mates. Couldn't care. Xmas depresses me with all the 'happy family' bullshit. Bah humbug.

It depresses me too. My family is basically not existing, but at least me and my dad get along well, same doesn't go for my brothers sadly, but I ignore them as much as I can.

I'll put up my black gasmask (well, if it gets here by then...), piss in the snow (if there will be any), scream bathplug this shite, open a can of beer and come home working on some music!

RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I enjoyed Christmas until I was about 11, now it just annoys me
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Actually, where does the Christmas tree tradition come from? I can't think how the celebration of Jesus' birth (not that I'm religious, of course) evolve into a tree?

I've actually found an application for my religion class last year! So, the Christmas tree dates back to the 16th century, in Alsace, where people put trees in their homes to decorate the house. They chose the pine because it symbolises immortality. As for the big balls that you put on the tree, they used to be fruit, allegedly to show that Jesus bears many fruits.

How I can still remember that is beyond me :lol:

This wrote:And i love snow. It seems i'm the only person that likes it, though.

You're not alone. Snow is awesome. Period.

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

tommykl wrote:
This wrote:And i love snow. It seems i'm the only person that likes it, though.

You're not alone. Snow is awesome. Period.

You're definitely not alone. Give me the Arctic blizzards of Blashyrkh over the Mediterranean sun any day. Even though almost three years ago such weather dealt me a serious injury.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Snow is nice, as it makes the outdoors seem much brighter even during the dark hours (which we have plenty this time of the year). But enough is enough, and at the moment we're already nearing the tolerable limits of snowfall. If the last couple of years are anything to go by, at worst there'll be two-three more times snow than what there currently is, meaning snow levels that reach out to around where my waist is. And I happen to be quite tall...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I also like snow. In some city that I am visiting, like Brussels 4 years ago. Any other day? Sun and heat! :D
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

I'm surprised to see that quite people here don't like Christmas. I'm not that surprised that snow is not liked by everyone, I'm getting more and more used to people disliking it. And snow isn't even connected to Christmas for me, I remember that recently we had Christmas with like 15°C weather; it was really strange to go home from church without having a coat on on Christmas Day.

The history of tree tradition by Tommykl was completely new for me. I actually thought that it doesn't have any relations to Christian ideas; I happen to know families that don't have a Christmas tree because they consider it as a pagan tradition.

An obvious aspect of Christmas, so I have to ask: how many of you actually celebrate the first coming of Christ at Christmas?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

QuickYoda41 wrote:I'm surprised to see that quite people here don't like Christmas. I'm not that surprised that snow is not liked by everyone, I'm getting more and more used to people disliking it. And snow isn't even connected to Christmas for me, I remember that recently we had Christmas with like 15°C weather; it was really strange to go home from church without having a coat on on Christmas Day.

The history of tree tradition by Tommykl was completely new for me. I actually thought that it doesn't have any relations to Christian ideas; I happen to know families that don't have a Christmas tree because they consider it as a pagan tradition.

An obvious aspect of Christmas, so I have to ask: how many of you actually celebrate the first coming of Christ at Christmas?

We here sort of celebrate (my family, I just participate willingly). Although we have adopted Santa Claus and that commercial stuff instead of the previous tradition (back in the days when my mum was a child) which was gifts given by baby Jesus. I prefer this way because gifts given by baby Jesus was rather stupid as tradition. The Spanish people got that right with their gift exchange party tradition happening in the 6th January which is the 3 wise men day (which was mostly forgot in Portugal nowadays).
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
14 Hundred Hours

QuickYoda41 wrote:An obvious aspect of Christmas, so I have to ask: how many of you actually celebrate the first coming of Christ at Christmas?

Most of the older members of my family do, being devout Catholics. I personally don't, but I still go to church on Christmas day cos it's a family tradition.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

QuickYoda41 wrote:I remember that recently we had Christmas with like 15°C weather; it was really strange to go home from church without having a coat on on Christmas Day.

You gotta love the Hungarian random weather!

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

14 Hundred Hours wrote:
QuickYoda41 wrote:An obvious aspect of Christmas, so I have to ask: how many of you actually celebrate the first coming of Christ at Christmas?

Most of the older members of my family do, being devout Catholics. I personally don't, but I still go to church on Christmas day cos it's a family tradition.

I'm not a religious man, so I don't attend church or any of that stuff. Plus, I'm usually too drunk by 10AM so doing anything like that would be a bit of a stretch...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:
14 Hundred Hours wrote:

I'm not a religious man, so I don't attend church or any of that stuff. Plus, I'm usually too drunk by 10AM so doing anything like that would be a bit of a stretch...

I'm usually asleep still at 10AM.