The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Another great race and yet another different winner in Piquet, 35 years after his dad won his first Grand Prix at the same venue.
#FreeGonzo
Waris

Post by Waris »

Another enjoyable race, though not as spectacular as some of the previous ones. Spare a thought for poor Jarno Trulli though. Bad Luck really seems to be his middle name. :roll:
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Maybe it was Pic's power steering that was the problem?

I've only just managed to see the race - I've been fiddling with my own (non-electric) car most of the day, though when I thought I'd missed it live yesterday, because of the time it was shown, I might not have missed it after all... I was used to it being early in the morning from the Asian rounds.

Still, Monaco next, so it'll be on at lunchtime! Perfect. And will we have a seventh winner?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Another enjoyable race.

Not only Trulli, but Heidfeld bad lucky strikes again.

ROTR for Scott Speed: Embarrassing himself in the front of his fans.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Talking of Scott Speed, I never thought he'd be the only one to screw it up on the kerbs - especially after the rejectful displays in Buenos Aires. Maybe the drivers were (mostly) being far more careful at the chicane this time...
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

It seems to me the entertainment value has dropped off just a little these past two rounds - perhaps everyone's getting a bit more used to what they're doing, so it's not quite as wild and free-flowing as when it started?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I enjoyed the racing once again, to me its improving race by race. Another good thing about FE is that you can do what I did and tape the race and still not stumble across the result until you end up watching it, which in my case was half an hour ago.

Also, how nice is it to have none of the horseshit that currently suffocates F1 right now?
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

CoopsII wrote:Also, how nice is it to have none of the horseshit that currently suffocates F1 right now?

It looked set for a bad start with fanboost, but it's smelled pretty rosy up to now.
#FreeGonzo
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

CoopsII wrote:Also, how nice is it to have none of the horseshit that currently suffocates F1 right now?

It's really great not to be suffocated with an air of overwhelming negativity every time any news story breaks.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

dinizintheoven wrote:Talking of Scott Speed, I never thought he'd be the only one to screw it up on the kerbs - especially after the rejectful displays in Buenos Aires. Maybe the drivers were (mostly) being far more careful at the chicane this time...

Well, Speed wasn't racing in Argentina so perhaps that's why other drivers were better aware...
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

dr-baker wrote:That was Puente del Este, along the seafront? That was indeed memorable.

Its Punta, actually, but now that you do bring up bridges, I'd like to point up Punta's greatest flaw: The circuit doesn't go through this here bridge.
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puente_Leonel_Viera
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Frentzen127 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:That was Puente del Este, along the seafront? That was indeed memorable.

Its Punta, actually, but now that you do bring up bridges, I'd like to point up Punta's greatest flaw: The circuit doesn't go through this here bridge.

I don't understand much Spanish at all, but I love that that article mentions Maldonado!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:
Frentzen127 wrote:

I don't understand much Spanish at all, but I love that that article mentions Maldonado!

Punta del Este is in Uruguay's Maldonado Department :)
#FreeGonzo
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

With a bit of a gap before the next race, I thought I'd summarise the championship standings by way of F1/GP Rejects criteria :

1 F1 Reject
2 F1 Podium - non Reject
3 Never Raced F1
4 F1 Reject
5 Never Raced F1
6 Never Raced F1
7 F1 Reject
8 F1 Reject
9 F1 Reject
10 F1 Reject
11 Never Raced F1
12 F1 Reject
13 F1 Reject
14 F1 Reject
15 Never Raced F1
16 F1 Reject
17 F1 Race Winner - non Reject
18 Never Raced F1
19 F1 Podiums - non Reject
20 F1 Reject
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

madmark1974 wrote:With a bit of a gap before the next race, I thought I'd summarise the championship standings by way of F1/GP Rejects criteria :

1 F1 Reject
2 F1 Podium - non Reject
3 Never Raced F1
4 F1 Reject
5 Never Raced F1
6 Never Raced F1
7 F1 Reject
8 F1 Reject
9 F1 Reject
10 F1 Reject
11 Never Raced F1
12 F1 Reject
13 F1 Reject
14 F1 Reject
15 Never Raced F1
16 F1 Reject
17 F1 Race Winner - non Reject
18 Never Raced F1
19 F1 Podiums - non Reject
20 F1 Reject

Rejects galore! And, looking at this, anyone might have thought that F1 was a feeder category to FE...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

From Autosport:

Michael Andretti wrote:"I think this is here to stay. It's going to be around for a long time, and 10 years down the road it could be the premier series.

"It has that much potential in my opinion. I think they're doing everything right.

"Everything has been first class, and they're doing a fantastic job of pulling it off.

"They're doing everything they need to do to grow this into a world-class series."

Discuss.

If Bernie/CVC continue to take F1 the way it's going, and IndyCar doesn't quite recapture its glory of the mid-1990s, maybe it could become the premier single-seater category? (I think WEC/sportscars are more likely to become the premier overall series to replace F1).
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:From Autosport:

Michael Andretti wrote:"I think this is here to stay. It's going to be around for a long time, and 10 years down the road it could be the premier series.

"It has that much potential in my opinion. I think they're doing everything right.

"Everything has been first class, and they're doing a fantastic job of pulling it off.

"They're doing everything they need to do to grow this into a world-class series."

Discuss.

If Bernie/CVC continue to take F1 the way it's going, and IndyCar doesn't quite recapture its glory of the mid-1990s, maybe it could become the premier single-seater category? (I think WEC/sportscars are more likely to become the premier overall series to replace F1).

Sadly, I have to agree with this.
#FreeGonzo
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Simtek wrote:
dr-baker wrote:If Bernie/CVC continue to take F1 the way it's going, and IndyCar doesn't quite recapture its glory of the mid-1990s, maybe it could become the premier single-seater category? (I think WEC/sportscars are more likely to become the premier overall series to replace F1).

WEC will never become the "premier overall series" for one simple reason: the 'E'. There is a reason short-to-mid-length races have been so prevalent, it is because most people who aren't hardcore racing fans won't sit down for 6 or more hours to watch a race on a regular basis. Even the mammoth 500 (and in one case 600) mile NASCAR races with all their cautions take at most 4 hours to complete. And you cannot become the premier racing series on the backs of hardcore racing fans alone.

Alejandro Agag has done a good job of guiding Formula E so far, and I would not put it beyond him to make FE into what F1 is now (or was, depending on your point of view).
Everything's great.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Salamander wrote:
Simtek wrote:
dr-baker wrote:If Bernie/CVC continue to take F1 the way it's going, and IndyCar doesn't quite recapture its glory of the mid-1990s, maybe it could become the premier single-seater category? (I think WEC/sportscars are more likely to become the premier overall series to replace F1).

WEC will never become the "premier overall series" for one simple reason: the 'E'. There is a reason short-to-mid-length races have been so prevalent, it is because most people who aren't hardcore racing fans won't sit down for 6 or more hours to watch a race on a regular basis. Even the mammoth 500 (and in one case 600) mile NASCAR races with all their cautions take at most 4 hours to complete. And you cannot become the premier racing series on the backs of hardcore racing fans alone.

Alejandro Agag has done a good job of guiding Formula E so far, and I would not put it beyond him to make FE into what F1 is now (or was, depending on your point of view).

I agree with the above, when FE was first announced we were all saying it would be rejectful (just look at the first few pages of this thread), myself included, and so far every race has been entertaining and somewhat exciting, despite (or perhaps, because of), the er, 'non-elite' status of many of the drivers. I think the only thing that the series really needs is, to paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson, MORE POWER! SPEED!

Casual fans will still look at the racing and say it's too slow and not give it a chance, hopefully when the regulations get opened up (next season?) everyone will be able to find a few more MPH and things will really take off. Already the series has become a regular watch, I just hope it can stay off pay-TV so more people will give it a chance. Also, interest in the series should increase now they're back in Europe, it will be interesting to see how many fans go to the German race as there is supposedly not enough demand for the F1 race this year.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I don't know whether this belongs here or in the field trip thread (will link to this post there in a minute), but there is news on tickets for the London races. Tickets will go on sale from 1st May, but will only be available for those who sign up to the newsletter for the first three days. Info here. Prices will range from £20 to £200. I suggest that, to arrange the much-discussed field trip, we arrange it in the field trip thread.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

dr-baker wrote:I don't know whether this belongs here or in the field trip thread (will link to this post there in a minute), but there is news on tickets for the London races. Tickets will go on sale from 1st May, but will only be available for those who sign up to the newsletter for the first three days. Info here. Prices will range from £20 to £200. I suggest that, to arrange the much-discussed field trip, we arrange it in the field trip thread.

Insulting. Why are ticket prices higher in the UK than anywhere else on the continent? A base level Berlin ePrix ticket is 10 euros. the most expensive was less than 100 euros IIRC. They were available well in advance without having to jump through any hoops like signing up to stuff we don't want.

Why are we always stone dead last when it comes to this stuff?!
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Biscione wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I don't know whether this belongs here or in the field trip thread (will link to this post there in a minute), but there is news on tickets for the London races. Tickets will go on sale from 1st May, but will only be available for those who sign up to the newsletter for the first three days. Info here. Prices will range from £20 to £200. I suggest that, to arrange the much-discussed field trip, we arrange it in the field trip thread.

Insulting. Why are ticket prices higher in the UK than anywhere else on the continent? A base level Berlin ePrix ticket is 10 euros. the most expensive was less than 100 euros IIRC. They were available well in advance without having to jump through any hoops like signing up to stuff we don't want.

Why are we always stone dead last when it comes to this stuff?!

In fairness to them London is two races over two days. Exchange rate wise it's still more expensive per-race than Berlin but it's not as outrageous as it seems.

Unless you knew that and found it insulting anyway!
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

shinji wrote:

In fairness to them London is two races over two days. Exchange rate wise it's still more expensive per-race than Berlin but it's not as outrageous as it seems.

Unless you knew that and found it insulting anyway!

Yeah, but it still doesn't say £20 will get you in for both days. Having studied in London for many years, I assumed that £20 would get you a one day general admission pass. Although more expensive than the cheapest Olympics tickets, which were £20.12, just a few years ago...
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'm certainly going to be keeping my eye on the ticket situation. I just need to find some cash now...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Some news: because Dario Franchitti's a little tied up with the Indy 500, Mike Conway's going to be commentating this weekend in his place.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Also the thread's title man, Lucas Di Grassi, has been signed up by Abt for next year.

And Citroen are set to be announced as entering the series as powertrain provider for Virgin.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Aaaaaand that's Formula E ruined within one year. Watch as Citroen buy their way to success yet again, killing yet another series in the process. [/intense hyperbole]

Edit: Damnit, was ninja'd by AndreaModa. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Big mess on the first lap... that is what happens when you have a field full of F1 rejects at Monaco. :facepalm:
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Bobby Doorknobs

Reject_Dom wrote:Big mess on the first lap... that is what happens when you have a field full of F1 rejects at Monaco. :facepalm:

Abt started it. He's no F1 reject ;) Scary crash though.
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

Buemi is now the first two-time winner in Formula E and the first to win from pole. And of course, it was another great race :)
#FreeGonzo
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And still, anyone new to the series could jump in one of the cars in Berlin and end up champion at the end of June.

I notice Jean-Eric Vergne had the fastest lap, which would at least show there's some point to continuing after the first-lap wreck - and Charles Pic finally scored points for the other China Racing car (or whatever they're calling it this week). This leaves only the #18 car now driven by Tonio Liuzzi with a blank scoresheet.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

What was the reason for the shortened track? Is the official track layout a copyright owned by Bernie or something? Or could they not make it up the hill?
Just For One Day...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Because they don't want a direct comparison between FE and F1.
Everything's great.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Salamander wrote:Because they don't want a direct comparison between FE and F1.

Possibly for the best. It was a bit weird though. It was liked they'd unlocked a cheat or something.
Just For One Day...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I loved Liuzzi's driving - extremely slow for no apparent reason and weaving at times, therefore truly bringing back the spirit of Deletraz.

I can't quite work out what his aim was. If he was one of those caught up in the crash at the start and had to change cars early then that would make sense, but I seem to remember that he changed cars at mid-distance.

So presumably he had significant damage but not enough to make it worth changing the first car for, and kept going in case there were only 9 other finishers?
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Slightly bored by Nick Heidfeld (and his long hashtags)?
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

While I'm not really a fan of FanBoost, I was thinking that there should be a voting which would be open to only spectators on the track.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I think I've said it at every race weekend. FanDrain is the answer. If you want the internets to appreciate your event en-masse, given them the chance to vote down against someone. People respond far better to negativity than positivity. FanDrain will make FE the most popular motorsport on the planet overnight.

Or better still, combine a voting element of FanDrain with a team-controlled element. You can drain the energy of three rival cars once each during the race. Rival factions emerge. Teams form unofficial alliances to block-drain certain rivals. Supporting a particular team becomes tribal. You support Team A, you respect Team B (for the moment, at least....), and revile Team C. You show your support very openly and trash talk your rivals. People can't stop arguing about it.

You don't like the idea of FE being turned into a high-tech Wacky Races? Boo! You are boring! If the cars can't be the fastest, they need to one-up rival series through another method. This is it. Us vs Them is the most powerful gimmick in sport. FE will become an unstoppable machine if it embraces it.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Samster

Post by Samster »

Jarno Trulli got a surprise pole today in Berlin and as a result we saw the Trulli train return in full force as he was gradually passed by the entire field bar Salvador Duran who had damaged his front wing earlier. :D Unfortunately he also allowed Lucas di Grassi to open up a huge lead early on and there were no safety cars all race to allow anyone to catch up.
Bobby Doorknobs

Di Grassi has been disqualified. Turns out Abt have illegally modified the front wing. This means Piquet now has the championship lead and Custard is now the race winner.
#FreeGonzo