Ridiculous Excuses

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
ibsey

Re: Ridiculous Excuses

Post by ibsey »

AndreaModa wrote:I was wondering if this article on BBC News might have had something to do with Reutemann's relationship with Williams, and certainly him leaving the team during 1982 and F1 altogether?

That is certainly a very interest article AndreaModa, thanks for sharing that with us. :)

Just in case you were not aware, this exact subject was discussed only a couple of days ago in the 'What If' thread. For your ease hopefully this link will take you straight to the aforementioned discussion; http://www.f1rejects.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=229&start=1520

I find the directive which was released from UK sports minister Neil Macfarlane at the start of the conflict very interesting indeed. The article states he advised:

"I urge no sporting contact with Argentina at representative, club or individual level on British soil. This policy applies equally to all sporting fixtures in Argentina."

So you have to assume that the Argentine government did something similar, whereby they also released a directive urging its own international sports men/women, no contact with Britain during that time. I know from one of my other main interests in life, researching into WW2 events, that it is not unheard of for governments to take extreme measures at times of conflict. To give you an example of what I mean, the US government secretly worked with convicted mafia crime bosses when planning & executing their invasion of Sicily in 1943 (a story as good as the Godfather movies).

Simliarily according to Wikipedia, during the 1980 Summer Olympics;

Led by the United States, 65 countries boycotted the games because of the Soviet war in Afghanistan, though some athletes from some of the boycotting countries participated in the games, under the Olympic Flag. This prompted the Soviet-led boycott of the 1984 Summer Olympics.

Source; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Summer_Olympics

All of which of course strengthen the theory that Reutemann was aware of the upcoming conflict. And that was at the very least a factor in his decision to retire from F1 on the Friday following the Brazilian GP, which would have been the 26th March 1982 (according to the book entitled '1982', by Christopher Hilton). Which was only one week before the start of the Falklands / Las Malvinas conflict.

AndreaModa wrote:Maybe Williams had been leant on by the British government to an extent during the latter half of 1981 hence why Carlos ended up loosing the title?

I'm not sure what tensions over the Falklands/Las Malvinas would have been like between Argentina & Britain during the latter half of 1981, so I'm not sure about that. However, as mentioned in my previous post I do find it interesting the way Jones managed to claw back so many points to Carlos in both the Italian & Las Vegas GP's alone. Whereas during free practice & qualifying for both races Carlos had been quicker than Jones & both Williams drivers finished the race?

There are some interesting theories contained within this thread particularly about Carlos' performance at the 1981 Las Vegas GP which starts from around post #43 onwards; http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=1170&hl=Reutemann%201981&st=40

I'll let you reach your own conclusion on the matter. However I will add Mario Andretti's comments from his one off drive with Williams (when he replaced Carlos) at Long Beach 1982;

I didn't like the Williams at Long Beach at all and then I found out later that Keke Rosberg had a totally different set-up , much, much softer. I tried to tell them but I wasn't a permanent member of the team. I talked to Frank Dernie. When we tested at Willow Springs Raceway, California, which is a high speed, I said "Look, this very stiff set-up may be OK for here but Long Beach is a totally different animal. You don't have the downforce" My car was like being on a pogo stick. It was jumping around as if I had no feel of it. I found out later that Keke had exactly 50% of the stiffness that I did. I don't know why they stuck me with a really heavy go-kart set-up?

Then during the race;

I think I wound up brushing a wall...I threw it into a corner and I had no grip at all, zero grip

Source; 1982, by Christopher Hilton

It is worth noting that Mario was almost a full second slower than Keke (himself still fairly new to the Williams team) in quali & well behind Keke in the race. Furthermore Mario had only retired from F1 at the end of 1981. Thus had only missed two GP's prior to getting that drive. Also one might have expected Mario, as an ex WDC to be a lot closer to Keke (who by that stage had yet to win a GP). Particular at Long Beach, one of his home GP's and perhaps a track Mario knew as well as anyone.

Furthermore Mario didn't get to drive again in F1, for over 5 months after that. And during his next stand in appearance at Monza he got pole & might have won had it not been for a problem during the race. All of which seems to support the idea that Mario's car setup was all wrong at Long Beach 1982. Rather than Mario just being 'rusty'. Furthermore I recall hearing stories about JV & Patrick Head arguing over car setup matters at Hungary 1996 & Austria 1997.

