The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

Post by shinji »

johnston21 wrote:All sessions from the season are avail. for replay on the FE app (under "Live").

That's absolutely spectacular, how are the FIA getting things like this so right with FE but so wrong with F1?
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

shinji wrote:
johnston21 wrote:All sessions from the season are avail. for replay on the FE app (under "Live").

That's absolutely spectacular, how are the FIA getting things like this so right with FE but so wrong with F1?

By virtue of not owning the television rights to F1.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

shinji wrote:

Because Bernie's not involved with FE perhaps?

AND Salvador Duran has been excluded for exceeding maximum power usage. :roll: That's ruined SOOOPPPPPAAAA AGUUUURRRRIIIIII's day. But it means that Venturi score an extra point with Stephane Sarrazin, F1 Reject.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Klon wrote:
shinji wrote:

By virtue of not owning the television rights to F1.

Fair enough, just shows the virtues of starting fresh with no contractual or legal baggage.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

An app? And it's free? Rubbish. No one should be able to watch racing and not expect to pay some sort of subscription. This just proves that all that social media nonsense or whatever it is is a complete waste of time.
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just want to add that I thought that it was good and appropriate to see a minute's silence on the grid before the start to commemorate the recent events in Paris. Naturally, Jean Todt was involved with participating. And the applause afterwards demonstrated everybody's approval of the event.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Amlin Aguri winning was a special moment for this forum. They're the 2nd worst team on the grid, yet they pulled it off! Shame I didn't watch it live only on replay.

Have got to say that Lucas di Grassi would have smashed everyone had he not been the victim of suspension failure. With Chandhok going out the same way, I'd say the suspensions were Reject of the Race. They really need to look into them before the next race.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:Have got to say that Lucas di Grassi would have smashed everyone had he not been the victim of suspension failure. With Chandhok going out the same way, I'd say the suspensions were Reject of the Race. They really need to look into them before the next race.

That is the one and only reason why I am glad that there are two months until the next race. I remember the commentators during the race explain that the electrical motors are heavier than regular internal combustion engines. But this should have been factored into the design, as well as the fact that it was known that these cars would be racing on street tracks, notorious for not being as smooth as purpose-built race tracks (plus the fact that barriers will always be closer to the edge of the track on a street course).
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'm getting a bit bored of street circuits now, which surprises me to be honest.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:I'm getting a bit bored of street circuits now, which surprises me to be honest.

I can understand why they want city centre races (which then means street tracks). But Britain already has plenty of purpose-built race tracks. And Brands Hatch is close to London, and the Indy configuration is within the length of track that FE was looking for. And minimal set-up costs, with most of the track visible from most of the viewing area (more so than at many other race tracks like Monza and Silverstone). Also guaranteed to be free for use on both the Saturday and Sunday...
MCard LOLA
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

dr-baker wrote:
CoopsII wrote:I'm getting a bit bored of street circuits now, which surprises me to be honest.

I can understand why they want city centre races (which then means street tracks). But Britain already has plenty of purpose-built race tracks. And Brands Hatch is close to London, and the Indy configuration is within the length of track that FE was looking for. And minimal set-up costs, with most of the track visible from most of the viewing area (more so than at many other race tracks like Monza and Silverstone). Also guaranteed to be free for use on both the Saturday and Sunday...

While I quite bored with most of British permanent circuits. The enviroment is dull. Still FE could race on the bike's road race circuits (ex: Oliver's Mount, Scarborough)

I believe Trois-Rivieres is good enough for FE

Not to mention USA's street tracks uses by IMSA GTP, Trans Am, and others around 80s to early 2000s. I like them :_;
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

dr-baker wrote:

The street tracks really serves the purpose of bringing the series to the people. I'm excited by the prospect of being able to hop on a train and go up to London to see a race rather than driving for a couple of hours to an airfield in the middle of nowhere. As a general rule of thumb also, slower cars (like Formula E) are better on street circuits as the speeds are similar and they have to, and can, take risks to get past each other, whereas faster cars work better on larger, wider purpose built facilities with more than one line through corners as they simply can't take the risk of passing with the barriers so close.

