F1 Comic writers' appreciation society.

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Many Blue Flags

F1 Comic writers' appreciation society.

Post by Many Blue Flags »

Seeing as so many people here appreciate the talent of various F1 comic artists, I thought it only fair that we should have a dedicated forum to all the best, plus if we have any budding comic artists here we could give them advice and feedback. Just to get the ball rolling, here are the generally accepted big ones in the UK, Brazil and France:

UK - James (Jim) Bamber. Has a weekly cartoon in Autosport, has been doing comcs for ages though prefers rallies to F1.

Brazil - Bruno Mantovani. Artist famed for his popular youtube videos. Pretty much everyone on f1 forums on the internet knows him.

France - Jean-Louis Fiszman. Another old-school artist, famed for particularly playing up a driver's faults, such as making Kimi an alcoholic whose car is powered by vodka.

---

I'm kinda ignoring Cirebox for France as it seems he's Renault-contracted, hence the heavy Renault positive lean of his comics.
Last edited by Many Blue Flags on 27 Aug 2009, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
Also Known As 'Mr Two-Seconds-Off-The-Pace'

YAFUGGA BLOODY GAFUGGOV is all I say to you.
crazydude1992

Re: F1 Comic writers' appreciation society.

Post by crazydude1992 »

I cant see the third picture. But Mantovani is great, I visit his site after every race.
Artificial intelligence is no match for F1 rejectdom.
dragonsteincole

Post by dragonsteincole »

Always loved Jim Bamber's stuff, a lot of the time it's the best thing to read in Autosport. :P
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

This is the best one! :P
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

If you haven't seen Mantovani yet (a true tragedy, that!), here's another example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_mrKDGd ... re=channel
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Yeah, Pilotoons are great. I especially love the way he shows the grid in Valencia with Badoer on a tricycle.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I enjoyed F1 cartoons but they suddenly ended in 2001 IIRC. This one is from European GP 1999.
Many Blue Flags

I think this one deserves a mention XD. Translated, it reads:

Barrichello: Thanks, Felipe! Because of you, I've worked out what I need to win!

Sign: The first person who gets near me gets hit by THIS spring

Pacifics only fan

Post by Pacifics only fan »

Saw this on the GPG forum, unfortunately it's just copyrighted to "Thompson" so it doesn't say exactly who did it, or where it came from.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/r ... 5_8178.jpg
Many Blue Flags

For those who've seen Bruno Mantovani's new video, who's the new mystery pilot? The first one is obviously Di Grassi, but not sure about the other.

frongor

Post by frongor »

Grand Prix Tengoku from Japan = By far the best F1-cartoon, unfourtuntlay only in Japanese.... so far..
Super Aguri - come back!
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

frongor wrote:Grand Prix Tengoku from Japan = By far the best F1-cartoon, unfourtuntlay only in Japanese.... so far..

Indeed, some of these are genius. :D I have some new years postcards by the artist and they are funny, I'll have to find a scan them :) One features Hamilton and Alonso playing Hanetsuki (a game like Badmington played generally in the new year) with Ron Dennis (Bosu! (Boss)) and Lewises dad (Papa!) having fans and waving the shuttlecock away from alonso. :lol:
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just read on Autosport that Jim Bamber has died today of cancer. RIP.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

dr-baker wrote:Just read on Autosport that Jim Bamber has died today of cancer. RIP.

Gosh, this is really sad news to hear. R.I.P Jim.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Maurice Hamilton's confirmed it on Twitter. RIP Jim.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

RIP Jim. His cartoons were so distinctive, I grew up with his comics in the 90s and have loved them ever since.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
MrMG

Post by MrMG »

RIP Jim, his cartoons always raised a smile :) I remember the one years ago with Schumacher and Irvine shovelling millions of "Ferrari: World Champions 1997" caps into an incinerator!

I remember seeing a great one on the net once upon a time, it was basically the buildup to a (fictional) GP in the style of ITV Sport at the time. Constant gushing over Hamilton, Steve Rider ending every sentence with the word "Lewis". Marl Blundell mangling the English language, James Allen introducing the commentary with "LEEEEEEEWWWWWWISSSS!!!".

And of course, after the 5th red light went out, it was time for the adverts!
mario

Post by mario »

watka wrote:RIP Jim. His cartoons were so distinctive, I grew up with his comics in the 90s and have loved them ever since.

Even though it has been years since I last saw one of his drawings, they are so distinctive and with such a playful sense of humour that you always recognise them right away - it's rather bitter news to hear.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Terrible news. Why only recently I was searching the Jim Bamber collection to see if I could find that cartoon with the collection of wreaths for fallen World Champions... the one with "Jack" in there before he'd died.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

MadGaz85 wrote:RIP Jim, his cartoons always raised a smile :) I remember the one years ago with Schumacher and Irvine shovelling millions of "Ferrari: World Champions 1997" caps into an incinerator!

Yes! I remember that one, and also the one with Tom Walkinshaw holding Hill hostage inside a ring of Arrows cars and boxes with the other team bosses riding round on horses looking like cowboys. Walkinshaw saying something along the lines of "He's ours!" :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dinizintheoven wrote:Terrible news. Why only recently I was searching the Jim Bamber collection to see if I could find that cartoon with the collection of wreaths for fallen World Champions... the one with "Jack" in there before he'd died.

And I found it... well, maybe. Hidden away on the fifty-third page of Jim Bamber's Tumblr (which I'd forgotten existed), was a lament for... F1 itself, after the dreadful events at a certain circuit in Austria we've just been to. But there's no wreath for Jack Brabham, so maybe I am still thinking of another cartoon, or could it have been retrospectively altered...

James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

I log in here on holiday for the first time to be greeted by this! :( I received monthly emails from his site asking to vote for your favourite cartoon from a choice of 4. It was always hard to choose the best one!

RIP Jim :(
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.