My point being, that all of these stories along with those contained within the Autosport thread do seem to paint a picture of the Williams team setting up their car to whatever the engineers want. Rather than what the driver has asked for. So I am wondering whether this may have contributed towards Carlos' apparently ill handling car at Las Vegas 1981. (& maybe at other races during late 1981). And maybe Williams changed the setup of Carlos car after he had been quicker than his teammate in quali, as IIRC had been claimed in the Autosport thread. Perhaps to try something else as an engineering test, rather than to purposely sabotage Carlos' race. Therefore effectively costing Carlos the 1981 WDC?
Last edited by ibsey on 05 Jan 2013, 10:50, edited 3 times in total.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

JJMonty wrote:However back on subject: "Falklands war cost me the title!" Now that would be up for debate of being a plausable or ridiculous excuse!

Can't see how that excuse can be topped. :lol:

Although IIRC Jean-Pierre Wimille could claim that WW2 cost him the 1930's equivalent of a WDC (I think it was called a European championship back then). Since he lost his best motor racing days because of the war.

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Anyone know what Force India's excuse was after the 2010 German GP where they put the wrong tyres on their two cars? As Wikipedia states...

Elsewhere, Force India committed a grievous error when bringing their drivers in early. The team had been expecting Vitantonio Liuzzi to pit before Sutil, but Sutil was the first to arrive in pit. It was only after both drivers had returned to the circuit that the team realized they had accidentally placed Liuzzi's tyres on Sutil's car and Sutil's tyres on Liuzzi's. The FIA have made rules regarding tyres allotment very explicit, stating that a driver may only ever use tyres from his allocation, thus necessitating a second round of pit stops to allow the team to switch the tyres back.

Source; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Germa ... _Prix#Race

mario

Post by mario »

ibsey wrote:Anyone know what Force India's excuse was after the 2010 German GP where they put the wrong tyres on their two cars? As Wikipedia states...

Elsewhere, Force India committed a grievous error when bringing their drivers in early. The team had been expecting Vitantonio Liuzzi to pit before Sutil, but Sutil was the first to arrive in pit. It was only after both drivers had returned to the circuit that the team realized they had accidentally placed Liuzzi's tyres on Sutil's car and Sutil's tyres on Liuzzi's. The FIA have made rules regarding tyres allotment very explicit, stating that a driver may only ever use tyres from his allocation, thus necessitating a second round of pit stops to allow the team to switch the tyres back.

To be fair to Force India, they were actually pretty honest about what happened - Sutil admitted that Force India had planned on pitting him on the first lap and letting him run on the harder tyre until the end of the race, so that was why he came into the pits at the same time as Liuzzi. The team then admitted that, with Liuzzi radioing in to report a damaged front wing and pulling in at the same time as Sutil, that in the confusion of getting a new wing for Liuzzi they mixed up Liuzzi's and Sutil's tyres. http://www.f1technical.net/news/15194
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

mario wrote:
ibsey wrote:Anyone know what Force India's excuse was after the 2010 German GP where they put the wrong tyres on their two cars? As Wikipedia states...

To be fair to Force India, they were actually pretty honest about what happened - Sutil admitted that Force India had planned on pitting him on the first lap and letting him run on the harder tyre until the end of the race, so that was why he came into the pits at the same time as Liuzzi. The team then admitted that, with Liuzzi radioing in to report a damaged front wing and pulling in at the same time as Sutil, that in the confusion of getting a new wing for Liuzzi they mixed up Liuzzi's and Sutil's tyres. http://www.f1technical.net/news/15194

I was kind of hoping that Force India might have provided a funnier explanation than that. Maybe something along the lines of ..."well we wanted some PR exposure in the race."

Or... "we though we would out do the Ferrari's calamitous pitstop for Eddie Irvine at Nurburgring 1999". Damm F1 teams of today for being all serious & professional. ;)

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Kazuyoshi Hoshino retired from the 1976 Japanese Grand Prix having used up his tyre supply. Funny thing is we might see that actually happen at one of the races this year, if the current tyre situation gets much worse. :lol:

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

ibsey wrote:Kazuyoshi Hoshino retired from the 1976 Japanese Grand Prix having used up his tyre supply. Funny thing is we might see that actually happen at one of the races this year, if the current tyre situation gets much worse. :lol:

He just so happened to be in third when he retired on lap 25 IIRC

I created the Chris Huhne memorial post on a whim because I was tired and bored so in my mind at least, it seamed like a good idea that just turned out to be shite
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Patrick Tambay’s excuse for stalling his engine at the start of the 1983 Detriot Grand Prix;

“…I probably warmed up my tires a little bit too much…and I had too much grip on the rear wheels. And when I put the clutch in, it just passed off (?) the engine…”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmSoUNNjiRg (at 0:07:52)

Too much grip, causing the engine to stall? Erm okay Patrick.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Bit of a bump, and not exactly F1 related, but I was just reading the national news section of last week's Autosport, when I read the following. It is definitely an original excuse to get the start of a race delayed...