Now don't get me wrong, I am the last person who'd want to see Monaco disappear from the F1 calendar. But I primarily appreciate it's presence for the purposes of variety above anything else. In terms of being a quality race track, well it says something that the "best" Monaco GPs have all been destruction derbies.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Well, there are definite arguments on both sides. For Formula E, I think it is great that they are only racing on city-centre tracks - it's a USP, and they are attempting to sell the idea of electric powertrains to as wide an audience as possible. And with the speeds that the cars are currently attaining, maybe avoiding direct comparison of speeds with other formulae is apt (no, not Abt, I said apt...).

But now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder how they would cope with gradients like that through Eau Rouge or through Paddock Hill Bend and then up to Druids, or even the first turn at Austin... Bound to have an effect on battery charge?
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:

You can't really think they should run the entire series in Britain, though, do you?
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

You can't really think they should run the entire series in Britain, though, do you?

No, of course not. I was just suggesting a purpose-built track in place of London's street/park track. Although I would like to see in five to ten years some national feeder series that would then feed into the main international/world series.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

According to a report on Autosport, Jarno Trulli's 10-place grid penalty for a gearbox change at the next round in Miami has been revoked. Why? Because he has already served the penalty at the last round in Argentina! He changed the gearbox between qually and the race last time out, therefore was in a position to pay the price there... :roll: :oops:
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

dr-baker wrote:According to a report on Autosport, Jarno Trulli's 10-place grid penalty for a gearbox change at the next round in Miami has been revoked. Why? Because he has already served the penalty at the last round in Argentina! He changed the gearbox between qually and the race last time out, therefore was in a position to pay the price there... :roll: :oops:

What are the rules regarding gearbox changes?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

andrew wrote:
dr-baker wrote:According to a report on Autosport, Jarno Trulli's 10-place grid penalty for a gearbox change at the next round in Miami has been revoked. Why? Because he has already served the penalty at the last round in Argentina! He changed the gearbox between qually and the race last time out, therefore was in a position to pay the price there... :roll: :oops:

What are the rules regarding gearbox changes?

Same as in F1, I believe. 10 place penalty in the race following the change of gearbox. Don't know off the top of my head how often new boxes are introduced.
MCard LOLA
Waris

Post by Waris »

This series is epic. I've intended to watch a race live and missed it for the second time running now (for the Uruguayan race, the livestream was having problems and I gave up, but this time I simply forgot) and I hope third time will be lucky. I also can't wait until F-E comes to Europe.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Waris wrote:This series is epic. I've intended to watch a race live and missed it for the second time running now (for the Uruguayan race, the livestream was having problems and I gave up, but this time I simply forgot) and I hope third time will be lucky. I also can't wait until F-E comes to Europe.

Are you planning on attending any of the races yourself? I think some of us are planning on going to the race in London, at Battersea Park.
MCard LOLA
Waris

Post by Waris »

dr-baker wrote:
Waris wrote:This series is epic. I've intended to watch a race live and missed it for the second time running now (for the Uruguayan race, the livestream was having problems and I gave up, but this time I simply forgot) and I hope third time will be lucky. I also can't wait until F-E comes to Europe.

Are you planning on attending any of the races yourself? I think some of us are planning on going to the race in London, at Battersea Park.

As cool as that would be, I very much doubt it at this point, considering I'm not exactly financially sound. (I am practically Caterham.) If I did it would probably more likely to be the one in Berlin anyway.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Waris wrote:As cool as that would be, I very much doubt it at this point, considering I'm not exactly financially sound. (I am practically Caterham.) If I did it would probably more likely to be the one in Berlin anyway.

I can imagine that Berlin would indeed be more convenient from Amsterdam. I would like to get to Berlin for their FE round, but again money is tight. If you're Caterham, then I suppose my finances are like Marussia's.
MCard LOLA
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

dr-baker wrote:If you're Caterham, then I suppose my finances are like Marussia's.

Well, my finances are like Connew, i win
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
dr-baker wrote:If you're Caterham, then I suppose my finances are like Marussia's.

The only way that that could be beaten is if someone's finances are like MasterCard Lola's, I suppose...
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

dr-baker wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:

The only way that that could be beaten is if someone's finances are like MasterCard Lola's, I suppose...

Did any team go bankrupt before they even got a chance to go to a race weekend?
tBone

Post by tBone »

watka wrote:
Did any team go bankrupt before they even got a chance to go to a race weekend?

US F1?
YOUR
LOGO

Here
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tBone wrote:
watka wrote:Did any team go bankrupt before they even got a chance to go to a race weekend?

US F1?

And PURE as an engine manufacturer, I suppose? And Al Melling's engine, the Powertech V10, never made it into a race car.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Good news, we're getting a 10th Formula E race this year. Formula E will be going to the land of the Tsars between the Berlin and London rounds. Circuit looks positively vicious as well.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

East Londoner wrote:Good news, we're getting a 10th Formula E race this year. Formula E will be going to the land of the Tsars between the Berlin and London rounds. Circuit looks positively vicious as well.

Ooh, like the look of that. Somewhat like a fat Brontosaurus!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

East Londoner wrote:Good news, we're getting a 10th Formula E race this year. Formula E will be going to the land of the Tsars between the Berlin and London rounds. Circuit looks positively vicious as well.

They can just add an extra race to a season when it's already started? What meaning does the calendar have?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

They can just add an extra race to a season when it's already started? What meaning does the calendar have?

Not every championship has it's races locked into watertight contracts like F1 you know! ;)

You should see the F1 H2O calender development - a month to the first race and they still have to finalise half of the races!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

This could mean there's still hope for Korea.
#FreeGonzo
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Simtek wrote:

This could mean there's still hope for Korea.

Yeah, FOM would just have to cease to exist somehow first.

:P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Bobby Doorknobs

Salamander wrote:
Simtek wrote:This could mean there's still hope for Korea.

Yeah, FOM would just have to cease to exist somehow first.

:P

It'll happen! My faith in humanity isn't totally dead yet!
#FreeGonzo
Waris

Post by Waris »

That's nice, an extra race, but personally I really hate that they removed the February 14 round. It took the good momentum that they had built up out of it a bit, if you ask me. (although, if the next race is as good as what we've seen so far, that'll be right back no problem) And now the only motorsports on February 14 was a second-tier NASCAR race at Daytona, which of course I ended up not watching.
Bobby Doorknobs

The Andretti merry-go-round continues - now they have a line-up consisting of two ex-Toro Rosso and reject drivers: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117918
#FreeGonzo
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Simtek wrote:The Andretti merry-go-round continues - now they have a line-up consisting of two ex-Toro Rosso and reject drivers: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117918

Make sense with Speed looking to take up a drive with them in Indycar. Will be interesting to see him on the same grid as Nelson Piquet Jr, especially if they were to collide... :roll:
nome66

Post by nome66 »

watka wrote:
Simtek wrote:The Andretti merry-go-round continues - now they have a line-up consisting of two ex-Toro Rosso and reject drivers: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117918

Make sense with Speed looking to take up a drive with them in Indycar. Will be interesting to see him on the same grid as Nelson Piquet Jr, especially if they were to collide... :roll:

already been done in the RedBull Ameri-*cough* GLOBAL, sorry, Rallycross Championship.
that's Speed in the 7up Andretti Polo.....engaged in a t-bone nudge with Piquet Jr in his red n black OMSE Fiesta
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
johnston21

Post by johnston21 »

Is Fan Boost working for anyone atm? Also, is anyone getting Practice streamed via the Formula E app atm?

Both seems to be out of commission for me (atm).

Got the Practice 2 stream working via the website (just don't select US or Canada)...
Zergon

Post by Zergon »

johnston21 wrote:Is Fan Boost working for anyone atm? Also, is anyone getting Practice streamed via the Formula E app atm?

Both seems to be out of commission for me (atm).

Stream works for me now, didn´t work at practice 1 though.

Total of four changes on driver line-up for this race.
The mandatory Andretti driver change sees Mario Andretti being replaced by Scott Speed (as already reported)
Loic Duvan is replacing Oriol Servia who apparently has been promoted to director of Dragon Racing.
Charles Pic is back in Formula E but with China Racing as he replaces Ho-Pin Tung.
and Michela Cerruti is replaced by Vitantonio Liuzzi.

I really hope they would keep same drivers for a whole season but guess that´s not going to happen anytime soon.