Then, looking through the race results to see how well (or not, as it turns out) Ian Mitchell did in that race, I saw the following name that made me do a double-take.

Borat is a Brigadier? Who knew?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Intothebarrier's lastest F1 parody on F1 2012 involves Jenson Button making pathetic excuses such as hitting a goat at turn 2 at Silverstone but this one was the best

Belgium after hitting Michael Schumacher

Engineer: Come on then what have you got for us this time why wasn't that your fault?

Jenson: On page 485b.2 of my contract it clearly states that if the grand prix commences on the annual Gazelle race in the almen ren mountains I can not take part. So with that you have a perfectly valid excuse as to why i crashed.

Engineer: I give I give up I give up
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Martin Brundle was saying during commentary in last weekend's race that the Renualt's computers had been hacked into which adversely affected their on track performance (apparently).

Must remember that excuse next time the missus check's out mhy internet browsing history....

andrew

Post by andrew »

Joloyn Palmer is a terrible excuse for an f1 driver.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

andrew wrote:Joloyn Palmer is a terrible excuse for an f1 driver.

Ouch, Palmer better have burn heal.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Last weekend, Nicholas Latifi threw away a certain win in the GP2 F2 sprint race at Barcelona. Why? He got distracted by his wing mirror falling off the car and clunking him in the face.

Regardless, it doesn't reflect too well on him.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:Regardless, it doesn't reflect too well on him.

Nice.
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

ibsey wrote:Martin Brundle was saying during commentary in last weekend's race that the Renualt's computers had been hacked into which adversely affected their on track performance (apparently).

Must remember that excuse next time the missus check's out mhy internet browsing history....

I know that the automotive manufacturing division of Renault was hit quite heavily by the recent cyber attack - I believe that they had to take around 10% of their factories offline for at least two days whilst they dealt with the attack. However, I wasn't aware of any reports indicating that Renault Sport had also been hit - that said, given the scale of the breach across Renault, it is plausible that they might well have been hit.

In some ways, it is perhaps a little reminiscent of the claims a number of years ago that somebody had hacked into Renault's computer systems and acquired information on their engine.

Speaking of excuses, this week we have heard Vandoorne's excuse for turning in on Massa in the Spanish GP:
"From my side I didn't really expect Felipe to be there because he was quite far behind and I was using all the tools I had to be as quick as possible at the end of the straight."

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/140499-van ... ssing-pace

Given that he appears to have been watching Massa in his mirrors, it still seems a bit odd that he didn't seem to realise that he was catching him...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Ataxia wrote:Last weekend, Nicholas Latifi threw away a certain win in the GP2 F2 sprint race at Barcelona. Why? He got distracted by his wing mirror falling off the car and clunking him in the face.

Regardless, it doesn't reflect too well on him.

Would have been a fan of his for life if he was distracted by looking at himself in the mirror and saying "hey good looking...how you doing?"

MrMG

Post by MrMG »

Mansell, in his recent autobiography, appears to blame a poor string of results in the early 1991 season on.......catching heyfever from his moustache.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

MadGaz85 wrote:Mansell, in his recent autobiography, appears to blame a poor string of results in the early 1991 season on.......catching heyfever from his moustache.

Nice contribution. IIRC Mansell shaved off his moustache in 1988, and when journalists asked about it I think he jokingly told them it was for aerodynamic benefit. Haven't read that book for a while but IIRC the real reason was something similar to what you mentioned above (i.e. catching heyfever from his moustache.).

On a separate note can't remember if this brilliant excuse has been mentioned before;

An advert that reportedly cost Lewis Hamilton racing glory is returning after being labelled ‘distracting’.
The piercing eyes of supermodel Jessiqa Pace caused a storm in 2009. Now, eight years later, the sexy poster shows the model dressed up as a F1 driver. At the time Ms Pace’s eyes were linked with Hamilton spinning out and losing out on victory.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/26/racy-post ... x-6664611/

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

ibsey wrote:
On a separate note can't remember if this brilliant excuse has been mentioned before;

An advert that reportedly cost Lewis Hamilton racing glory is returning after being labelled ‘distracting’.
The piercing eyes of supermodel Jessiqa Pace caused a storm in 2009. Now, eight years later, the sexy poster shows the model dressed up as a F1 driver. At the time Ms Pace’s eyes were linked with Hamilton spinning out and losing out on victory.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/26/racy-post ... x-6664611/

I think that should feature on the Williams cars of Massa and Stroll!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA